Author Topic: Chiappa Adding RFID Chips To Their Guns  (Read 7328 times)

Waitone

• friend
Re: Chiappa Adding RFID Chips To Their Guns
« Reply #25 on: July 31, 2011, 10:34:13 PM »
The move to RFID for inventory control is being driven by Walmart and to a lesser extent the DoD. 
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds. It will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
- Charles Mackay, Scottish journalist, circa 1841

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it." - John Lennon

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #26 on: August 01, 2011, 01:48:25 AM »
You have to have a knowledge of the unique RFID codes in the Walmart store database.

Each unique product on the shelf with an RFID is individually track-able.  Without knowing the RFID code for a product, you cannot make a "false positive" event happen with a RFID of your own.

Considering how often they fail to deactivate items, it's not exactly rocket science to get a couple of tag IDs.

GigaBuist

• friends
    • http://www.justinbuist.org/blog/
« Reply #27 on: August 01, 2011, 10:06:57 PM »
The president of MKS, who sent out the press release about the RFID thing everybody got up in arms about, has responded:

http://cursesfoiledagain2.wordpress.com/2011/08/01/response-from-mks-supply/

The closing paragraph pretty much sums it up for me:
I am hoping that our ACTIONS of the past and future will show through and one comment that was supposed to produce a chuckle (unfortunately made us look like Jackasses) won’t forever hurt the way we are viewed. I guess I should have just re-stated that the glued in easy to find Barcode chip can be easily removed and left it at that.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #28 on: August 01, 2011, 10:09:07 PM »
NO! He's got Lon Horiuchi in his basement! They're plotting against us!
I promise not to duck.

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #29 on: August 01, 2011, 11:02:38 PM »
The president of MKS, who sent out the press release about the RFID thing everybody got up in arms about, has responded:

http://cursesfoiledagain2.wordpress.com/2011/08/01/response-from-mks-supply/

The closing paragraph pretty much sums it up for me:

If they would have just said that in the first place, it wouldn't have caused such a stir.
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

GigaBuist

• friends
    • http://www.justinbuist.org/blog/
« Reply #30 on: August 01, 2011, 11:19:27 PM »
If they would have just said that in the first place, it wouldn't have caused such a stir.

I know that, you know that, and even the guy that wrote the press release knows that.  He tried to make a joke, assuming we'd all get it, it bombed, and they've issued a proper mea culpa response when the controversy hit his inbox.

Way better than how HS Precision handled their Lon Horiuchi endorsement SNAFU.  They just doubled down on teh stoopid when that went down.

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #31 on: August 02, 2011, 09:41:02 AM »
I know that, you know that, and even the guy that wrote the press release knows that.  He tried to make a joke, assuming we'd all get it, it bombed, and they've issued a proper mea culpa response when the controversy hit his inbox.

Way better than how HS Precision handled their Lon Horiuchi endorsement SNAFU.  They just doubled down on teh stoopid when that went down.

Because of the owner's response and owning up to it, I would also put myself in the category of "if I am interested in their products, I would consider buying."  I am a little late to the party, re: HS Precision, if somebody could give me a brief synopsis it would be greatly appreciated.  I know about Lon Horiuchi from Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lon_Horiuchi), but what did HS Precision do with their endorsement?
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #32 on: August 02, 2011, 05:06:22 PM »
Because of the owner's response and owning up to it, I would also put myself in the category of "if I am interested in their products, I would consider buying."  I am a little late to the party, re: HS Precision, if somebody could give me a brief synopsis it would be greatly appreciated.  I know about Lon Horiuchi from Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lon_Horiuchi), but what did HS Precision do with their endorsement?

Posted Lon's endorsement on their website on official .gov letterhead and when people complained, alternately ignored them, or told them to FOAD.
I promise not to duck.