Author Topic: Web-browsing trouble  (Read 4615 times)

Thor

• friend
  • US Navy (retired)
Re: Web-browsing trouble
« Reply #25 on: March 18, 2007, 11:06:03 AM »
Norton WILL conflict with AVG. I'm surprised that you didn't get that warning when you installed AVG.
" a sword never kills anybody; it's a tool in the killer's hand." - Lucius Annaeus

for Military, Vets, & Supporters, check out:
USMILNET

Conservative Discussion Forum

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #26 on: March 18, 2007, 11:15:12 AM »
Does anyone know if AVG fully supports Vista 64-bit?

GRISOFT is announcing a new version of the AVG Anti-Virus Free Edition. This new 7.5 version with improved performance and full compatibility with the latest Windows Vista version is available.

AVG Free
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

Calumus

• friend
« Reply #27 on: March 18, 2007, 12:46:59 PM »
After you uninstall norton make sure you go back into add/remove programs and get rid of the norton updater and all the rest of the crap symantec installs. You'd think they'd be bright enough to understand that if you're removing their product, you probably don't need or want an updater for their product to remain behind. Depending on which version you have there will be 1-3 additional components to get rid of. Next thing to try out is Open Office. No need to drop a couple of hundred bucks on M$ Office. Comodo firewall is a great free app too.
Cheers,
Shawn

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #28 on: March 18, 2007, 06:19:14 PM »
Thanks.  I uninstalled Norton and the Updater, and then got the removal tool from Norton's website.  Guess I need to uninstall the remover, too.   rolleyes
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #29 on: March 18, 2007, 06:30:30 PM »
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

MattC

• friend
« Reply #30 on: March 18, 2007, 06:44:00 PM »
Sergeant Bob, I ran into a problem where only 32 bit was supported by the corporate anti-virus software provided through my campus IT department.  I was hoping to find an explicit statement from AVG stating it was 64 bit compatible, but after reading your post (and that release note) I took it on faith.  It works well!  Thanks!

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #31 on: March 18, 2007, 07:06:08 PM »
I find Bork Bork Bork! to be useful for practical jokes  grin

The funny thing is, when I saw that link the first time, I was using IE, and the page wouldn't come up.  I just tried it in Firefox, and it came right up.   smiley

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #32 on: March 19, 2007, 04:27:20 PM »
I just loaded and ran CCleaner.  The ole number-cruncher is workin' a mite much faster now.  I'm thinking about getting Thunderbird as well.  Why do you all like it better than Outlook (not Express)?

I looked up Open Office as well, but the word processor seems like the only application I'd use.  Is it worth it? 

Thanks. 

Iain

• friend
« Reply #33 on: March 19, 2007, 05:02:14 PM »
You could also try Abiword, which I use in Linux. Seems nice and lightweight to me, had it running today on a PIII machine with about 128mb RAM under Xubuntu. Perfectly speedy. I really like it as a word processor too. http://www.abisource.com/download/

Mess about with Opera whilst you're in an experimenting mood. www.opera.com
I do not like, when with me play, and I think that you also

Calumus

• friend
« Reply #34 on: March 19, 2007, 05:20:25 PM »
Concerning Open Office, its free so if you don't already have M$ Office and you need a word processing program that's the one to get. As for other tools to get for Windows while you're in an experimentative mood look at Vopt  http://www.vopt.com/   Its $40, its a defragging and cleanup tool, and its the only piece of software other then an OS that I'm willing to pay for. It makes a huge difference in how well your computer performs. The defragger that comes with Windows XP is based on Diskeeper and isn't all that efficient or quick, and it doesn't have the options for optimizing your system that Vopt does. Get the trial and play with it. Chances are that the 1st time you run it it will take a while. This is because it rearranges things on your drive to be more efficient. After the 1st time you run it if you defrag once a week it won't take more then 10 minutes assuming you have a resonably quick system. Cheers,
Shawn