Author Topic: Bwahahahaha Pigs Shot in Self Defense  (Read 3883 times)

yesitsloaded

• friends
Bwahahahaha Pigs Shot in Self Defense
« on: June 18, 2008, 09:06:47 PM »
You just can't make this stuff up.
http://www.cnn.com/2008/US/weather/06/18/midwest.flooding.pigs.ap/index.html

KINGSTON, Iowa (AP) -- Luck ran out for about a dozen pigs who escaped their flooded farm, swam through raging floodwaters and scrambled atop a sandbag levee in southeastern Iowa.
Officials said they killed the pigs over worries that they would weaken the levee.

Officials said they killed the pigs over worries that they would weaken the levee.
Click to view previous image
1 of 2
Click to view next image
more photos »

Des Moines County sheriff's officials shot the pigs Tuesday, not long after they reached the levee several miles from the nearest hog farm.

Officials said they killed the pigs over worries that they would weaken the levee. Onlookers said the animals were having a difficult time trying to maneuver their way off the sandbags, and that they scurried back into the water as people approached.

"Basically you cannot have something with a hoof walk on plastic and not poke a hole in the plastic and let water into it," said LeRoy Lippert, chairman of the county emergency management commission. "Hogs, they have a tendency to root and that would not have been good either."

He said the state veterinarian and other agencies were consulted, and that 10 to 16 animals were killed.Video Watch pigs stranded on roof »
Don't Miss

* Floodwaters surge over Midwest levees
    * Report: FEMA still shaky with aid distribution
    * AC360 Blog: A river still rising
    * iReport.com: Are you in flood zone? Send photos, video
      Impact Your World
          o See how you can make a difference

"It happens every day. My gosh, that's what slaughterhouses do -- that's how we get bacon and pork chops," Lippert said. "It's just one of the casualties of the flooding situation."

The carcasses were left at the site and treated essentially as road kill, Lippert said. "You don't get them out of the mud and over the dike when you're worried about people and people's property," he said.

Louisa County Sheriff Curt Braby said he had heard about the incident and understood why the pigs needed to be killed.

"They did not want to take a chance on losing a city due to a few hogs," he said.
advertisement

Lippert noted that out of about 36,000 pigs in the Oakville area, officials estimated that only a thousand or so were left behind when the floodwaters came through.

"We trucked them as far as 200 miles away to other hog farms so that they would be taken care of," he said. All residents in the area had been evacuated, Jefferson said.

I don't really know if that was the "best" option. Better than dying in a flood because of pigs I guess.
I can haz nukular banstiks ? Say no to furries, yes to people.

LadySmith

• friends
  • Veni, Vidi, Jactavi Calceos
Re: Bwahahahaha Pigs Shot in Self Defense
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2008, 10:53:05 PM »
Understandable, but sad to read about something struggling to live only to be put down in the end.
And they won't even be eaten.  sad
Rogue AI searching for amusement and/or Ellie Mae imitator searching for critters.
"What doesn't kill me makes me stronger...and it also makes me a cat-lover" - The Viking
According to Ben, I'm an inconvenient anomaly (and proud of it!).

yesitsloaded

• friends
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2008, 04:38:01 AM »
How hard would it have been to just get the pigs off the levee?

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2008, 04:40:02 AM »
"It happens every day. My gosh, that's what slaughterhouses do -- that's how we get bacon and pork chops," Lippert said. "It's just one of the casualties of the flooding situation."

Truth.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

Bigjake

• friend
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2008, 04:42:47 AM »

Have you ever messed with swine personally?  Ornery critters they are.  Hogs that don't want to be moved tend to get their way, and a bunch of well meaning ammatures pry would've just sustained injury or hurt the levee. 

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2008, 04:46:02 AM »

Panicky animal of low center of gravity coupled with extremely high mass? Yeahno.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2008, 05:18:40 AM »
"They did not want to take a chance on losing a city due to a few hogs," he said.

Learning from the New Orleans experience .... Wink
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

yesitsloaded

• friends
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2008, 05:19:16 AM »
Do they swim? I was half raised on a farm I swear. We just don't have pigs.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2008, 12:27:41 PM »
Pigs shouldn't be on the loose, anywho.  They might hurt folks. 
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Mabs2

• friend
  • セクシー
    • iCarly
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2008, 01:44:38 PM »
Yea I seen Mike Rowe handle pigs, dun wanna try it.
Quote from: jamisjockey
Sunday it felt a little better, but it was quite irritated from me rubbing it.
Quote from: Mike Irwin
If you watch any of the really early episodes of the Porter Waggoner show she was in (1967) it's very clear that he was well endowed.
Quote from: Ben
Just wanted to give a forum thumbs up to Dick.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2008, 05:45:56 PM »
That was near my hometown, shining moment for the Sheriff's department to make national news. I think they were concerned with the pigs hooves tearing a hole in the plastic of the sand levee and causing a breech.

Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

yesitsloaded

• friends
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2008, 06:25:19 PM »
I just know they had a bbq later that day.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2008, 01:16:13 PM »
That was near my hometown, shining moment for the Sheriff's department to make national news.

A shining moment for America.  We're so screwed up now, we think it's newsworthy when cops dispatch nuisance animals in a disaster situation. 

old school

« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2008, 02:51:18 PM »
I grew up on a ranch and I can tell you that a full grown hog on the loose is more than a match for even large strong men. I watched my 6'-6" 250# father and my 6'-4" 240# uncle get their big burly butts dragged around the yard, bitten and kicked by a 350# hog that did not want to go back in his pen. This went on for about an hour and a half and ended in the loud report of a 44 mag. We were not planning to slaughter that weekend, but for him, we made an exception. Pork chops anyone?
We now know who the real man is.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2008, 02:54:00 PM »
That was near my hometown, shining moment for the Sheriff's department to make national news.

A shining moment for America.  We're so screwed up now, we think it's newsworthy when cops dispatch nuisance animals in a disaster situation. 

24 hour news channels covering an hour's worth of news. It's that, or repeating celebrity scandals.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2008, 07:33:11 PM »
I grew up on a ranch and I can tell you that a full grown hog on the loose is more than a match for even large strong men. I watched my 6'-6" 250# father and my 6'-4" 240# uncle get their big burly butts dragged around the yard, bitten and kicked by a 350# hog that did not want to go back in his pen. This went on for about an hour and a half and ended in the loud report of a 44 mag. We were not planning to slaughter that weekend, but for him, we made an exception. Pork chops anyone? 

That lower center of gravity can be very helpful.  Or so said my judo teacher.   smiley

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #16 on: June 20, 2008, 08:48:03 PM »

I used to herd escapee pasture pigs with a pitch fork, be surprised how you could control a "nasty" sow when you poke tines at her.

350#? that is like 100# over market weight WTF? Raising pigs for individual sale to city folks?

Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

old school

« Reply #17 on: June 21, 2008, 09:45:29 AM »

350#? that is like 100# over market weight WTF? Raising pigs for individual sale to city folks?

Nope. Everything we raised for food was used at home. Pigs, chickens, eggs, milk and sometimes goats.
We now know who the real man is.

xavier fremboe

• friends
  • All-American Meanie
    • The Shop
« Reply #18 on: June 21, 2008, 11:31:44 AM »
Homer: You mean you're not going to eat BACON?
Lisa: No, Dad.
Homer: Or SAUSAGE or PORK CHOPS or HAM?
Lisa: Dad, those all come from the same animal.
Homer: Oh, suuuuure, Lisa ... some magic animal.
If the bandersnatch seems even mildly frumious, best to shun it.  Really. http://www.cctplastics.com