8 (15.7%)
Yes but with riots
9 (17.6%)
No but with riots
6 (11.8%)
Fish and chips
17 (33.3%)

Total Members Voted: 39

Author Topic: British exit of EU guesses  (Read 17065 times)

RoadKingLarry

• friends
British exit of EU guesses
« on: June 23, 2016, 02:23:41 AM »
Today's  the day. Will the British bail out of the sinking ship that is the EU?
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
Re: British exit of EU guesses
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2016, 06:24:10 AM »
I believe the killing of Jo Cox ended any chance of Brexit.  Until that happened Brexit was a real possibility.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2016, 07:06:42 AM »
The British have a slave and serf mentality more than even we in the US. Their national pride can only be found in support of their soccer team and welfare state. Otherwise they have been propagandized into perpetual self loathing.

I will truly be surprised if they grow a spine and leave the EU.
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2016, 07:12:37 AM »
I predict they will leave the EU, pop round to the chemist's, and buy some fags.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2016, 07:57:45 AM »
I believe the killing of Jo Cox ended any chance of Brexit.  Until that happened Brexit was a real possibility.

Damned convenient that...[tinfoil]
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

HankB

• friend
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2016, 08:04:09 AM »
Very likely true.

Watched some "talking heads" on TV and their consensus seemed to be "Leaving would be BAD because so many rich folks depend on EU membership for their cash flow."

We'll see how that argument plays as distance from Parliament and 10 Downing Street increases, but, sadly, Ron may have nailed it with his comments above.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2016, 08:17:34 AM »
Very likely true.

Watched some "talking heads" on TV and their consensus seemed to be "Leaving would be BAD because so many rich folks depend on EU membership for their cash flow."

We'll see how that argument plays as distance from Parliament and 10 Downing Street increases, but, sadly, Ron may have nailed it with his comments above.

Why do you hate rich people?
"Human existence being an hallucination containing in itself the secondary hallucinations of day and night (the latter an insanitary condition of the atmosphere due to accretions of black air) it ill becomes any man of sense to be concerned at the illusory approach of the supreme hallucination known as death."

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2016, 09:12:33 AM »
I honestly have no idea what will happen. I know the inclination of the British people only through the polls and they have been inconsistent lately.

So, fish and chips.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2016, 09:35:12 AM »
I voted yes, yes with riots, and fish & chips.

I suspect a YES vote will not end the issue, as the ruling class are not likely to give up a smidge of power just because the Brits want out.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2016, 10:27:29 AM »
Voted "no" and agree with Rocketman. The assassination changed things.

Funny, one of the things I heard a couple of days ago is that the EU commission has just outlawed the most ubiquitous type of electric teapot used in the UK (for environmental reasons). One would think if someone got between the Brits and their tea, they would have their own version of the Boston Tea Party going. Americans might say, "Now you know how we felt." :)
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
Re:
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2016, 04:42:27 PM »
Not sure getting mixed messages from friends over there but if the answer is yes I suspect what rooster said will come to pass.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2016, 05:05:16 PM »
I hope it's yes, but probably not with hellish riots.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2016, 05:48:34 PM »
Funny, one of the things I heard a couple of days ago is that the EU commission has just outlawed the most ubiquitous type of electric teapot used in the UK (for environmental reasons). One would think if someone got between the Brits and their tea, they would have their own version of the Boston Tea Party going. Americans might say, "Now you know how we felt." :)

Roughly speaking, due to the 240V thing, a UK kettle could be approximately twice as powerful as a US one.  As a result, think of a tea/coffee machine that can be ready to brew in less than half the time.

The problem I have with it is that I think that for such devices reducing the power it can draw will actually result in MORE energy being used - because as it heats, more heat is lost to the environment, which means you have to replace it.  The longer it takes to boil(for tea), the more energy it will use.  Maybe have them put a timer or a thermostat on it, but making it take longer also means people are more likely to leave it alone while they do something else, which again means maintaining the heat longer as they take longer to get back to it.  Summary:  They're being as stupid as the EPA is about gas cans.

Also, you'll see them going to US style - using the relatively inefficient but higher burners on the stove to get boiling water faster.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2016, 06:00:43 PM »
Why do you hate rich people?

It's fashionable?

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2016, 07:16:58 PM »
Doesn't look good for the Brexit.

Surprisingly (to me) England looked to opt out but Scotland voted so overwhelmingly to stay in and that may have made the difference.
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2016, 07:56:15 PM »
Roughly speaking, due to the 240V thing, a UK kettle could be approximately twice as powerful as a US one.  As a result, think of a tea/coffee machine that can be ready to brew in less than half the time.

The problem I have with it is that I think that for such devices reducing the power it can draw will actually result in MORE energy being used - because as it heats, more heat is lost to the environment, which means you have to replace it.  The longer it takes to boil(for tea), the more energy it will use.  Maybe have them put a timer or a thermostat on it, but making it take longer also means people are more likely to leave it alone while they do something else, which again means maintaining the heat longer as they take longer to get back to it.  Summary:  They're being as stupid as the EPA is about gas cans.

Also, you'll see them going to US style - using the relatively inefficient but higher burners on the stove to get boiling water faster.

but but but, all the extra heat will scorch the water, then you have to dump it out and start over- wasting both water and electricity!!!!111
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

sumpnz

• friend
« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2016, 10:18:25 PM »
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/06/24/eu-referendum-results-live-brexit-most-likely-outcome-says-leadi/

^^^ Live updates.

50.7% in favor of Leave as of this posting.   :O  Hoping I get my fiz-n-chips.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #17 on: June 23, 2016, 10:19:38 PM »
Win or lose, that looks to be a very close vote!

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #18 on: June 23, 2016, 10:22:55 PM »
Wow. Keeping my fingers crossed that I was wrong. Might have to stay up past my bedtime tonight.  :laugh:
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

sumpnz

• friend
« Reply #19 on: June 23, 2016, 10:23:57 PM »
Win or lose, that looks to be a very close vote!

My predictions continue to be much more pessimistic for Remain than the betting markets, though they seem to be in between estimates from Michael Thrasher and JP Morgan.
Predicted probability of Britain Remaining: 0
(81 of 382 areas reporting.)
Predicted vote share for Remain: 47.1 percent.
(90% prediction interval: 46.1 to 48.1 percent)

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #20 on: June 23, 2016, 10:26:36 PM »
Doesn't look good for the Brexit.

Surprisingly (to me) England looked to opt out but Scotland voted so overwhelmingly to stay in and that may have made the difference.

Turnout in Scotland has been very low though, so the Remainers are counting on London to save them. We will see. It's 6.1m leave to 5.8m remain atm.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #21 on: June 23, 2016, 10:27:32 PM »
BBC has a constantly updating ticker on top that is more current than the WSJ. http://www.bbc.com/news

If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #22 on: June 23, 2016, 10:31:17 PM »
Another good counter. Showing Leave with %51.5.

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #23 on: June 23, 2016, 10:45:19 PM »
8.2m leave 7.6m remain.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #24 on: June 23, 2016, 10:55:07 PM »
Another good counter. Showing Leave with %51.5.
Don't worry they will release the absentee ballots in the end, skewing the perception.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536