Author Topic: Grading papers... :)  (Read 3783 times)

Otherguy Overby

• friend
Grading papers... :)
« on: January 11, 2006, 10:11:31 AM »
The professor told his class one day:  "Today we will experiment with a  new form called the tandem story.  The process is simple.  "Each person will pair off with the person sitting to his or her  immediate right.  As homework tonight, one of you will write the first paragraph of a short story.  You will e-mail your partner that paragraph  and send another copy to me.  The partner will read the first paragraph and then add another paragraph to the story and send it back, also sending another copy to me.

The first person will then add a third paragraph, and so on back-and-forth.  "Remember to re-read what has been written each time in order to keep the story coherent.  There is to be absolutely NO talking outside of the e-mails and anything you wish to say must be written in the e-mail. "The story is over when both agree a conclusion has been reached." The following was actually turned in by two of his English students, Rebecca and Gary.

THE STORY:

First paragraph by Rebecca:
At first, Laurie couldn't decide which kind of tea she wanted.  The chamomile, which used to be her favorite for lazy evenings at home, now reminded her too much of Carl, who once said, in happier times, that he liked chamomile.  But she felt she must now, at all costs, keep her mind off Carl.  His possessiveness was suffocating, and if she thought about him too much her asthma started acting up again.  So chamomile was out of the question.

Second paragraph by Gary:
 Meanwhile, Advance Sergeant Carl Harris, leader of the attack squadron now in orbit over Skylon 4, had more important things to think about than the neuroses of an air-headed asthmatic bimbo named Laurie with whom he had spent one sweaty night over a year ago.  "A. S. Harris to Geostation 17," he said into his transgalactic communicator.  "Polar orbit established..  No sign of resistance so far..."  But before he could sign off a bluish particle beam flashed out of nowhere and blasted a hole through his ship's cargo bay.  The jolt from the direct hit sent  him flying out of his seat and across the cockpit.

Rebecca:
He bumped his head and died almost immediately, but not before  he felt one last pang of regret for psychically brutalizing the one woman who had ever had feelings for him.  Soon afterwards, Earth stopped its pointless hostilities towards the peaceful farmers of Skylon 4.  "Congress Passes Law Permanently Abolishing War and Space Travel",
Laurie read in her newspaper one morning.  The news simultaneously excited her and bored her.  She stared out the window, dreaming of her youth, when the days had passed unhurriedly and carefree, with no newspaper to read, no television to distract her from her sense of innocent wonder at all the beautiful things around her.
"Why must one lose one's innocence to become a woman?" she pondered wistfully.

Gary:
Little did she know, but she had less than 10 seconds to live. Thousands of miles above the city, the Anu'udrian mother ship launched  the first of its lithium fusion missiles.  The dim-witted wimpy peaceniks who pushed the Unilateral Aerospace disarmament Treaty through the Congress had left Earth a defenseless target for the hostile alien
empires who were determined to destroy the human race.  Within two hours after the passage of the treaty the Anu'udrian ships were on course for Earth, carrying enough firepower to pulverize the entire planet.  With no one to stop them, they swiftly initiated their diabolical plan.  The lithium fusion missile entered the atmosphere unimpeded.  The President, in his top-secret mobile submarine headquarters on the ocean floor off the coast of Guam, felt the inconceivably massive explosion, which vaporized poor, stupid, Laurie and 85 million other Americans.  The President slammed his fist on the conference table.  "We can't allow this I'm going to veto that treaty!  Let's blow 'em out of the sky!"

Rebecca:

This is absurd.  I refuse to continue this mockery of literature.  My writing partner is a violent, chauvinistic semi-literate adolescent.

Gary:
Yeah?  Well, my writing partner is a self-centered tedious neurotic whose attempts at writing are the literary equivalent of Valium.  "Oh, shall I have chamomile tea?  Or shall I have some other sort of F--KING TEA???  Oh no, what am I to do?  I'm such an air-headed bimbo who reads too many Danielle Steele novels!"

Rebecca:
ahole.

Gary:
Bitch

Rebecca:
F__K YOU -- YOU NEANDERTHAL!

Gary:
Go drink some tea -- whore.

TEACHER:
A+ -- I really liked this one
Guns
Motorcycles
Jeeps
Never enough!

zahc

• friend
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2006, 09:50:01 PM »
lol best thing I've read in ages.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

LadySmith

• friends
  • Veni, Vidi, Jactavi Calceos
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2006, 01:00:34 AM »
That was great cheesy
Rogue AI searching for amusement and/or Ellie Mae imitator searching for critters.
"What doesn't kill me makes me stronger...and it also makes me a cat-lover" - The Viking
According to Ben, I'm an inconvenient anomaly (and proud of it!).

SalukiFan

• friend
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2006, 05:38:48 AM »
Best...story...ever.

SalukiFan

Nathaniel Firethorn

• friend
  • Extra Thorny
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2006, 08:31:46 AM »
Anyone game for a serial story here?

- NF
Give up no state. Give up no ground.

http://www.njcsd.org

griz

• friend
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2006, 08:40:45 AM »
OK

Tactical Ted sat at his computer screen and dreamed of the day when the SHTF and the he would be forced to survive. In anticipation he had stockpiled an extra twelve cases of 9mm ammo and a gallon of fresh water. He was ready for anything.

Your turn:
Sent from a stone age computer via an ordinary keyboard.

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2006, 08:52:33 AM »
But 45 is better.

Next.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

cosine

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2006, 08:59:35 AM »
However, as Tactical Ted reasoned, he got more bang for his buck with 9mm, thus leaving him able to afford the neccesary gallon of fresh water.

Keep going.
Andy

Otherguy Overby

• friend
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2006, 09:17:58 AM »
Quote from: cosine
However, as Tactical Ted reasoned, he got more bang for his buck with 9mm, thus leaving him able to afford the neccesary gallon of fresh water.

Keep going.
Morphing is cool!   Smiley
Guns
Motorcycles
Jeeps
Never enough!

grampster

• friend
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2006, 09:59:28 AM »
But, Ted knew that 9mm would never do the job in the world to come.  As he sat, depression overwhelmed him as he looked at his stockpile of pathetic underpowered rounds.

He thought..."I know what 9mm is good for", as he slid one round into his Walther P99.  Again, he looked around the room.  All his plans, his hopes, his dreams, shattered in that one moment of weakness when he purchased these misbegotten rounds.

He slid the pistol into his mouth, sighed deeply and pulled the trigger........
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

Nathaniel Firethorn

• friend
  • Extra Thorny
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2006, 10:08:44 AM »
...and nothing happened.

"Durn it!" Tactical Ted fumed. "I knew I should have bought the Glock!"

Ted's suicidal musing was interrupted by a loud WHUP-WHUP-WHUP....

zahc

• friend
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2006, 10:39:10 AM »
The JBTs landed on his roof with a loud THUMP. They had been alerted to the presence of the black market pistol by reading the (now improved) RFID tracking device embedded in the metal. Poor Ted didn't realize that taking his pistol above ground, even inside, allowed them to read it via sattelite. Although he had wisely insulated his thoughts with foil, this blunder had pinpointed him as one of the few who dared to defy the Department of Homeland Antiterrorism. He would soon be in a fight against soldiers far better equipped (with 45s) and trained than he. They, however, didn't know about the C4...
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

cosine

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2006, 10:49:54 AM »
...planted around the perimeter of his property. Besides making the grave error of buying the Walther instead of a Glock, and of bringing a high-powered 9mm black market pistol above ground, he had also mistakenly prepared the defenses of his property against a land assult. By using the helicopters, the JBT's passed by the fortification which he trusted the most.
Andy

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2006, 12:12:03 PM »
Suddenly, the JBT's, who abide by strict government regulations for intra-office time management, stopped for their required 15 minute "rest interval" during which they consumed, per recent office policy, one cup of chamomile tea each.
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

bratch

• friend
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2006, 12:50:11 PM »
But the tea reminded them of their SOs back home

matis

• friend
« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2006, 02:13:52 PM »
As they sipped and mused, Tactical Ted thanked his lucky stars.

"Guns, vests and balaclavas they have," he chortled, "but gubmint employees they remain at heart."

Planting his remaining C4 in the hidden crevices he had earlier prepared at the entrance, he left the tattle-tale Walther in the planter, halfway back the hallway to his strong-room.

Then, retrieving the CZ52 he'd picked up on a whim...

matis
Si vis pacem; para bellum.

RadioFreeSeaLab

• friend
« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2006, 02:46:31 PM »
...he went to the restroom, where he flicked a secret switch behind the toilet.  The toilet lifted backwards on hinges, and Tactical Ted slipped down into the escape tunnel he had spent so many nights digging.  After a few minutes, he heard a loud BOOM and was covered in dirt.  Tactical Ted knew what had happened.  His C4 surprise had done the job.  He drew in a deep breath, and continued down the tunnel...

bratch

• friend
« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2006, 03:07:28 PM »
When he exited his tunnel he was just on the other side of the US/Mexico border...

Nathaniel Firethorn

• friend
  • Extra Thorny
« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2006, 05:24:55 AM »
...at the ultrasecret site of the Mythbusters Border Slingshot. Thinking quickly, he donned his Kevlar helmet and Gecko-45 trauma plate, hitched the sling to his electric cart, whipped out his samurai sword, put a brick (pure Columbian, man) on the accelerator pedal, and climbed into the sling. When the elastic was at maximum tension, he slashed at the hitch rope...

Art Eatman

• friend
« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2006, 05:34:37 AM »
...and fortuitously landed in the back of a truckload of tomatoes.  The soft landing, while giving him a tomato-pasty appearance, obviated any injuries.  His further good fortune lay in the truck's destination:  Guadalajara, where he could relate his adventures to Fred on Everything.
The American Indians learned what happens when you don't control immigration.

Otherguy Overby

• friend
« Reply #20 on: January 13, 2006, 08:49:36 AM »
Ted took a nap.  After a few hours  bees, attracted to the crushed tomatoes, woke him up.  While asleep his subconscious reprocessed the idea of seeking refuge with "Fred on Everything" might not be such a good idea.  After all, Fred is really just a vocal in-activist.  So, a rested Ted hopped off the truck, walked back north and then headed west on Route 2.  As long as he was in Mexico he figured he'd get some cheap dental work done in San Luis which is just across the border from Yuma.  A couple of days of hitched rides in several delapidated trucks got him there.

Ted's Spanish was good enough to ask a local or two to guide him to a "good" dentist.  Ted tipped the local and entered the office.  There were several people there waiting.  After waiting a little more than two hours, he was guided into the room with the chair.  He sat down, the assistant covered him with a white sheet.  Covered by the sheet, Ted pulled his double stack 1911 from concealment and held it in his right hand under the sheet.   The dentist soon came in and asked in excellent english what was needed.  Ted replied just a check up and cleaning was all.

The work was soon in progress, and all was well.  A few minutes more and it would be done.  Unoticed by the dentist and his assistant, another entered the room behind them...
Guns
Motorcycles
Jeeps
Never enough!

RadioFreeSeaLab

• friend
« Reply #21 on: January 13, 2006, 09:15:54 AM »
...And it was Fred...

bratch

• friend
« Reply #22 on: January 13, 2006, 02:33:27 PM »
who picked up a pair of pliers with an evil grin...

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #23 on: January 13, 2006, 02:44:59 PM »
-Chapter 2-

At a small cafe in Guthrie, TX, a well-attired man wolfed down a plate of gravy and biscuits, all the while sneaking glances out the side window...
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

bermbuster

• friend
« Reply #24 on: January 13, 2006, 04:41:14 PM »
He couldn't believe what he was seeing.  The most beautiful woman he had ever seen just parked a Porsche convertable in front of the restaurant window.  What a knockout.  Long blonde hair, great legs that went up to *here* and a body that he was sure he could never grow bored with.  She walked into the restaurant and headed straight for his table.  He wiped his face quickly with his napkin just in case there was gravy on his chin.

She sat across the booth from him and leaned forward.  He was sure his heart had stopped.  She spoke softly but in a very deep voice, "I am your contact here in Guthrie.  My name is George but you should call me Gigi."