Author Topic: San Francisco Sheriff Ousted  (Read 2360 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
San Francisco Sheriff Ousted
« on: November 04, 2015, 10:34:48 AM »
San Francisco's "sanctuary city sheriff" has been ousted by a 60%-30% margin. He was even too far out there for lefty SF.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2015/11/04/san-francisco-sheriff-loses-re-election-bid-amid-sanctuary-city-controversy/?intcmp=hpbt1

Personally, I believe he should have done jail time for his past transgressions, and what really gets my blood boiling is the below quote. What private citizen could so easily get a criminal record expunged? I don't even think it's easy to get a false arrest expunged for your average citizen.

For much of his term as sheriff, Mirkarimi was on criminal probation after pleading guilty in 2012 to a misdemeanor charge of false imprisonment stemming from an incident in which he bruised his wife’s arm during an argument.

In April, Mirkarimi had the conviction expunged after he completed his probation. Left unresolved was whether he could carry a gun on duty.

http://www.thegatewaypundit.com/2015/10/san-francisco-whistleblower-transferred-revealing-sheriff-ross-mirkarimi-not-qualified-possess-gun/#st_refDomain=t.co&st_refQuery=/iuSc1x93IK
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
Re: San Francisco Sheriff Ousted
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2015, 10:45:27 AM »
Good riddance to that piece of *expletive deleted*it.

Of course being that turds always float to the top he'll move on to bigger and better things...

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2015, 11:40:53 AM »
Good riddance to that piece of *expletive deleted*it.

Of course being that turds always float to the top he'll move on to bigger and better things...

New director of the FBI?

San Francisco's "sanctuary city sheriff" has been ousted by a 60%-30% margin. He was even too far out there for lefty SF.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2015/11/04/san-francisco-sheriff-loses-re-election-bid-amid-sanctuary-city-controversy/?intcmp=hpbt1

Personally, I believe he should have done jail time for his past transgressions, and what really gets my blood boiling is the below quote. What private citizen could so easily get a criminal record expunged? I don't even think it's easy to get a false arrest expunged for your average citizen.

http://www.thegatewaypundit.com/2015/10/san-francisco-whistleblower-transferred-revealing-sheriff-ross-mirkarimi-not-qualified-possess-gun/#st_refDomain=t.co&st_refQuery=/iuSc1x93IK

Ditto.  Laws are for little people.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2015, 04:19:55 PM »
Actually if one has no priors, pleads guilty (whether to that charge or a lesser charge), if you do your community service/probation/whatever, then the conviction is set aside as if it never happened.   Not really expunged, but simply a part of the plea deal, especially if you get a good lawyer.

All one has to do is see how many perhaps not so upstanding citizens go through the revolving door justice system.     
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2015, 04:42:56 PM »
Actually if one has no priors, pleads guilty (whether to that charge or a lesser charge), if you do your community service/probation/whatever, then the conviction is set aside as if it never happened.   Not really expunged, but simply a part of the plea deal, especially if you get a good lawyer.

But from my understanding, still on one's record. For instance, say you were arrested but you were the wrong guy. Cops let you go, but you've already been printed and photographed and your arrest is recorded. Now when you go to get a CCW in some jurisdictions, or a security clearance for example, you have to put down that you were arrested. While you were never punished under the law, you have an arrest record, and you always have to disclose that on certain legal forms.  It may theoretically be of no consequence legally, but I think people are predisposed to think, "He was arrested - he must be hinky". I'm sure that has closed job and other doors for some people.

I don't think you should have to. Especially when someone like this sheriff can get the record expunged for an actual crime.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2015, 06:23:34 PM »

I view the 'ease' as more that as law enforcement he knows about the ability to have that done, and as a high level official he has the resources to hire a good lawyer to get it done.  Still, sounds like he plead down from a DV charge, though from the description I don't know how serious it was, why the police became involved, etc...

And he probably quite deliberately went for a non-DV misdemeanor, otherwise he would have lost his job.

edit - "sooner", given the results.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2015, 09:01:14 PM by Firethorn »

Unisaw

• friend
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2015, 09:00:27 PM »
Thank goodness Seattle doesn't have a vacancy in a top cop position.  The loons around here would think this *expletive deleted*bag would be a great hire.
Well, if you have the sudden urge to lick your balls you'll know you got the veterinary version... K Frame

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2015, 09:01:58 PM »
Thank goodness Seattle doesn't have a vacancy in a top cop position.  The loons around here would think this *expletive deleted*bag would be a great hire.

Yep.

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2015, 09:48:35 PM »
The Vast Right-Wing Conspiracy claims another victim. Why do they hate our un-freedoms?   :'(
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2015, 10:14:19 PM »
IIRC, and I'll admit it's been a while since I filled out a job application, but they can only ask about convictions.  Simply for the reason you listed.  Arrest =/= Conviction.  It could be they arrested the wrong guy or you were found not guilty or whatever reason.  Not guilty is Not guilty.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2015, 11:30:35 PM »
IIRC, and I'll admit it's been a while since I filled out a job application, but they can only ask about convictions.  Simply for the reason you listed.  Arrest =/= Conviction.  It could be they arrested the wrong guy or you were found not guilty or whatever reason.  Not guilty is Not guilty.

For my OR CCW, they had a separate section for convictions, and another for arrests, where they specifically said, "even if the arrest did not result in conviction". Same on the SF-86. You're right though, I believe generally employers in the private sector can only ask about convictions.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2015, 12:05:22 AM »
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife