Author Topic: webcam voltages  (Read 868 times)

zahc

• friend
webcam voltages
« on: March 12, 2014, 12:23:39 AM »
I have  set of toy "night vision" goggles which are basically a webcam and some IR LEDs. The battery pack (7.5v) is shot. I want to hook up a DC power supply, but  there are three wires...black, yellow and white. Why 3? It's possible the 5AA pack has an intermediate tap; also possible one of the wires is simply extra.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

Jim147

• friends
Re: webcam voltages
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2014, 12:43:40 AM »
Can you cut open the battery pack and see where the wires hook up? Maybe a sperate power to the camera and the IR with aa shared ground so you could power one or both?

jim
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

never_retreat

• Head Muckety Muck
  • friend
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2014, 09:59:56 PM »
I'd dissect the pack and see how it is wired. Unless you can get a little  charge on it and go pokey with the volt meter to figure it out.
I needed a mod to change my signature because the concept of "family friendly" eludes me.
Just noticed that a mod changed my signature. How long ago was that?
A few months-mods

zahc

• friend
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2014, 10:22:45 PM »
There is no taking the pack apart because it's all one molded part of the device. It would have to be dissolved in acid or something.

I guess I will assume black is ground and hook the yellow up to my power supply and just sneak the voltage up until something happens. It's broke anyway...
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2014, 10:37:58 PM »
I have  set of toy "night vision" goggles which are basically a webcam and some IR LEDs. The battery pack (7.5v) is shot. I want to hook up a DC power supply, but  there are three wires...black, yellow and white. Why 3? It's possible the 5AA pack has an intermediate tap; also possible one of the wires is simply extra.

Normally, yellow is data. Black and white/red are normally now.

It varies, though.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Azrael256

• friend
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2014, 10:39:44 PM »
Check the resistance between the black and yellow.  Then warm it up and check again.