Author Topic: hogs gone wild  (Read 7898 times)

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
hogs gone wild
« on: March 14, 2011, 09:45:05 PM »
its a tv show that shows guys "handling" wild hogs.  they make a big production outa live capture then haul em off.  why?  aren't they gonna kill em anyway?  i sure hope so. are we so lame as a society that we have to pretend its about live catch then off em off camera?
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

RoadKingLarry

• friends
Re: hogs gone wild
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2011, 10:01:33 PM »
My solution to hog overpopulation

If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2011, 10:54:55 PM »
That firearms show on Discovery, "Sons of Guns," I think it is called showed a hog being killed with a shotgun mounted on a 4-wheeler. Lots of good video of the actual shooting and the dead pig.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2011, 11:13:14 PM »
The only kind of hog hunting that impresses me is hunting (actually, more predator control than hunting) from a helo...there was a thread posted with an excellent video over at THR and several posters started bitching and whining about how "unfair" it was...they just did not get it.

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2011, 11:37:02 PM »
The only kind of hog hunting that impresses me is hunting (actually, more predator control than hunting) from a helo...there was a thread posted with an excellent video over at THR and several posters started bitching and whining about how "unfair" it was...they just did not get it.

I don't know...those guys that do it with nothing but a big knife and maybe some dogs are pretty damn impressive, too.  I sure as hell wouldn't want to tango with a pissed off pig with anything less than a boar spear, and even then only if I get some kind of armor. Being gored by tusks doesn't seem like a fun time to me.
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2011, 09:06:08 AM »
I think that many of those shows they are capturing the pigs in populated areas where shooting them is a no no.  A few on ranches. 
Cracks me up, though, because a properly built figure 6 trap will trap many pigs in a night. 
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

• friends
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2011, 09:08:52 AM »
the one was a 100 acre texas ranch  and they get in the pen with multiple pigs to hog tie em one by one and haul em away alive. and i saw a backhoe on the property that woulds been my tool of choice after a quick shot
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2011, 09:57:10 AM »
Feral pigs are very harmful to the ecosystem, they are little bulldozers. I'm can see why they live trap them because pigs are smart you start killing them in front of other pigs, the rest of the herd disappears and becomes hard to kill.

There are no wild pigs here, just feral populations.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

CSM Kersh

« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2011, 10:14:49 AM »
Three animals on the ranch where I hunt just South of Fredericksburg are on the shoot on sight list; stray dogs, cats and pigs.  
« Last Edit: March 15, 2011, 02:20:04 PM by CSM Kersh »
Sam A. Kersh
NRA Patron
csmkersh@thegunnerslair.com
My Web Page
When Seconds count the police are only minutes away.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2011, 01:42:14 PM »
As my Pappy likes to say:

"I haven't had this much fun since my baby brother fell in the slop and the hogs ate him!"
« Last Edit: March 15, 2011, 06:54:31 PM by Fistful »
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2011, 02:15:42 PM »
I don't know...those guys that do it with nothing but a big knife and maybe some dogs are pretty damn impressive, too.  I sure as hell wouldn't want to tango with a pissed off pig with anything less than a boar spear, and even then only if I get some kind of armor. Being gored by tusks doesn't seem like a fun time to me.

Dad's only intrest in hunting was after reading an article about hunting wild boars in the south pacific (can't remember the island) with pistols.

He thought that sounded pretty cool.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

• friends
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2011, 02:45:31 PM »
one of the hogs killed on the show was killed by the guys fairly petite wife with a pig sticker.  pig was hurting her dog she let the air out fast  one stick to the heart

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2011, 05:27:06 PM »
I thought the guys using a dog to hold the hog ended up killing one also. 

The whole time they were focusing on the hogs in the neighborhood being such a danger, I kept saying "Just Shoot Them!". 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

• friends
« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2011, 05:30:24 PM »
when they used a noose and then were worried it was too tight i was thinking ... why?  noose it off the grond a 22 tween eyes and then   next?!

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2011, 06:59:47 PM »
They may be trying to keep them as fresh as possible before slaughter.  Or just stupid liberal types that think that "euthinaziation" is somehow more humane than a .22 between the eyes.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2011, 07:07:43 PM »
They may be trying to keep them as fresh as possible before slaughter.  Or just stupid liberal types that think that "euthinaziation" is somehow more humane than a .22 between the eyes.

Can I +1 that? A lot?

The point of euthinaziating an animal is to kill it for its own good. Not for people emotional comfort. In some cases, for the ANIMALS sake, a bullet is a lot kinder then waiting for the solution to kick in.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

sumpnz

• friend
« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2011, 01:29:12 AM »
I turned it off after about 10 minutes when I realized they were live trapping them rather than killing them outright.  I can understand using a live trap to get the whole herd contained so they don't scatter when you shoot the first one.  But then why not just mow them down inside the trap once you have them?

I mean, short of it being too hot to process the animals before they'd spoil I just can't fathom a logical reason for that.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2011, 01:35:20 AM »
I turned it off after about 10 minutes when I realized they were live trapping them rather than killing them outright.  I can understand using a live trap to get the whole herd contained so they don't scatter when you shoot the first one.  But then why not just mow them down inside the trap once you have them?

I mean, short of it being too hot to process the animals before they'd spoil I just can't fathom a logical reason for that.

Who cares if they spoil? These hogs are like a plague of giant hooved rats. Hell, using anything less than helicopter gunships has, so far, proven ineffective against checking them.

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2011, 01:42:17 AM »
Who cares if they spoil? These hogs are like a plague of giant hooved rats. Hell, using anything less than helicopter gunships has, so far, proven ineffective against checking them.

I vote we get a helicopter gunship and see if that works.  =)

sumpnz

• friend
« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2011, 01:49:56 AM »
Who cares if they spoil?

Those of us that like bacon.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
« Reply #20 on: March 16, 2011, 02:19:02 AM »
Those of us that like bacon.

He has a definate point.  =)

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #21 on: March 16, 2011, 06:05:46 AM »
I vote we get a helicopter gunship and see if that works.  =)

Paging RevDisk, RevDisk to the white courtesy phone please.....

[popcorn] [popcorn] [popcorn] [popcorn] [popcorn] [popcorn]
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #22 on: March 16, 2011, 08:45:04 AM »
A lot of restaurants buy wild hogs and have them processed for food. It's a delicacy....which is kinda odd considering the wild hog population. I had the Roasted Wild Boar here Monday night....great stuff....  =D

http://www.loveandwarintexas.com/Hill.htm
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #23 on: March 16, 2011, 11:38:29 AM »
Paging RevDisk, RevDisk to the white courtesy phone please.....

Well, we don't make anything that's technically a gunship since the Commanche was canceled.  We do make utility, cargo and VIP helicopters that happen to take GE M134E or FN M2...   
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
« Reply #24 on: March 16, 2011, 12:14:54 PM »
Well, we don't make anything that's technically a gunship since the Commanche was canceled.  We do make utility, cargo and VIP helicopters that happen to take GE M134E or FN M2...   

I don't think anyone around here would be too picky. Helocopter + machine gun = happy.