Author Topic: First US greenhouse gas auction set for Sept. 25  (Read 3894 times)

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
First US greenhouse gas auction set for Sept. 25
« on: September 21, 2008, 01:36:48 PM »
As long as it makes them feel better.  rolleyes

http://www.wtnh.com/global/story.asp?s=9047526

Posted September 21, 2008
5:22 PM

Albany, N.Y. (AP) -- Connecticut and nine other northeastern states this week will take steps to check global warming by conducting the nation's first carbon auction.

Environmental groups, energy producers, and government leaders will be watching closely as the Regional Greenhouse Gas Initiative sells carbon credits in the first of a series of quarterly online auctions. The cap-and-trade greenhouse gas reduction program, which aims to hold carbon dioxide emissions steady through 2014 and then gradually reduce them, is widely viewed as a model for future programs around the globe.

The approach is patterned after the acid rain-reducing program targeting sulfur dioxide that began with a New York law in 1984 and was expanded nationally with amendments to the Clean Air Act in 1990.

RGGI caps the total amount of carbon that power plants in the 10-state region can pump out of their smokestacks at the current level -- 188 million tons. Electric power generators must pay for allowances covering the amount of carbon they emit and RGGI will provide a market-based auction and trading system where the generators can buy, sell and trade the emissions allowances.

The initiative aims to gradually reduce carbon going into the atmosphere by lowering the cap in several steps, until it is 10 percent below the current level in 2018. During that 10-year span, businesses will have to reduce their emissions. Those that can't, because of cost or technical hurdles, can buy allowances from companies that have achieved cleaner emissions.
Avoid cliches like the plague!

HankB

• friend
Re: First US greenhouse gas auction set for Sept. 25
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2008, 01:39:17 PM »
Cap and trade: a crooked scam to milk you of more energy dollars and put them into the pockets of companies that don't actually produce or provide you with energy.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Modifiedbrowning

• friend
  • Best Avatar on APS
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2008, 03:32:34 PM »
Who the hell is
Regional Greenhouse Gas Initiative
and why should I care? Is this a government entity or a private group promoting a Ponzi scheme?
Give Peace a Chance,
Kill all Terrorists.

grislyatoms

• friends
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2008, 04:32:20 PM »
Who the hell is
Regional Greenhouse Gas Initiative
and why should I care? Is this a government entity or a private group promoting a Ponzi scheme?

Shame, shame. Where else will the funding come from to plant a few token trees in the middle of nowhere? laugh
"A son of the sea, am I" Gordon Lightfoot

Mabs2

• friend
  • セクシー
    • iCarly
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2008, 04:36:33 PM »
I like it because it's like auctioning your soul on eBay.
All you can do is write up a paper for the person saying they own it.

Anyway, I now have billions of "carbons" to auction off.
Any takers?
Quote from: jamisjockey
Sunday it felt a little better, but it was quite irritated from me rubbing it.
Quote from: Mike Irwin
If you watch any of the really early episodes of the Porter Waggoner show she was in (1967) it's very clear that he was well endowed.
Quote from: Ben
Just wanted to give a forum thumbs up to Dick.

280plus

• friend
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2008, 04:49:11 PM »
Damn, now that you mention it, I may have a few carbons around here that I wouldn't mind parting with as well.  laugh

Bigjake

• friend
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2008, 05:08:44 PM »
if ever there was a place that needed Nuked from Orbit, that location, on the 25th, is it.

Desertdog

• friends
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2008, 08:00:56 PM »
I saw an intersting show the other night.  It was on either History Channel or Dicovery Channel.  One experiment they did was made a rocket shape of metal on front and fins on back.  In the middle they made the body of round shaped dry ice (CO2) between the nose and fins with a rod hoding them together.  Then they released at a very deep part of the ocean.  At some point, I think it was 150 atmospheres, the CO2 quit boiling off.  The purpose was to see if CO2 could be stored at the bottom of deep oceans. 

An oil ompany was pumping CO2 removed from the methane back into the area where it was removed from.

MrRezister

• I resist. It's what I do.
  • friend
  • Shank, shank, shank mommy's ankles!
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2008, 04:22:45 AM »
CRAP!  Mom through out that box of vintage carbons that I had sitting in the basement since I was like 10.  Sheesh!
He never brought you an unbalanced budget, which is a perennial joke. He never voted himself a wage increase and, to this day, gives back part of his salary every year. He has always voted to preserve the Constitution, cut government spending, lower healthcare costs, end the war on drugs, secure our borders with immigration reform and protect our civil liberties.

freedom lover

• resident high school student
  • "Who is the Coon?"
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2008, 11:49:15 AM »
What are these carbons you speak of?

Edit: Never mind. I think I got the joke.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2008, 11:57:08 AM »
I would suggest that someone should attend with big cans of dry toner, and dump it all over while screaming that carbon should be free, and that sequestering it is cruel...

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2008, 12:08:29 PM »
That's a good idea, but there should also be a tractor pull and barbecue across the street. 
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

280plus

• friend
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2008, 02:58:18 PM »
That's a good idea, but there should also be a tractor pull and barbecue across the street. 
cheesy Why stop there?  grin

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2008, 03:48:39 PM »
What's Al Gore's take from this scheme?  How much will he net?
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Bigjake

• friend
« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2008, 04:56:08 PM »

I'd pay good money to attend an event including this across the street from their little scheme fest.

Crosshair

« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2008, 06:36:40 PM »

Years ago I saw a guy that had a tractor with two V8 engines on it. He couldn't compete in the "unlimited class" because the one limit they had was "one engine only." Darn thing could have towed the sled as far as he wanted. Straight pipes too. Darn thing looked like a flamethrower when he hit the gas.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2008, 08:40:04 AM »
Well, let's hope that fellow was buying carbon offsets.   police
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

MrRezister

• I resist. It's what I do.
  • friend
  • Shank, shank, shank mommy's ankles!
« Reply #17 on: September 23, 2008, 12:19:16 PM »
Wouldn't it be a great world if they held this auction and nobody bothered bidding?
He never brought you an unbalanced budget, which is a perennial joke. He never voted himself a wage increase and, to this day, gives back part of his salary every year. He has always voted to preserve the Constitution, cut government spending, lower healthcare costs, end the war on drugs, secure our borders with immigration reform and protect our civil liberties.