Author Topic: USDA Supports EPA and UN With Meatless Mondays  (Read 2394 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
USDA Supports EPA and UN With Meatless Mondays
« on: July 26, 2012, 10:47:42 AM »
To help save the planet from global warming of course. They are apparently backing away from the statement. I'd like to start "more meat Monday". Moo.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2012/07/26/usda-under-fire-for-backing-meatless-mondays-linking-ranching-to-climate-change/

"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

RoadKingLarry

• friends
Re: USDA Supports EPA and UN With Meatless Mondays
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2012, 10:58:02 AM »
I'm up for the More Meat Mondays.
How about a bacon, ham and sausage sammich, with a prosciutto garnish.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

brimic

• friends
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2012, 11:49:40 AM »
I'm up for the More Meat Mondays.
How about a bacon, ham and sausage sammich, with a prosciutto garnish.

Lets just go ahead and declare them to be 'Bacon Mondays' from now on.

"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2012, 12:44:08 PM »
I just want to know what the hell those people think we can do with all this arid land out here that you can't farm  :facepalm:

Buffalo fart too  :P
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2012, 12:56:32 PM »
There will be hunter-gatherers and there will be a ruling elite of bureaucrats.  You got a problem with that?

(The flaw in this is that with agriculture begat tax collectors and that begat bureaucrats...and what the hell...)
« Last Edit: July 27, 2012, 02:23:03 PM by longeyes »
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2012, 02:47:19 PM »
How about Soylent Green mondays?
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2012, 02:49:52 PM »
How about Soylent Green mondays?

Coming to a food line near you soon.
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2012, 03:11:16 PM »
Ah, the problem with modern politics of divide, divide, divide. I love the idea of more meat Monday, and national bacon day on days that end in Y. Problem is I also have some environmental awareness. I'm not going for cow farts=global warming anymore than I would dinosuar masturbation=rise of mammalia, but there are problems in farming that national, not supra-national governments can effectively address. One is agricultural run-off. There is no private market incentive for a farmer in western VA to fence their streams to protect the Chesapeake bay. Government can provide that incentive. Same with CRP that everyone stomped on to grow ethanol feed. In the end the farmers benefit whether from a healthy bay providing an alternate economy that lessens their tax burden or from agri-tourism(aka Hunting farmland).

As far as air quality, it makes zero ecological sense to cut down irreplaceable rain forest to raise McDonalds cows, but guess what Brazil does? A little regulation can actually make life better. Yet we stand on our opposite sides and chuck political bombs back and forth.

Speaking of which, ban the UN=much rejoicing.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2012, 04:35:38 PM »
it makes zero ecological sense to cut down irreplaceable rain forest to raise McDonalds cows, but guess what Brazil does?

Nor did it make sense to plow up the native prairie to plant wheat  =(
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

brimic

• friends
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2012, 05:28:39 PM »
Problem is I also have some environmental awareness. I'm not going for cow farts=global warming anymore than I would dinosuar masturbation=rise of mammalia, but there are problems in farming that national, not supra-national governments can effectively address. One is agricultural run-off. There is no private market incentive for a farmer in western VA to fence their streams to protect the Chesapeake bay. Government can provide that incentive. Same with CRP that everyone stomped on to grow ethanol feed. In the end the farmers benefit whether from a healthy bay providing an alternate economy that lessens their tax burden or from agri-tourism(aka Hunting farmland).

There's a lot of people on board with you, but when you have very bad governance, the knee jerk reaction is to lash back at them even if they have a good idea once in awhile. Their use of a 'good idea' historically has also been to get their foot in your door and leverage .gov more and more into your life.

The hypocrisy and arrogance of government has lost them any moral authority or respect that they might have had.
If you are forced to not only buy but also subsidize the production of a bad product (ethanol fuel) why wouldn't the first reaction to the government telling you to eat less meat be firing up the grill and throwing a porterhouse on it?
The UN- don't even get me started. Once they start cleaning up the slavery, human rights abuses, pollution, etc in their other member nations, they can start worrying about what's on my dinner plate...

In my particular area of the country, you will be sued out of existance if one of your cows does its business too close to a stream, yet the biggest city in my state (Milwaukee) routinely dumps billions of gallons of raw sewage into Lake Michigan every time it rains- with impunity.

It might take time, but the free market should fix the problems, though it can take time.
I used to laugh at 'organic' meats and vegetables, but now, I typically won't buy meat unless its local anymore. The mega factory farm has brought the prices of eats down, but at the same time have brought the quality down to the point where you are bringing a disgusting half-spoiled biohazard into your kitchen. The same can be done with runoff- market it as 'zero run off' meat. It might take awhile, but it will catch on.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

MrsSmith

• I do declare, someone needs an ass whoopin'
  • friend
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2012, 05:34:59 PM »
Meatless Mondays?

But but but .... I thought cows caused global warming? Eat the cows, no more global warming and all other problems would be resolved as a result.

America is at that awkward stage; It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards. ~ Claire Wolfe

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2012, 03:47:24 AM »
Meatless Mondays?

But but but .... I thought cows caused global warming? Eat the cows, no more global warming and all other problems would be resolved as a result.

The logic, it is infallible. Had a nice steak tonight, just doing my part.
AKA Navy Joe   

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2012, 09:44:20 AM »
Good lord, I'm an environmental special forces! Another nice steak last night!
AKA Navy Joe   

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2012, 11:59:04 AM »
To help save the planet from global warming of course. They are apparently backing away from the statement. I'd like to start "more meat Monday". Moo.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2012/07/26/usda-under-fire-for-backing-meatless-mondays-linking-ranching-to-climate-change/

So, basically, a religion.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2012, 12:08:04 PM »
So, basically, a religion.

Well, the Cath-licks already had Friday...
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa