Author Topic: Auto Headliner  (Read 3891 times)

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
Auto Headliner
« on: January 22, 2010, 02:15:25 PM »
The headliner inside my 13YO Nissan pickup is drooping.  I am 6' and it is driving me nuts.

It has been since the 1980s since I recall my dad pricing headliner replacement and I wonder what a fair / decent price would be?
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
Re: Auto Headliner
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2010, 02:22:17 PM »
You may have to replace the headliner. Many manufacturers have used a fitted piece of plastic-like material with the fabric already glued on. The entire headliner shell slips into place.

An auto upholstery shop wanted $500 to replace the drooping headliner shell on my beater Saturn. I used a staple gun to attach the offending areas. Not pretty, but functional.

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2010, 02:25:47 PM »
i rip em out and drive on
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2010, 02:40:02 PM »
I did it myself, and the fabric and glue cost me about $30, IIRC.

It was a dirty, nasty job but only took about an hour.  Worth the savings, IMO.

Wear goggles.  The dust/crap that falls out of the remnants of the headliner fabric you rip down will get in your eyes.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2010, 03:45:22 PM »
i rip em out and drive on

All that soft stuff is for sissies anyhow  :O
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Declaration Day

• friends
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2010, 04:06:05 PM »
3M makes an aerosol adhesive for that.  Pull the entire headliner out of the car, peel back the cloth, spray adhesive, re-attach the cloth, let it dry, re-install!

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2010, 04:07:54 PM »
3M makes an aerosol adhesive for that.  Pull the entire headliner out of the car, peel back the cloth, spray adhesive, re-attach the cloth, let it dry, re-install!

That sounds like a good idea.

I really don't know the allure of a cloth headliner.  They get dirty, are harder to clean, and then drop.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Declaration Day

• friends
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2010, 04:10:40 PM »

coppertales

• friend
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2010, 04:11:37 PM »
Be sure to clean the footprints off it first........chris3

alex_trebek

• friend
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2010, 04:40:23 PM »
A friend of mine ripped the headliner out when it happened to him. He then spray painted the exposed metal roof black, hid a holster in one of the crossmembers.

Food for thought...

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2010, 04:48:36 PM »
You can remove the entire headliner, peel back the cloth from the backing, spray, and put back. You may well get something that's sorta lumpy but it'll work. Another trick if caught early is to just nip a small hole, insert the straw of the spray adhesive into the hole, spray all around, and pat it back up. Much easier then yanking the hole damn thing down.
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2010, 05:02:52 PM »
Just a caution. The type of headliner I described can't be fixed with adhesives. Once the fabric separates from the plastic base it can't be reattached.

Tuco

• Fastest non-sequitur in the West.
  • friends
  • If you miss you had better miss very well
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2010, 05:07:23 PM »
I like the idea of Rhino-Liner, but I'm a barbarian on most things automotive. 
7-11 was a part time job.

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2010, 05:12:42 PM »
hmmm wonder what it would cause to rhino a cab after i pulled the seats   clean with a power washer
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2010, 06:42:20 PM »
Hmmm
I like the idea of Rhino-Liner, but I'm a barbarian on most things automotive. 

Actually not a bad idea.  Pull the form, rip off the cover, and have it Rhino Lined.  You can have it done in pretty much any color you want, including factory matches.  If nothing else it would cut down on interior noise.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2010, 06:51:45 PM »
Hmmm
Actually not a bad idea.  Pull the form, rip off the cover, and have it Rhino Lined.  You can have it done in pretty much any color you want, including factory matches.  If nothing else it would cut down on interior noise.

Brad
I thought interior noise reduction was the reason they used foamed fabric headliner in the first place.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2010, 07:11:30 PM »
I thought interior noise reduction was the reason they used foamed fabric headliner in the first place.

Huh?    =D
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2010, 08:34:36 PM »
I thought that the foam headliner was for Wisconsin road safety. To protect the driver and passenger's heads.
I promise not to duck.

crt360

• friend
« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2010, 09:33:31 PM »
I thought that the foam headliner was for Wisconsin road safety. To protect the driver and passenger's heads.

:laugh:

An eighth to a quarter inch of cheap foam covered by a cloth-like material that's insufficient for any other purpose?  Maybe it's to keep the Wisconsin kids from getting their tongues stuck to the frozen metal, or the Texas kids from melting the bottoms of their shoes.

Has anyone else noticed that headliners became increasingly crappy in American "luxury" cars from about the late 70s on?  It's almost like the automakers thought, "hey, these cars all have standard a/c, who's ever going to drive them with the windows down?"  Having driven Cadillacs and a Town Car that developed a/c problems, I found out quickly that the headliners were not sufficiently tested for windows down driving.  And that foam.  What a mess.  Sticky little crumbs swirling around.  It's like the same foam that companies stuck in battery compartments on old radios and toys twenty or more years before.  Everyone knew that stuff was cheap and didn't last long.  So they hid it under ten cents worth of cloth.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2010, 01:04:04 AM by crt360 »
For entertainment purposes only.

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #19 on: January 23, 2010, 12:03:33 AM »

Has anyone else noticed that headliners became increasingly crappy in American "luxury" cars from about the late 70s?  It's almost like the automakers thought, "hey, these cars all have standard a/c, who's ever going to drive them with the windows down?"  Having driven Cadillacs and a Town Car that developed a/c problems, I found out quickly that the headliners were not sufficiently tested for windows down driving.  And that foam.  What a mess.  Sticky little crumbs swirling around.  It's like the same foam companies stuck in battery compartments on old radios and toys twenty or more years before.  Everyone knew that stuff was cheap and didn't last long.  So they hid it under ten cents worth of cloth.
Splain please?  What's headliner got to do with putting the windows down?

crt360

• friend
« Reply #20 on: January 23, 2010, 01:01:49 AM »
Splain please?  What's headliner got to do with putting the windows down?

The strong breeze coming through the windows at driving speed disassembled the cheap fabric/adhesive/foam setups in a very short amount of time.

The first sentence of the second paragraph should have "on" at the end.  Sorry, I didn't mean to limit it to that short period.  I'll fix that.
For entertainment purposes only.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #21 on: January 23, 2010, 08:48:40 AM »
DIY:  Herculiner.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #22 on: January 23, 2010, 04:11:14 PM »
:laugh:

An eighth to a quarter inch of cheap foam covered by a cloth-like material that's insufficient for any other purpose?  Maybe it's to keep the Wisconsin kids from getting their tongues stuck to the frozen metal, or the Texas kids from melting the bottoms of their shoes.

You'd be surprised. The headliner is glued to a fiberglass shell. I have two older pickups, same make and same model. One of them came to me sans headliner. The difference in how much road and wind noise I get through the roof panel is significant.

JoAnne Fabrics sells the fabric (with the foam backing) and the adhesive. It's not terribly difficult to remove the old panel, brush off the old foam & adhesive, and glue on new fabric. It's a bit messy/dusty, but not difficult.

Unfortunately for me, the second PU didn't even have the mold board. Just the bare steel roof. :(
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

chefman

« Reply #23 on: January 23, 2010, 10:07:47 PM »
Hawkmoon got it right! I used to replace headliners(foam-backed type). Pull out the old headliner board by removing enough trim to slideit out. Be careful with it though the are fairly easy to break. Rip the old fabric off and rub all the residue left on the board with a leather-gloved hand. It should rub right off. Lay out enough of the new foam-backed liner, foam up, on a flat surface. Spray both the material and the board and working kind of quickly lay the foam on to the board on gently smooth it into place with yor hands. If you use a very light touch you should be able to reposition any wrinkled places. Once you get it just where you want it, smooth it down firmly. It will not come off again. Using a razor blade be sure to cut any holes you might need for visors or coat hooks. If there is a portion of the liner that isn't covered by trim be sure to leave a little extra fabric, about 1 1/2 inches to fold over to the back(top) so you will have a smooth edge. The bodyman that taught me could do these in 20 minutes. I could do them in about an hour. It really isn't as complicated as it sounds, once you see it.    George
Just because you stepped in it don't mean you have to stand in it....just sayin'