Author Topic: The Mount Hood Thread  (Read 5442 times)

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
Re: The Mount Hood Thread
« Reply #50 on: December 21, 2006, 05:01:28 PM »
mallory-hillary, who can keep up anymore grin

If they charge the family for the effort then Mexico should subsidize our ER's
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

Cosmoline

• friend
« Reply #51 on: December 21, 2006, 05:18:06 PM »
Everest isn't in Mexico

LAK

• friend
« Reply #52 on: December 22, 2006, 12:07:42 AM »
..... [Sir Edmund Hillary] said "I think the whole attitude towards climbing Mount Everest has become rather horrifying. The people just want to get to the top, it was wrong if there was a man suffering altitude problems and was huddled under a rock, just to lift your hat, say good morning and pass on by." He also told the New Zealand Herald that he was horrified by the callous attitude of todays climbers. "They dont give a damn for anybody else who may be in distress and it doesnt impress me at all that they leave someone lying under a rock to die.".
I am not surprized at all; a direct reflection of the effects of modern popular culture. Many might accuse someone like Rheinhold Messner of being foolish or obsessed - but I would be very surprized would he to have ever passed up a climber in distress in this way.

----------------------------------

http://ussliberty.org
http://ssunitedstates.org

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #53 on: December 22, 2006, 01:57:18 AM »
Mallory has been up there since 1924, so how many bodies do we think will have accumulated before the first one(s) finally blow away? undecided
Avoid cliches like the plague!

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #54 on: December 22, 2006, 05:32:20 PM »
anyway, even if Mallory really was the first up on top, wouldn't the film be degraded to the point
of being incapable of being processed by now?
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #55 on: December 22, 2006, 07:16:04 PM »
There are pictures of Mallory's body on one website.  The clothing had blown off his back, but the skin looked very well preserved, the whiteness is what had attracted the eyes of the searchers when they were doing the investigation.  He was half-buried in gravel when they found him, so after they did some research, they finished burying him in the gravel.
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"