Author Topic: Dust Bunnies!  (Read 3943 times)

GigaBuist

• friends
    • http://www.justinbuist.org/blog/
Dust Bunnies!
« on: November 01, 2011, 10:49:15 PM »
Thought some of you might get a kick out of this.  The last two days have been spent breaking down point of sale computers at our business, cleaning them out, and putting them up for storage.

This is what a PC looks like after spending 6 months in a greenhouse... and most of that time it was off and not sucking in any air:

Larger version here:  http://www.justinbuist.org/blog/images/register_dust_bunny.jpg

Takes about 4-5 minutes with an air compressor to blow it all out.

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
Re: Dust Bunnies!
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2011, 11:01:04 PM »
That ain't bad.  You should see one that's been in an autobody shop.  Or a barn.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2011, 11:34:05 PM »
That ain't bad.  You should see one that's been in an autobody shop.  Or a barn.

Or a Kindergarten classroom. Looked like it had been tied behind a pickup truck and dragged through the desert for a couple of hours.

The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2011, 04:31:38 AM »
In the Navy we called 'em ghost turds.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Chuck Dye

• friend
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2011, 08:26:30 AM »
Around my home, arachnophobes need not apply.
Gee, I'd love to see your data!

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2011, 08:30:39 AM »
Need to see the insides of some of the computers over here in Kuwait and Iraq.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2011, 01:16:42 PM »
At least it isn't full of snake skins and several skeletons/carcases!
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

Ned Hamford

• friend
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2011, 01:35:52 PM »
Working computer repair I think the most interesting I'd seen is a computer that had been used as a bong.  Gave the entire store a rather distinct odor.

'Why isn't it working any more man?'

:laugh:
Improbus a nullo flectitur obsequio.

GigaBuist

• friends
    • http://www.justinbuist.org/blog/
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2011, 10:35:33 PM »
Damn.  Good to know people have seen 'em worse and still functioning.  Coming from a clean office environment you'd get some dust buildup in them over years, but nothing like that.  Stuff that had to be up and running all the time went into a proper data center with air filtration systems in place so you'd never see crap like that happen.

Guess I'm a little too paranoid about a few ounces of dust. :)

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2011, 10:43:22 PM »
You don't have to worry about the dust too much, as long as they get blown out from time to time.

Being in a greenhouse you want to make sure all extra slot covers are in place. A mouse hiking a leg on a pc card make things stop real quick.

Bugs might be the one you have to watch for the most. I've seen ants and roaches just kill boards in HVAC and other electronics.

jim
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

sanglant

• friend
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2011, 10:45:00 PM »
you can get cases with filters. for them to work right you need positive air pressure in the case though. can get loud, or expensive. if your exhaust fans speed up as the computer gets hotter. [tinfoil]

or if a new case is out of the question, you can add filters. but most of the time, there to hard to get to to clean. :facepalm:

if it's worth the time, look here for ideas. [popcorn]

S. Williamson

• formerly Dionysusigma
  • friends
  • It's not the years, it's the mileage.
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2011, 01:06:49 AM »
Why not completely seal the case and liquid-cool it?
"The chances of finding out what's really going on are so remote, the only thing to do is hang the sense of it and keep yourself occupied. I'd far rather be happy than right any day."
"And are you?"
"No, that's where it all falls apart I'm afraid. Pity, it sounds like quite a nice lifestyle otherwise."
-Douglas Adams

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2011, 01:15:21 AM »
Why not completely seal the case and liquid-cool it?

Because it's a PITA and it's expensive. Hard to do when you got a bunch of computers, such as in a retail environment.
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2011, 01:18:28 AM »
Why have I never done a refrigerated system? Money is not an problem with some groups.

I have a new winter project.

jim
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2011, 07:39:45 AM »
I work maintenance at a knitting mill. We don't get dust bunnies. We get dust badgers and dust rhinoceros's. The machinery has to be cleaned every shift, we use an air compressor and the oily lint is usually a couple inches deep. Even with screens covering them, cooling fans load up pretty quick if they aren't cleared.
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #15 on: November 03, 2011, 07:47:53 AM »
Bugs might be the one you have to watch for the most. I've seen ants and roaches just kill boards in HVAC and other electronics.

jim

Funny you mention that.  About two years ago, our 1 year old AC stopped working. I traced the problem to a solenoid switch on the outdoor unit.  There were several dead silverfish around and in it.  I called the company that installed it and had them come out.  They guy said the cover for the switch was available, but they only put it on if there's a problem like this.  I couldn't help but wonder why they wouldn't put it on as a matter of process since it didn't cause any problems and seemed to fix a big one.

Last summer, the switched failed completely.  I could manually actuate it, but it wouldn't automatically switch.  The guy came out swore that switch almost never failed.  He did his "tests" and agreed with me the switch had failed.  ;/

Chris