Author Topic: So, do you squeeze a pop bottle to keep the drink fizzy longer?  (Read 3899 times)

Waitone

• friend
A serious metaphysical question here.  I squeeze the large pop bottles after pouring out a serving.  I am of the opinion that it keeps the drink from going flat longer than it normally would.  I've got engineer friends who do the same thing and others who don't.

What say you?
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds. It will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
- Charles Mackay, Scottish journalist, circa 1841

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it." - John Lennon

WhoKnowsWho

• http://whoknowswho.yafro.com
So, do you squeeze a pop bottle to keep the drink fizzy longer?
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2005, 05:47:50 PM »
I have done it from time to time, but I don't think it helps much, on the other hand, having the bottle on the side where the soda is covering the cap end seemed to help it from losing its fizz.

Oh yeah, http://www.stevespanglerscience.com/experiment/00000103

Jason

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2005, 12:11:58 PM »
Quote from: WhoKnowsWho
I have done it from time to time, but I don't think it helps much, on the other hand, having the bottle on the side where the soda is covering the cap end seemed to help it from losing its fizz.
I do the same thing myself. Though a 2lt of diet coke dosn't last long around me.
I had never thought of squeezing the bottle though.

DigMe

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2005, 06:14:07 PM »
If you think about the science behind the coke going flat I don't see how it could make a difference to squeeze the bottle before closing it.  

brad cook

cfabe

• friend
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2005, 07:27:13 PM »
No, but you can make a difference by keeping it cold instead of room temp.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2005, 09:24:00 PM »
Funny topic. I do it all of the time and it drives my wife nuts.

I squeeze the bottle to get the contents out faster.

Squeezing the bottle to keep the carbonation in won't work if you think about it- the plastic could just return to its normal shape as gas comes out of solution.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

Feanaro

« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2005, 01:50:46 PM »
Excuse me but what is "pop"?

Just kidding but I am required by ancient tradition to make fun of Yanks. Cheesy I don't do it. I can't see WHY it would enhance the life of Coke. And I have never noticed a difference. So the bottle stays like it is.
"The greatest productive force is human selfishness." Lazarus Long

P95Carry

« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2005, 02:27:24 PM »
Squeezing is IMO counterproductive - the bottle will, if enough CO2 remaining in solution - have to return to its max shape anyways - a fixed volume and depending on how much pop left - x mls of space.  It has to if you like ''inflate'' that bottle. Leave it unsqueezed and you already have full volume, and - some air.  IMO it'll take a bit less gas out of solution to reach a pressure equilibrium.

As a Pepsi addict (and Mountain Dew!) - I use 3L bottles - main requirement for me is - get cap back on and tight  after pouring - quick!!  I can use last glassful from end of bottle and still have some fizz.

My step son squeezes - AND - leaves the top off Grrrrr.  No wonder I have ''peronal'' bottles that no one else touches! Cheesy
Chris - P95
Guns don't kill people - people kill people.
NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.
Rohrbaugh interest/ownership? - Rohrbaugh Forum Rohrbaugh R9 FAQ Site

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2005, 09:19:24 AM »
Sounds to me like it would make it go flat faster. Squeezing the bottle causes pressure waves in the fluid. Any pressure wave, no matter how small, will shock some of the CO2 out of solution. I would try to jostle the bottle, or more specifically the fluid inside, as little as possible.

If you really want to keep the fizz at max, keep it cold and replace the cap with one of those nifty pump-up tops. Keeps everything pressurized. This should keep the amount of gas that comes out of solution to a minimum.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Chris

« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2005, 10:17:47 AM »
I used to squeeze, thinking that less space in the bottle means less space for the CO2 to escape the liquid.  I found the pressure pump works better, but isn't as easy.  My solution is to buy cans.  I drink less, and it's always fresh.

« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2005, 07:51:09 PM »
Its a SODA bottle by the way :p

thorn

• friend
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2005, 10:28:50 PM »
now this is funny -
in NY and CA it's SODA in a lot of other places, it's POP.  lets have a dumb argument , which is better?

Soda is the first word!
Pop is shorter and more fun to say!
soda soda soda
pop pop pop

me, i get bottles/ cans small enough to finish. hate 2 liters , if i have one,
"I used to squeeze, thinking that less space in the bottle means less space for the CO2 to escape the liquid"
i do that still.

DigMe

« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2005, 05:09:04 AM »
Quote from: thorn
now this is funny -
in NY and CA it's SODA in a lot of other places, it's POP.  lets have a dumb argument , which is better?
I don't say either.

brad cook

MaterDei

• friend
« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2005, 05:10:29 PM »
I buy all my coke in cans.  (notice that I'm using the generic little 'c' coke and not the specific brand name big 'C' Coke)  Where I'm from we don't say soda or pop either.  It's all just coke.  Coke is coke, Dr. Pepper is coke, Big Red is coke, etc.

publius

• friend
« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2005, 03:31:44 PM »
If squeezing worked to keep carbonation, would we have seen giant, flexible beer kegs, instead of those clunky metal ones that we keep in ice with a pump on top? Hmmm...