Author Topic: Zero Tolerance vs the ADA?  (Read 4382 times)

BryanP

• friendly hermit
  • friend
Zero Tolerance vs the ADA?
« on: August 28, 2012, 07:00:26 PM »
That's the showdown I see coming from this if nobody backs down.

http://www.1011now.com/home/headlines/Grand-Island-Preschooler-Forbidden-Sign-Language-for-His-Own-Name-167394325.html

Summary:

In Grand Island Nebraska a 3 yr old deaf child is in preschool. His name is Hunter.
The official sign language sign for his name is 2 fingers like a gun.
The school is insisting the child use a different name since their weapons policy bars any instrument that looks like a weapon.

No, I am not kidding.
"Inaccurately attributed quotes are the bane of the internet" - Abraham Lincoln

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
Re: Zero Tolerance vs the ADA?
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2012, 07:10:58 PM »
Saw this earlier on another forum.

Bunch of freaking idiots.
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2012, 07:40:05 PM »
But its for the chillruns!

Millions of chillruns are finger shot every year!

Oh the huge manatee!
« Last Edit: August 28, 2012, 09:49:41 PM by scout26 »
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2012, 07:47:40 PM »
Every day I am presented with another example of why the human race is doomed :facepalm:
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

ArfinGreebly

• Level Three Geek
  • friend
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2012, 07:51:47 PM »

Every day I am presented with another example of why the human race is doomed :facepalm:

For selected values of "human race."

"Look at it this way. If America frightens you, feel free to live somewhere else. There are plenty of other countries that don't suffer from excessive liberty. America is where the Liberty is. Liberty is not certified safe."

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2012, 08:21:41 PM »
The school is insisting the child use a different name since their weapons policy bars any instrument that looks like a weapon.

This must not happen.

At first I was going to suggest something like the Hawaiian Good Luck Wave, but realized the name would be used by school staff when communicating to him.

Therefore, a list of names school may let him use: WeAreABunchofFreakingIdiots, or WhoeverThoughtofThisShouldSucktheSweatOffHis$Bodypart, or UsingThisSignJustProvesZeroToleranceDoesNothingToSavetheChildren.

And every teacher, administrator, aide, cafeteria worker, janitor, bus driver, and crossing guard (did I leave anybody out?) must be taught how to sign his School Name and be tested monthly on doing it properly.

stay safe.

PS - Choice #2 has some real promise in providing returns under Zero Tolerance.  Please vote for Choice #2.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

SteveS

• The Voice of Reason
  • friends
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2012, 08:43:56 PM »
Wow, I say sue them.  Heck, I have time and should look into getting licensed in Nebraska.  I will do this case pro bono.
Profanity is the linguistic crutch of the inarticulate mother****er.

Lee

• friend
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2012, 10:08:48 PM »
That's too good for them. Someone give the kid a real gun...just to see if they recognize the difference.
This is so stupid, I can barely believe it's true.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2012, 12:00:16 AM »
Considering that the ADA is Federal anti-discrimination law, I predict that the Feds will win.

What's the kid supposed to do, use one name at school and another everywhere else?
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2012, 12:31:45 AM »
Seems like a perfect 1st Amendment case too.  (if one's own legal name isn't protected speech, what is?)
"It's good, though..."

HankB

• friend
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2012, 06:20:36 AM »
The proper sign to use when responding to the request that the kid change his name is a clenched fist with an upraised middle finger.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2012, 07:04:01 AM »
Go here http://www.torontosun.com/2012/08/28/deaf-boys-name-violates-weapons-policy-school and take the poll.  Although the majority of votes (105 when I voted) are in support of the kid keeping his name, I say there is a problem if it is not 100% in his favor.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

Jamie B

• friend
  • I am Abynormal
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2012, 07:18:17 AM »
Common sense dictates that his name be left alone.
Greatness lies not in being strong, but in the right use of strength - Henry Ward Beecher

The Almighty tells me He can get me out of this mess, but He’s pretty sure you’re f**ked! - Stephen

BryanP

• friendly hermit
  • friend
« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2012, 07:58:20 AM »
Considering that the ADA is Federal anti-discrimination law, I predict that the Feds will win.

That was kind of my point.  None of the articles I've found have directly addressed this being a possible ADA issue, but I don't see why it wouldn't apply.
"Inaccurately attributed quotes are the bane of the internet" - Abraham Lincoln

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2012, 08:43:02 AM »
Go here http://www.torontosun.com/2012/08/28/deaf-boys-name-violates-weapons-policy-school and take the poll.  Although the majority of votes (105 when I voted) are in support of the kid keeping his name, I say there is a problem if it is not 100% in his favor.

stay safe.

Currently 8145 sane people, 720 people who should never breed. You're right - even a single "no" or "not sure" vote is one too many for something like this, at least in America.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

brimic

• friends
« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2012, 08:45:06 AM »
Currently 8145 sane people, 720 people who should never breed. You're right - even a single "no" or "not sure" vote is one too many for something like this, at least in America.

America is run by the lowest common denominator- from school boards on up.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

grampster

• friend
« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2012, 09:01:01 AM »
Just once I'd like to sit on a board that had a member or several members that objected to nonsense like this.  My mockery of their nitwittery would be of Academy Award quality.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2012, 12:16:16 PM »

Unfortunately the website is for the Toronto (Canada) Sun newspaper.
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #18 on: August 29, 2012, 01:41:11 PM »
Unfortunately the website is for the Toronto (Canada) Sun newspaper.

But everybody knows that the liberals, like the ones in charge of zero-tolerance, think the Canadians have all he best ideas.  Just look at how they clamored to get Canadian-style health care.

Thus, what canadians think is very important.

stay safe.

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
« Reply #19 on: August 29, 2012, 03:00:37 PM »
You know, I think I just had an epiphany here.    The problem is CANADA!  Think about it.   Canadian health care...   Canadian BACON???  Neither of those are real things!   I mean, it has "bacon" in it, so it gets you all excited, but then, the disappointment sets in when you see what it actually is.   Same thing with their "health care".  Gets you all excited about "free health care!"  but then........

Canada is the Anti-reality!
Are you a cook, or a RIFLEMAN?  Find out at Appleseed!

http://www.appleseedinfo.org

"For some many people, attempting to process a logical line of thought brings up the blue screen of death." -Blakenzy

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #20 on: August 29, 2012, 03:45:03 PM »
You know, I think I just had an epiphany here.    The problem is CANADA!  Think about it.   Canadian health care...   Canadian BACON???  Neither of those are real things!   I mean, it has "bacon" in it, so it gets you all excited, but then, the disappointment sets in when you see what it actually is.   Same thing with their "health care".  Gets you all excited about "free health care!"  but then........

Yeah!  Where is the Hacker HellStorm when you need one?
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: August 29, 2012, 04:44:38 PM »

BLAME CANADA!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vxPRHXgYVlk

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #22 on: August 30, 2012, 10:38:57 PM »
http://www.1011now.com/home/headlines/School-District-Says-Deaf-Student-Not-Required-to-Change-Name-167784235.html

The school is backpedaling, but I can't tell that they've actually given up.  Looks like weasel-words; they don't demand that he change his name, just don't use the sign for it.

ACLU will eat them for lunch.  I wonder if FIRE will join in on the fun?
"It's good, though..."

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #23 on: August 31, 2012, 09:23:41 AM »
http://www.1011now.com/home/headlines/School-District-Says-Deaf-Student-Not-Required-to-Change-Name-167784235.html

The school is backpedaling, but I can't tell that they've actually given up.  Looks like weasel-words; they don't demand that he change his name, just don't use the sign for it.

For a sign talker, that's the same thing :(
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #24 on: August 31, 2012, 11:26:00 AM »
For a sign talker, that's the same thing :(

I know that.  I think they haven't really backed down yet, just released a misleading press report to take the heat off.
"It's good, though..."