Author Topic: Groundskeeper Fired for Turning in Gun  (Read 3635 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Groundskeeper Fired for Turning in Gun
« on: May 15, 2012, 04:34:55 PM »
Guess that zero tolerance thing isn't just for schools. Maybe there's more to the story, but on the face of it, he's got a good chance of winning a lawsuit.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/05/15/detroit-groundskeeper-fired-after-finding-loaded-gun-handing-it-to-cops/?test=latestnews
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

MechAg94

• friend
Re: Groundskeeper Fired for Turning in Gun
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2012, 04:47:30 PM »
Wow.  Bureaucratic stupidity on display again. 

Other than cutting the hiring budget by firing a long term employee, what benefit is there to firing this guy from the bureaucrat's perspective?  You know there wasn't anyone running around demanding he be fired.  I can't imagine anyone would have been critical if they had just ignored it or just made a new policy on what to do in this situation.  I guess I don't understand the value of being able to flex my bureaucratic muscles and play with people's lives.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

brimic

• friends
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2012, 05:01:46 PM »
A good case for keeping found guns and giving them a good home.

I'm wondering if Detroit has run 'gun buy backs' where guns could be turned in with no questions asked?
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2012, 05:07:59 PM »
You know there wasn't anyone running around demanding he be fired. 

This is why I wondered if there's more to the story. Guy finds gun. Guy turns gun into police. At this point, how do the bureaucrats know he did so, unless he filed a report that said, "I found a loaded gun while at the jobsite and turned it into the cops."? Most bosses would say, "good job." Either the boss is  a total idiot or maybe one of his coworkers didn't like him and told the boss, "Joe was carrying a gun on the job."
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2012, 05:48:15 PM »
A good case for keeping found guns and giving them a good home.

I'm wondering if Detroit has run 'gun buy backs' where guns could be turned in with no questions asked?
Since the gun was found to be stolen, I am not sure that would be a good strategy.  Last thing I would need would be to forget it's origin and use it to defend myself a few years later only to have the cops arrest me for possessing or carrying a stolen gun. 

I would be happier if I could know the gun got back to its original owner. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Jamie B

• friend
  • I am Abynormal
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2012, 05:57:52 PM »

He did technically carry an unknown loaded weapon on his person while working.
(I find this crazy regardless of policy.)
He probably also transported it to his home incorrectly.

It does look like his supervisor was aware of the situation, which was not helpful at all

Common sense would have dictated that he call the police right away - problem solved.

I wonder if he was going to keep it, and changed his mind after taking it home....

Still crazy with the bureaucratic twist of stupidity.
Greatness lies not in being strong, but in the right use of strength - Henry Ward Beecher

The Almighty tells me He can get me out of this mess, but He’s pretty sure you’re f**ked! - Stephen

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2012, 06:33:09 PM »

It does look like his supervisor was aware of the situation, which was not helpful at all

Common sense would have dictated that he call the police right away - problem solved.

I wonder if he was going to keep it, and changed his mind after taking it home....

I sort of wonder this too.

Although it is Detroit. I'm not sure expecting rationality or common sense is reasonable here either.

He's white, which in the City of Detroit, and presumably the municipal .gov makes him a minority too.

Or it's not discrimination, and they've wanted to be rid of him for other reasons, and jumped on this as the excuse.

Without a follow up story, not sure we'll ever know.
I promise not to duck.

just Warren

• friend
  • My DJ name is Heavy Cream.
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2012, 06:41:03 PM »
If the b-rat is actually being an idiot and this story gets enough attention the guy will get his job back. Scott Walker could even intervene and maybe score a brownie point with the unions
Member in Good Standing of the Spontaneous Order of the Invisible Hand.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2012, 09:20:55 PM »
Scott Walker could even intervene and maybe score a brownie point with the unions
Wrong state.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

just Warren

• friend
  • My DJ name is Heavy Cream.
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2012, 11:38:19 PM »
 :facepalm:

Well, he could still make a call... :laugh:
Member in Good Standing of the Spontaneous Order of the Invisible Hand.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2012, 09:43:37 AM »

The article said he DID call the police right away and they never showed up. 

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2012, 10:06:44 AM »
The article said he DID call the police right away and they never showed up. 

Sorry Mech, the article says "Chevilott secured the gun, waiting for police to drive by so he could hand it over to them.
But, according to the station, the Detroit police never did pass by, so Chevilott finished his work that day, drove the gun home and later that same evening turned it into his local police department."

As quoted from an artlce found at the following link   http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/05/15/detroit-groundskeeper-fired-after-finding-loaded-gun-handing-it-to-cops/?test=latestnews#ixzz1v2d8IUmc

And that was probably his biggest mistake...not just leaving it lie, standing over it, and calling the cops.  Granted, I don't think anything he did justified termination, but his choice of actions left him a target for the idiots he works for....
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2012, 10:27:18 AM »
Sorry Mech, the article says "Chevilott secured the gun, waiting for police to drive by so he could hand it over to them.
But, according to the station, the Detroit police never did pass by, so Chevilott finished his work that day, drove the gun home and later that same evening turned it into his local police department."

As quoted from an artlce found at the following link   http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/05/15/detroit-groundskeeper-fired-after-finding-loaded-gun-handing-it-to-cops/?test=latestnews#ixzz1v2d8IUmc

And that was probably his biggest mistake...not just leaving it lie, standing over it, and calling the cops.  Granted, I don't think anything he did justified termination, but his choice of actions left him a target for the idiots he works for....

This is what's making me suspect he might have been dithering about just keeping it, and it's just not a sufficiently established "fact" that it can be reported, but the parties concerned, him, the rest of the crew with him, his supervisor, and whoever it was above his supervisor "know" that's probably the case.  Then he "turned it in" to cover himself when he decided he wasn't likely to get away with it.

Either that, even if his intentions were pure, how he went about this is just a symptom of his overall goofiness and incompetence, and they'd been looking for an excuse to terminate him for awhile now.

Maybe I'm over-estimating average human intelligence, but don't most folks know things like where the gun was found and stuff like possible fingerprints might be important to police?

And wouldn't a municipal grounds crew JUMP at any chance to just "stand around waiting" if they called the police, and "watched the gun" rather than continuing with their work?  :P

IMO, if there's no follow-up story to say he's suing, or was reinstated, it's an indicator there probably was some sort of bad intent, or at least gross incompetence involved, and they won't run that or air it because "fired for (good) cause" isn't interesting enough.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2012, 10:32:18 AM by AJ Dual »
I promise not to duck.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2012, 12:29:26 PM »
Okay Chris.  I guess I took that to mean he called someone.  I'm surprised neither he nor his supervisor did that.  I would also think he should have taken it immediately to a police station instead of waiting until later once he decided the police were not coming by.

Lee

• friend
« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2012, 10:59:15 PM »
So lesson learned - keep mouth shut -keep gun - keep job.