Author Topic: Image of bride, groom signing register deemed offensive to 'gays'  (Read 3891 times)

jsalcedo

QUEERLY BELOVED
Wedding painting 'too hetero' for homosexuals
Image of bride, groom signing register deemed offensive to 'gays'

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Posted: November 13, 2005
11:40 p.m. Eastern

© 2005 WorldNetDaily.com

Couples looking to tie the knot in Liverpool, England, no longer have an image of a traditional marriage overseeing their wedding, as the painting has been deemed potentially offensive to homosexual couples.

This portrait of a bride and groom was removed from the Liverpool Wedding Registrar's office, as it was ruled potentially offensive to same-sex couples

Starting Dec. 21, same-sex weddings, officially termed civil partnerships, will allow homosexual couples to sign documents in front of a registrar and witnesses, and have new pension and inheritance rights.

"We had two pictures up before. In one room there is a picture of a signing of the register with a young bride," Register Officer Janet Taubman said. "The other was of a Romeo and Juliet on a swing. They were innocent pictures, but the new paintings are less likely to offend. We are looking forward to the civil partnerships. People have been waiting a long time."

The old paintings have been replaced with portraits of Victorian landscapes.

Dr. Adrian Rogers, ex-director of the Conservative Family Institution, told the Sun newspaper: "This is ludicrous and the worst example of political correctness. This is an insult to every heterosexual couple that have been married at Liverpool register office."

Even Kevin Smith, a homosexual man who "married" his partner Hamilton de Oliveira told the paper, "Putting a landscape up is ludicrous, we're not offended by scenes of a heterosexual couple. We're not in the Stone Age."

jefnvk

• friend
  • I'll sleep away the days and ride the nights...
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2005, 03:49:45 AM »
So, if I were to say I am offended by a picture of a gay couple, I'd be called 'homophobic' or a 'gay basher'.  They say essentially the same thing, and they get 'I'm sorry we are hurtyour feelings, we'll bend over to make things right'
I still say 'Give Detroit to Canada'

jsalcedo

« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2005, 03:51:18 AM »
No that would be a "hate crime" for which they would put you in the "slammer"

End result the same.

Werewolf

• friend
  • Lead, Follow or Get the HELL out of the WAY!
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2005, 04:30:07 AM »
What I don't understand about this kind of thing is why the majority just keeps right on bending over and spreading 'em all the time hiding their true feelings about what ever situation their bending over for.

Wha' HAPPENED! When did it become a right NOT TO BE OFFENDED?

It's almost like the Fox is in charge of the Chicken House...
Life is short, Break the rules, Forgive quickly, Kiss slowly, Love
truly, Laugh uncontrollably, And never regret anything that made you smile.

Fight Me Online

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2005, 05:29:51 AM »
This is only the beginning...

RadioFreeSeaLab

• friend
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2005, 05:53:09 AM »
deemed potentially offensive to homosexual couples.
Potentially?  Has there been even one complaint?  So first we can't actually offend anyone, now we can't POTENTIALLY offend anyone?  I guess I'd better not speak, or leave my house then.

Iain

• friend
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2005, 06:40:12 AM »
There won't have been a complaint.

These sorts of things always stem from some over-sensitive busybody with a grasp on some minor power and by god he's going to use it.
I do not like, when with me play, and I think that you also

Bemidjiblade

• friend
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2005, 07:33:29 AM »
There don't need to be complaints.  More than one pastor in Canada has been legally charged for preaching portions of Christian scriptures traditionally understood to condemn homosexual activity as a sin.

Understanding only goes one way with the homosexual lobby.
The same is true of free speech, and tolerance.
They are to be the only ones with free speech, and they are to be the only ones tolerated.

And the increasingly fascist bent of political correctness is precisely what they want.

Jeff Fink

« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2005, 07:47:27 AM »
So what's good for the goose isn't necessarily good for the......goose?

Jeff

« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2005, 12:02:29 PM »
Even Kevin Smith, a homosexual man who "married" his partner Hamilton de Oliveira told the paper, "Putting a landscape up is ludicrous, we're not offended by scenes of a heterosexual couple. We're not in the Stone Age."
Holy crap. This is like taking down every possible sign of Christianity on any government building here in the US. I'm not a Christian - hell, I don't even believe in a god. But... argh. I hate this kind of crap. That's all I'll say. You all are intelligent enough to know why.

Paddy

« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2005, 02:41:50 PM »
Well, I'm offended by Victorian landscapes.  The Victorian era was a time of crass selfish disregard for the underprivileged and should not be honored.  Landscapes offend me because I have allergies, and looking at a portrait of landscapes makes me uncomfortable.

grampster

• friend
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2005, 02:58:53 PM »
You oppressors are not to question the complaints of the oppressed.  You are only to subject yourself to them.  Wait...does that mean the oppressors are now oppressed?

I'm confused........................
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

Stand_watie

• friend
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2005, 05:45:15 PM »
...They say essentially the same thing...
I'm guessing "they" isn't a homosexual person at all.  Are there major a-holes who are homosexual? Sure. But I doubt at any greater a % of the population than any other group. Simple statistics suggest that the a-hole responsible is probably heterosexual.

These sorts of things always stem from some over-sensitive busybody with a grasp on some minor power and by god he's going to use it.
A nice segue to one of my favorite Lewis quotes (a brilliant Englishman who saw the coming British/American PC police state coming more than sixty years ago)

Of all tyrannies a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies, The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.
Yizkor. Lo Od Pa'am

"You can have my gun when you pry it from my cold dead fingers"

"Never again"

"Malone Labe"

Antibubba

• friend
« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2005, 06:54:11 PM »
Notice the country of origin.  The English these days seem dreadfully afraid to risk offending anyone.
If life gives you melons, you may be dyslexic.

Standing Wolf

• friend
« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2005, 07:21:39 PM »
I think we should have let England become a German slave state: the English would have been just as unhappy, and we'd have saved a great many American lives.
No tyrant should ever be allowed to die of natural causes.

Bemidjiblade

• friend
« Reply #15 on: November 16, 2005, 07:48:37 PM »
Right, 'cause Hitler would NEVER have expanded past europe after consolidating his hold there.

SalukiFan

• friend
« Reply #16 on: November 17, 2005, 02:00:12 AM »
Quote from: Stand_watie
...They say essentially the same thing...
I'm guessing "they" isn't a homosexual person at all.  Are there major a-holes who are homosexual? Sure. But I doubt at any greater a % of the population than any other group. Simple statistics suggest that the a-hole responsible is probably heterosexual.
Stand_watie, that's a great point.  You can't fairly to jump to the conclusion based on this article that someone who was gay made this decision.  As a matter of fact, the only gay couple they quoted in the article thought the decision was ridiculous.  

Quote from: Stand_watie

A nice segue to one of my favorite Lewis quotes (a brilliant Englishman who saw the coming British/American PC police state coming more than sixty years ago)

Of all tyrannies a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies, The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.
Smiley +1 and I wish I could give you +1,000.  

In the most likely scenario, some petty bureaucrat thought they would exercise their power to show how progressive they were or because they thought gay people would care about this (which I seriously doubt for the majority).

matis

• friend
« Reply #17 on: November 17, 2005, 05:39:21 AM »
Just more PC BS.

matis
Si vis pacem; para bellum.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #18 on: November 17, 2005, 06:13:10 AM »
It's almost like the Fox is in charge of the Chicken House...
No, I'm pretty sure it's the chickens that are in charge.......
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

RadioFreeSeaLab

• friend
« Reply #19 on: November 17, 2005, 01:40:14 PM »
Holy crap. This is like taking down every possible sign of Christianity on any government building here in the US. I'm not a Christian - hell, I don't even believe in a god
Exactly! I do believe in God, but I can never understand how "atheists" can get so bent out of shape by a religious symbol.  If you people truly believe that there is no god, then how is a cross different from any other symbol?  Seems to me some atheists get really worked up over a god they say they don't believe in.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #20 on: November 20, 2005, 11:47:57 PM »
More than one pastor in Canada has been legally charged for preaching portions of Christian scriptures traditionally understood to condemn homosexual activity as a sin.
As a bisexual, I am unamused.

...what the hell happened to, you know, relgious freedom?
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #21 on: November 21, 2005, 05:46:49 PM »
Quote from: MicroBalrog
More than one pastor in Canada has been legally charged for preaching portions of Christian scriptures traditionally understood to condemn homosexual activity as a sin.
As a bisexual, I am unamused.

...what the hell happened to, you know, relgious freedom?
Somehwere along the line "freedom of religion" turned into "freedom from religion".

There are people out there who think the mere existence of religion in the world violates their rights.  They don't think it's fair that they are occasionaly reminded of religion.

I don't understand it, but I've seen it plenty of times.  These types seem to be threatened by religion.  

It bothers them that some people believe that there is more to life than "me, myself, and I".  It bothers them that some believe there are consequences to our actions.  It bothers them that some believe in the concepts of sin and morality.

Some people don't like to be reminded of these unpleasant little details.  They try to tear down religion at every opportunity.

For some that's easier than taking a good, hard look in the mirror.