Author Topic: I want five minutes alone with an automotive designer/engineer...  (Read 1546 times)

dogmush

• friend
Re: I want five minutes alone with an automotive designer/engineer...
« Reply #25 on: November 03, 2022, 08:56:04 AM »
Oh, so it's RTFM, is it?

=D

Alternatively:

https://forscan.org/home.html

https://www.amazon.com/Forscan-Scanner-ELMconfig-FoCCCus-Diagnostic/dp/B07MQ8GHG3/

If you fancy yourself a DIYer, or want to be able to fix or modify stuff, it's worth the 20 bucks.

Tuco

• Fastest non-sequitur in the West.
  • friends
  • If you miss you had better miss very well
« Reply #26 on: November 03, 2022, 08:58:04 AM »
:rofl:

I know, right? I wonder if whoever came up with that is still working there.  :laugh:

He only took tips!
7-11 was a part time job.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #27 on: November 03, 2022, 09:05:30 AM »
Alternatively:

https://forscan.org/home.html

https://www.amazon.com/Forscan-Scanner-ELMconfig-FoCCCus-Diagnostic/dp/B07MQ8GHG3/

If you fancy yourself a DIYer, or want to be able to fix or modify stuff, it's worth the 20 bucks.

I was gonna do it with the forscan app so as not to take chances, but is that some kind of forscan specific ODBII dongle with some kind of built in firmware/onboard software? I have an old ODBII scanner somewhere around here and was gonna just download forscan, but maybe I'm misunderstanding something? I have no problem spending twenty ducats on a specific interface though. That's dirt cheap.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #29 on: November 03, 2022, 09:28:41 AM »
I was gonna do it with the forscan app so as not to take chances, but is that some kind of forscan specific ODBII dongle with some kind of built in firmware/onboard software? I have an old ODBII scanner somewhere around here and was gonna just download forscan, but maybe I'm misunderstanding something? I have no problem spending twenty ducats on a specific interface though. That's dirt cheap.

That's the OBDII to USB interface cable.  It let's you use the (free) FORSCAN for Windows license, which is by far the better option than FORSCAN Lite for Android.  Slam it on a laptop, and plug the laptop in to the car and voila!.

You can get the extended license for $12 a year if you need to program PATS keys, or change fuel, timing, or boost maps.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #30 on: November 03, 2022, 09:34:18 AM »
That's the OBDII to USB interface cable.  It let's you use the (free) FORSCAN for Windows license, which is by far the better option than FORSCAN Lite for Android.  Slam it on a laptop, and plug the laptop in to the car and voila!.

You can get the extended license for $12 a year if you need to program PATS keys, or change fuel, timing, or boost maps.

Thanks, ordered. :)

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #31 on: November 03, 2022, 12:08:55 PM »
So many folks,  you may as well have the hood welded shut. Yeah, a new engine isn't going to "use" oil to the degree that an older engine will, but... they age faster than a methican american after you let it run too low just once...

Observation: Most of the "essential" folks didn't have problems during the covids - they took care of their vehicles. But I've seen a LOT of the "work from home" crew have some fairly major problems.

"I can't get an appointment at the dealer for three weeks! And they're MAKING me drive to meetings!"

"Just make sure the oil level is at the right place? Like I just showed you?"

"Huh?"
Blog under construction

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #32 on: November 03, 2022, 12:43:22 PM »

That brings up something I've been pondering the last few days.

If one were to take a small battery, such as a riding mower battery, and attach it to the vehicles' battery cables via small jumper cables, would that keep enough juice flowing to eliminate having to reprogram everything?  Or might it cause some other problem?
That used to be standard procedure to replace the BIOS batteries in electronic equipment.  Put an external supply on it until the change is made.  Otherwise, poof and you had to reload the BIOS.

WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.