Author Topic: Gun Safety Video  (Read 3892 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
Re: Gun Safety Video
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2009, 10:39:23 PM »
At least the cop monitoring the filming quickly steped in to get the gun pointed in the right direction again.

"Do you need to change your pants?"   :O
Formerly sumpnz

Physics

• ∇xE=-1/c·∂B/∂t, ∇·E=4πρ, ∇·B=0, ∇xB=1/c·∂E/∂t, F=q(E+v/cxB)
  • friend
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2009, 01:29:18 AM »
I let my general physics prof shoot my AR and he did the exact same thing; turned with the barrel lined up with my chest, finger on the trigger and a round chambered.  That was the last time I don't give a safety lesson before shooting. 
In the world of science, there is physics.  Everything else is stamp collecting.  -Ernest Rutherford

myrockfight

« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2009, 01:38:11 AM »
That was the last time I don't give a safety lesson before shooting. 

The last time? There shouldn't ever be a first! No offense.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2009, 08:10:20 AM »
The last time? There shouldn't ever be a first! No offense.

Because nobody makes mistakes? ;/
The rules that we take for granted, also seem like common sense.  A gun is a weapon.  Pointing the business end at someone doesn't seem like a good idea.  But for some people, the brain-connect isn't automatic.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Ex-MA Hole

• friend
    • The Brown Bomber
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2009, 08:50:30 AM »
I took a young lady shooting this summer a couple of times.

Each trip I went over the four rules as we were packing up the car.

I went over them in the car.

I went over them at the club.

She kept laughing at them.  She said they were simple and that only a moron would break them.  I pointed out that things happen, she laughed.

On her third trip to the range, she was doing great until a piece of brass flew down her shirt.

She quickly turned at me to see what she should do as it was burning her.

The loaded gun was pointed directly at me.

I told her to turn downrange NOW.

She did, then turned white, then put the gun on safe, put it down, I went and threw up.

I strongly encouraged her to shoot again that day.

She now understands how seemingly intelligent people can make mistakes.

One day at a time.

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2009, 08:53:20 AM »
i wonder if mounting a laser for the first hour would be illustrative
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2009, 08:58:20 AM »
On a first time range-trip that's really the ONLY rule I teach.

KEEP IT POINTED THAT WAY.

I get into the "four rules", however, I really just deal with keeping the firearm pointed downrange no matter what. And I specifically address the issues of jams, unexpected things with the firearm or from shooting it causing questions, and hot brass.

I literally have them practice setting the firearm down on the shooting bench while keeping it pointed downrange, and backing away from it. They don't have to clear the action, turn on a safety, anything. Just set it down. That way they have a default action to fall back on for anything that happens.

The one exception I give them to deal with is the potential for a hang-fire, however that's vanishingly rare.
I promise not to duck.

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2009, 09:00:39 AM »
I've done it the same way Aj describes it.  Keep it simple.  You point it that way and shoot.  I'll do the rest.  In the days before I married SWMBO, I made it a practice to stand real close, with my arms around the young lady I was helping, to "make sure the gun was safely pointed the right direction."   >:D

No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2009, 11:07:28 AM »
Thank the Good Lord for that policeman!

As far as newbies, I cover the Four Rules and then emphasize AJDual's admonition.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2009, 11:53:13 AM »
Without negating the seriousness of the situation, it was kind of comical to watch her get a semi-annoyed look as she tried to get around the officer so he wouldn't block her shot (in both senses of the word I suppose).
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Racehorse

• friend
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2009, 01:47:26 PM »
What's really scary is shooting clay pigeons with a newbie and a someone throwing them by hand that's not very good.

My first couple times trying it, being fairly inexperienced with guns, I caused a couple people to need a change of underpants. I was just following the clay and didn't notice until too late that a few people happened to be in between the shotgun and the clay. Oops. I had the muzzle pointed over their heads, so even if I had pulled the trigger, I wouldn't have hit them, but it was a royally stupid thing to do.

And no, they weren't standing in front of me or the thrower, but off to the side. There just happened to be some REALLY bad throws.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2009, 07:24:27 AM »
What's really scary is shooting clay pigeons with a newbie and a someone throwing them by hand that's not very good.

My first couple times trying it, being fairly inexperienced with guns, I caused a couple people to need a change of underpants. I was just following the clay and didn't notice until too late that a few people happened to be in between the shotgun and the clay. Oops. I had the muzzle pointed over their heads, so even if I had pulled the trigger, I wouldn't have hit them, but it was a royally stupid thing to do.

And no, they weren't standing in front of me or the thrower, but off to the side. There just happened to be some REALLY bad throws.

Dove season in SW Arizona is an interesting experience.  I've been shot with bird shot a number of times, luckily its been more of a birdshot shower...shots aimed high raining down on my head downrange....
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Gowen

• Metal smith
  • friend
    • Gemoriah.com
« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2009, 08:27:59 AM »
What really would of helped the lady is hearing protection and a 22 auto.  From her first shot she was startled and it just went down from there.  The rules are the same regardless of the caliber.
"That's my hat, I'm the leader!" Napoleon the Bloodhound

Gemoriah.com

drewtam

• friend
« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2009, 04:07:37 PM »
Saw this old Saturday Night Live skit last night, this excerpt was a pretty funny jab at the NYT.
NYT employee is briefing the reporters on blending in with Alaskans.

JASON
You don’t have to worry about Polar Bears. They’re all way up on the Arctic slope, so the only place you’ll see one is a zoo. Now let’s talk about Alaskan culture. Who can tell me what this is?
(JASON HOLDS UP A LARGE “ART CARD” WITH A PHOTO OF A DOUBLE-BARRELED SHOTGUN, WITH BREECH OPEN, AGAINST A BLANK BACKGROUND)
(CUT TO : C.U.: CARD)
CASEY
A revolver?
JASON
No.
ANDY
A semi-automatic assault weapon?
JASON
No.
BILL
(VERY CONFIDENTLY)
I believe the precise technical term would be a .357 magnum. More commonly, a “zip gun,” or “derringer.”
JASON
No. No it isn’t.
BILL
Really?
JASON
It’s a shotgun.
BILL
I’m not altogether certain that’s correct.
JASON
Yes. It is.
JAMES
Howland, I think Ted may be right.
BILL
Then we’ll agree to disagree.

By the way, this is just a small part of the infamous incest jokes about Sarah Palin back in '08. But this small section I found to be pretty truthful.
I’m not saying I invented the turtleneck. But I was the first person to realize its potential as a tactical garment. The tactical turtleneck! The… tactleneck!

doczinn

• friend
« Reply #15 on: December 22, 2009, 04:57:07 PM »
I once took the wife's friend's sister shooting. Went over and over and over the rules, which she swore she understood. Started her with a .22. First round, the brass bounces off the wall, then bounces off of her arm, and she moans in terror and turns and points the pistol at me.

That's when I added another criterion to my first-time shooter protocol:

One round in the first magazine.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2009, 08:13:55 PM by doczinn »
D. R. ZINN

Cromlech

• friend
  • English bloke
« Reply #16 on: December 22, 2009, 06:57:58 PM »
One round in the first magazine.
This sounds like an excellent rule to me.
When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt, run in little circles, wave your arms and shout!

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #17 on: December 22, 2009, 07:35:56 PM »
one good reason to start with a rifle, they need more time to swing it all the way around so you usually manage to stop them before the business end is pointed the wrong way.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds