Author Topic: Why would anyone voluntarily travel to Mexico?  (Read 126 times)

Hawkmoon

• friend
Why would anyone voluntarily travel to Mexico?
« on: Today at 03:39:17 AM »
https://www.yahoo.com/news/bodies-mexico-presumed-missing-surfers-201432409.html

My late wife was from South America. She has a cousin who isn't a native Mexican but who has been a professor at a university in Mexico City for years. When he visited us while my wife was still alive, she asked about us visiting him. He said, "You can come -- you're a Latina. [Hawkmoon] can't come -- Mexico City isn't safe for Americans."

My wife has been gone for ten years, so this was probably 15 years ago. Things haven't gotten any better in Mexico since then. It's looking now like all of Mexico isn't safe for Americans, not even Cancun or Baja.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Re: Why would anyone voluntarily travel to Mexico?
« Reply #1 on: Today at 06:50:47 AM »
My nephew and his wife honeymooned in Cancun last year. They were in an all-inclusive resort with security.

Still couldn't convince me to go under any circumstances.

Which is a pity, because I'd love to see the ruins throughout Central and South America.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #2 on: Today at 07:54:13 AM »
My nephew and his wife honeymooned in Cancun last year. They were in an all-inclusive resort with security.

Still couldn't convince me to go under any circumstances.

Which is a pity, because I'd love to see the ruins throughout Central and South America.

My nephew in law, who is Mexican (but Spanish Mexican so he's white bread looking), takes my grandniece to Cancun every year. They always stay at the same kind of fancy resort with security, but these days I worry every time they go.

I've done Mexico and Central America for dive trips and seeing the Mayan ruins, including going well outside of normal tourist destinations, but that was some years ago. I don't think I'd take the, while small, still much larger than it used to be, risk of doing those trips these days.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #3 on: Today at 08:42:00 AM »
And, oddly enough, this dropped in Fox News today...

https://www.foxnews.com/world/mexican-authorities-reveal-bizarre-reason-they-believe-australians-american-were-murdered-surfing-vacation

Bodies of 3 surfers recovered from well in Baja California.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #4 on: Today at 12:47:34 PM »
And, oddly enough, this dropped in Fox News today...

https://www.foxnews.com/world/mexican-authorities-reveal-bizarre-reason-they-believe-australians-american-were-murdered-surfing-vacation

Bodies of 3 surfers recovered from well in Baja California.

And yet in the picture of the burned out truck the tires and wheels are still on it. I wouldn't expect the truth out of the Mexican authorities any more than I would expect the sun to rise in the west.

I am surprised at where it happened, we used to teach people to hang glide on the dunes at Rosarita Beach and go to Ensenada for fish tacos and beer all the time. That stretch of Baja from Tijuana to Ensenada used to be very heavily visited by Americans. Now days I wouldn't set foot in Mexico, secure compound all exclusive resort or not.

bob

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #5 on: Today at 12:55:54 PM »
I can't find any indication that that picture was supposed to be a picture of THE truck involved.

I think it's just a stock photo of a truck that looks like it's been involved in mayhem.

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #6 on: Today at 01:20:01 PM »
I can't find any indication that that picture was supposed to be a picture of THE truck involved.

I think it's just a stock photo of a truck that looks like it's been involved in mayhem.

That could be but CNN is showing a much closer picture of the same truck. We may never know because this is already moving toward old news and will soon go away completely.

bob

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #7 on: Today at 01:22:00 PM »
Interesting.

Maybe they decided that after the murder they'd better just burn the truck to get rid of any possible evidence? Taking the tires would definitely leave a possible trail that could be associated with the murderers.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #8 on: Today at 02:26:23 PM »
I haven't been there, but my employer was operating a reformer plant in Mexico.  I don't know where exactly.  The engineers who went down there had to have security wherever they went. 

Of course, at some point in the last year or two, the Govt of Mexico decided to take over the site and kicked my employer out. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #9 on: Today at 04:38:49 PM »
 Mexican friend at work, really a good guy.
 he is in his 50's and we were talking about social security.
 I asked him if he was going to go back to Mexico when he stops working.
He told me flat out, it is way to dangerous there.
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."