Author Topic: New member Introductions  (Read 3887 times)

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
New member Introductions
« on: October 02, 2010, 03:22:31 AM »
Hello, I searched on "introduction" and "New member" and only found 2 short, old topics so I started one. Please feel to point me to the proper thread and I will introduce myself there.

I'm a former Master Mechanic/Racer turned computer geek who was forced to retire due to medical issues December 17 of 2009. I have been married to my wonderful wife 29 years now and she to is a shooter too! We are from Louisiana, She's a Shreveport gal and I was raised in Lafayette up till my mom died when I was 13 and then we moved around a bit till I graduated High School and volunteered to join the Navy just as Nam was ending. I was slightly disabled in service and was released with an Honorable Medical Discharge and moved to Shreveport where I worked as a mechanic and met and married my wife Terri.

My disability worsened and spread but the V.A. said they would help me out so I took a bunch of tests thinking they would send me to a trade school but they said "Which college do ya want to go to and what do you want to be? Pick anything, your scores are great!" So off to Louisiana Tech in Ruston I went to become a Mechanical Engineer! After getting beat down to a Technical Writing major due to my poor Trig/Calculus abilities, I had discovered and took off with computers soon building my own business and getting good at most all aspects of computing. During this time I also got my FFL and opened a small appointment only office front I shared with a much larger business. Long story shortened considerably, I climbed the ranks of my profession and became a Sr. Programmer/Analyst and my job took me to Bentonville, AR (home of Wal-Mart) to work for Brass Eagle Paintball and then to Charlottesville, VA.

I finally hit the wall and we lost everything when my old body finally gave completely out and we sold what we didn't just have to have to live, gave the bank back our SUV, moved home to friends and family in Shreveport and filed for Chapter 7 bankruptcy and started from scratch just entering our 50s.

I have always been into hunting. plinking and self defense and started getting politically involved with the Virginia Civil Defense League (VCDL) quite heavily before moving home and have been looking for a similar organization here. Since I am "retired" I spend most of my day on the web on 2A blogs and forums and staying in touch with my many friends. I hope I can make a new bunch of friends here and we can help our country grow and prosper through our efforts in supporting the Second and all the other amendments of our Constitution.

Getting interviewed after speaking to the General Assembly for the VCDL in VA.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2010, 03:31:50 AM by HeroHog »
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

Cromlech

• friend
  • English bloke
Re: New member Introductions
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2010, 06:39:00 AM »
Hello and welcome! I like the Hero Hog avatar.  =D
When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt, run in little circles, wave your arms and shout!

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2010, 09:34:11 AM »
Thanks, It is the new upgrade from these:
v1.1

v1.2

v1.3

Live
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2010, 09:37:16 AM »
Machinist racer shooter geek here. I'm sure you'll fit right in.

Wait I don't fit in. [tinfoil]

Have fun.

jim
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2010, 09:54:20 AM »
So how did you become HeroHog, and what are your super powers?
« Last Edit: October 02, 2010, 06:40:45 PM by Fistful »
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2010, 09:55:57 AM »
Welcome to the party....hope you know what you're getting into....

=D
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

Lennyjoe

• friend
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2010, 06:11:34 PM »
Welcome aboard. New guy supplies the ammo.

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2010, 10:27:56 PM »
So how did you become HeroHog, and what are your super powers?
First of, my wife collects pigs. We even had one of those little Pot Bellied rascals (SMART as the dickens!). Anyway, I saw this cartoon doodle by John K. of Ren & Stempy/Spumco fame and he looked like v1.1 above, I didn't know what the double H stood for so I assumed it was "Hero Hog" and adopted that as my handle and avatar MANY years back in Web time. Later I learned he was "He Hog the Atomic Pig". My HeroHog has no back story other than the one I just told. I am known for my knowledge of racing mechanics, trivia (my friend calls me "a cesspool of useless knowledge" and I got a job as a Classic Rock FM DJ by constantly being on the air winning all-in trivia on 100k watt LA105.3 in Monroe LA, I was "Dr Speed") and being VERY handy with computers.
MOLON LABE!

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2010, 10:31:24 PM »
Welcome aboard. New guy supplies the ammo.
You drop by when we are shootin and 100 rounds of .22 or 50 rounds of 9mm, .38spl or .44 mag are on me!
MOLON LABE!

geronimotwo

• friend
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2010, 07:44:30 AM »
You drop by when we are shootin and 100 rounds of .22 or 50 rounds of 9mm, .38spl or .44 mag are on me!

welcome, and if you ship me the ammo could we be virtual plinksters?

btw,  hh live is the best!
make the world idiot proof.....and you will have a world full of idiots. -g2

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2010, 11:38:57 AM »
Get a room, you two!

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2010, 11:46:47 AM »
First of, my wife collects pigs. We even had one of those little Pot Bellied rascals (SMART as the dickens!). Anyway, I saw this cartoon doodle by John K. of Ren & Stempy/Spumco fame and he looked like v1.1 above, I didn't know what the double H stood for so I assumed it was "Hero Hog" and adopted that as my handle and avatar MANY years back in Web time. Later I learned he was "He Hog the Atomic Pig". My HeroHog has no back story other than the one I just told. I am known for my knowledge of racing mechanics, trivia (my friend calls me "a cesspool of useless knowledge" and I got a job as a Classic Rock FM DJ by constantly being on the air winning all-in trivia on 100k watt LA105.3 in Monroe LA, I was "Dr Speed") and being VERY handy with computers.

So what you are saying is that you have read all of these: http://www.amazon.com/gp/search/ref=sr_kk_1?rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3Auncle+johns+bathroom+reader&keywords=uncle+johns+bathroom+reader&ie=UTF8&qid=1286120722   =D
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

-bp

« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2010, 02:40:08 PM »
hi hero hog and everybody. i'm -bp (bill price). work at a univ near dc, fix tv stuff and microwaves and antennas.

i have pet rats, play chromatic harmonica, shoot airguns because real ammo is so expensive all my real guns are gathering dust. i'm old, curmudgeonly, out of shape and always carry at least a mousegun.

i have been writing a back page humor column for popular communications magazine for the last 15 years or so. i think the shift key is a pain in the ass. i have a ham license, but don't use it.

stay well,

-bp
I'd have a higher score if I didn't miss so many targets.

grampster

• friend
« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2010, 02:44:34 PM »
Uh oh.  We have a clone here.  Wonder who of? :P    casd ??? =D
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

seeker_two

• friend
« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2010, 02:51:26 PM »

i have a ham license, but don't use it.

!!! RUN, HERO HOG...IT'S A TRAP !!!
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2010, 03:47:12 PM »
i have been writing a back page humor column for popular communications magazine for the last 15 years or so.

http://www.popular-communications.com/pc_highlights/2010_pc/1010_pc/1010_pc_toc.jpg
We has the Google, Bill. Welcome.  =)
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2010, 03:54:08 PM »
Yes, be careful they are VERY fond of bacon around here.  ;)
Avoid cliches like the plague!

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2010, 09:52:22 PM »
So what you are saying is that you have read all of these: http://www.amazon.com/gp/search/ref=sr_kk_1?rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3Auncle+johns+bathroom+reader&keywords=uncle+johns+bathroom+reader&ie=UTF8&qid=1286120722   =D
Actually, no! I just come across a nd read a LOT of crap and, well, it sticks. Stuff I NEED to remember, not so much! Funny how my mind works. I soaked up mechanics and computers like a sponge. Memorizing Trig Functions and then being able to use them in Calculus, not so much! Wanna know the firing order of 99% of Chevy small blocks made from the 60's to the 2k? Can't forget it! Stuff like that.

As to
Quote from: 280plus
Yes, be careful they are VERY fond of bacon around here.
I think this hog as been left out and is well spoiled and not fit for consumption. Ask my wife!
MOLON LABE!

M1911a1lvr

« Reply #18 on: October 03, 2010, 10:54:28 PM »
Hello all I am new to this site, but am an old hat when it comes to gun blogs. I am known on alot of them by the same moniker i use here. so let's bring it on to the new guy here......

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #19 on: October 03, 2010, 11:24:16 PM »
Howdy, one and all. 

Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

seeker_two

• friend
« Reply #20 on: October 03, 2010, 11:26:37 PM »
Welcome aboard, M1911a1lvr......and just how long have you loved the 100 y.o. ladies?......

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #21 on: October 04, 2010, 07:21:03 AM »
I soaked up mechanics and computers like a sponge. Memorizing Trig Functions and then being able to use them in Calculus, not so much! Wanna know the firing order of 99% of Chevy small blocks made from the 60's to the 2k? Can't forget it! Stuff like that
Yup, you'll fit right in around here.  :lol:

but am an old hat
You too...  ;)
Avoid cliches like the plague!

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #22 on: October 05, 2010, 07:11:30 PM »
Wanna know the firing order of 99% of Chevy small blocks made from the 60's to the 2k? Can't forget it! Stuff like that.

All I know is the firing order of a lawn mower engine.

But it's a lot to remember.

And I always forget whether you start counting from the right side of the engine or the left.

Welcome aboard, both o' ye!

-bp, I don't hardly use my ticket either, except for 2M.  Licensed in '76, IIRC, and I run hot and cold on ham stuff in about a seven-year cycle.

Terry, 230RN
« Last Edit: October 06, 2010, 04:19:49 AM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.