Author Topic: Garage Floor 'Paint'  (Read 4038 times)

Chester32141

• friend
Garage Floor 'Paint'
« on: May 31, 2011, 07:43:55 AM »
Hey y'all ... will be closing on a new home shortly. Driveway and garage are both concrete ... the garage floor looks almost polished.  I'd like to use a protective surface on both, doesn't have to be the same one  ... Concrete is only new once ... any suggestions ... Thanks ... 

[popcorn]
"The best argument against democracy is a 5 minute conversation with the average voter...... "

Photos
CBs Hawg Sauce

dogmush

• friend
Re: Garage Floor 'Paint'
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2011, 09:02:57 AM »
Two-part epoxy paint.  The Rustoleum kit at Home Depot/Lowes as the minimum standard for the floor, one with a UV stabalizer for the driveway.  International Marine Coatings makes some REALLY nice floor paint that is affordable, if you can find a distributor in your area.  If possible look for an industrial coating supply hose for a good coating.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2011, 09:09:44 AM »
Friend got an epoxy kit from Home Depot - floor looks good, but is slippery when wet.

I've seen some stained concrete in new construction that looked pretty good . . . but have no personal experience with it myself.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2011, 09:18:48 AM »
sprinkle with sand when wet for anti skid
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2011, 09:46:09 AM »
They also make anti skid additives that you mix in with the paint prior to rolling it on.  Slightly more expensive then sand but it'll last longer and be more even.

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2011, 09:57:55 AM »
I did a photo shoot years back for a chemical company in WI that makes, among other things, a paint for heavily-trafficked concrete floors. You can drive forklifts, trucks and other equipment on it without wearing it down. It comes smooth or with a slight no-slip texture. I remember that it was expensive.

If you're interested, I'll try to find the name.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2011, 10:44:27 AM »
the garage floor looks almost polished.
I have that 'problem' too. It becomes as slippery as an ice rink if it gets even a little wet, wiped out a few times.

I haven't used it in the garage, but I've used epoxy paint in my basement to great success.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2011, 10:51:40 AM »
My experience with it is less than satisfactory.

My house I bought 18 months ago had freshly epoxied garage floor and patio deck.

The deck is peeling now, and the garage is just starting to under the spots where I typically have my truck tires stopped.  Previous owner must have used cheap epoxy, I guess.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
  • From the saner side of Las Vegas
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2011, 10:58:52 AM »
I'm giving serious thought to ripping up a LOT of the old carpeting in this house and painting the slab.  I'd have to add the texture, though.  Can't have the wife falling on her ass on a regular basis.  Though it might be amusing to watch 3 or 4 large dogs doing the old "slip 'n' slide"...  :lol:

DD
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
for a lead role in a cage?
-P.F.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2011, 11:24:50 AM »
The deck is peeling now, and the garage is just starting to under the spots where I typically have my truck tires stopped.  Previous owner must have used cheap epoxy, I guess.

I'd go with bad surface prep.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2011, 11:55:42 AM »

Yeah. Pressure washer, let it dry. Repeat again with the citric acid scrub.

Wife unit wanted me to paint the floor of the unfinished portion of the basement because it was "grody" and she didn't like walking around down there.

Then she balked at the price of the two-part epoxy kits, so we got some sort of "just as good" one-part "epoxy fortified" latex concrete floor paint. I knew it would fail, and did so within the year around the corners of the slab where it gets damp. Shrug....
I promise not to duck.

Warhorse

« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2011, 12:10:37 PM »
The key to painting concrete is surface preparation BEFORE painting.

Bare concrete should have an acid wash to make sure the surface is clean and has proper "tooth" on the surface to hold the paint. Then wash it with plenty of water and let it dry completely. A 2-part epoxy paint will be the most durable but you can probably get away with a good 1-part deck or concrete paint. Colors tend to be a bit limited, however.

Epoxy of virtually any kind will leave a "blush" on the surface that must be washed off after the epoxy is well cured or nothing else will stick to it, even if you sand it.

BTW, don't ask me how I know all this.  :facepalm:
Warhorse

Duty, Honor, Country is NOT out of style!

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2011, 02:49:28 PM »
My experience with it is less than satisfactory.

My house I bought 18 months ago had freshly epoxied garage floor and patio deck.

often its a case of poor prep work  thats the case with most paint fail
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2011, 06:45:31 PM »

More likely didn't properly prepare the surface before applying the coating.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2011, 12:42:42 AM »
One of the guys here at the Compound just told me that some of the epoxy paints are VERY prone to burning...
Blog under construction

NickySantoro

« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2011, 05:08:20 PM »

Likely failed to acid etch a hard troweled surface before applying the product. That's why you read the label BEFORE you open the can.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #16 on: June 19, 2011, 01:52:48 PM »
I did a photo shoot years back for a chemical company in WI that makes, among other things, a paint for heavily-trafficked concrete floors. You can drive forklifts, trucks and other equipment on it without wearing it down. It comes smooth or with a slight no-slip texture. I remember that it was expensive.

If you're interested, I'll try to find the name.

I'd be interested, ML, if you can find the information.  It's a constant battle repainting the traffic lines in our DC.  Something more durable would be good.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.