Author Topic: Web Presence  (Read 699 times)

Ned Hamford

• friend
Web Presence
« on: August 17, 2012, 03:49:40 PM »
An article in a legal publication I get posed the question of 'do you trust someone without a web presence?'.  So.. well... do yah?

For the legal field, nope.  If you aren't even listed as a bar association member, I've some mighty low expectations.  As yet, I've not been wrong.  In my many year of practice, I've yet to encounter an exception.

This of course prompted me to go google myself. [30 Rock clip]  http://youtu.be/ZKEw7JNVcnw

For my name proper, numerous awards, professional listings, huzzah. 
For my Nom De Plum, gaming mostly.  And this gem from google' second page: http://www.armedpolitesociety.com/index.php?topic=31583.0;wap2
Having forgot about that, I am now laughing quite hard.  No guilt remains. 
Improbus a nullo flectitur obsequio.

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
Re: Web Presence
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2012, 05:00:33 PM »
For professionals it seems that the lack of a web presence is neatly a death knell - how else do you expect folks to know you are in business and can buy goods/services from you?

As for curmudgeonly Luddites?  Not so much.  I think my FacePage/MyBook account may still be there but I have not visited it for so long I cannot remember when the last time was.  (Yes, that normally would be more than 15 minutes ago, but regarding this I think it's been months.)  I have just never seen/understood what benefit it presents and am well aware of several negatives.  I know all you whippersnappers use it to gossip (and probably to say things about me behind my back) but since I don't gossip and whatever you say could not be as horrible as the truth I just don't care.  :P

stay safe.

PS - Ned, do you think it might be advisable to inform MrsSmith this is not about spiderwebs?
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

MrsSmith

• I do declare, someone needs an ass whoopin'
  • friend
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2012, 05:09:30 PM »
Oh ha ha.

Web presence is important for a business from a marketing standpoint and from the perspective of establishing credibility, in MOST businesses. However, looking up a little antique shop or a new mom & pop diner? Not so much. I will admit to being annoyed if I can't at least find a phone number and address online, but I'm growing more and more curmudgeonly by the year.
America is at that awkward stage; It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards. ~ Claire Wolfe

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2012, 09:10:40 AM »
Since I'm dealing with Rock Island Armory/Armscor right now, lack of a web presence really annoys me. For instance, I have to ship my new gun back to them, and they have a list of things they want me to include in the package. They told me over the phone that they want a description of the problem, # of rounds fired, my contact information, etc. But I wasn't able to write it down while I was on the phone with them, so how do I know I haven't forgotten anything? That's the sort of information they could put in an email, or on a web page.

But apparently, their web page has been this for quite some time now. An Armscor rep used to at least be active on one of the 1911 forums, and answer email, but that doesn't seem to be the case anymore. I had to actually pick up a phone before I could get any response from them.

This doesn't make any sense. Other people are going to be talking about you on the internet. Don't you at least want to put out your own information on your own web site? And don't you want to make sure your site is at the top of the search results? And if your company is successful, you should be able to afford it, right? :facepalm:  Then again, their customers do a pretty good job of doing marketing and advertising for them. Maybe they figure the money is better spent on the customer service department.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2012, 09:30:18 AM »
Dad doesn't have a web presence but he's one of the top dental lab technicians (the people who make false teeth) in the country. He does not deal with the general public, however. He goes through the dentist.
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!