Author Topic: TV questions, current options?  (Read 1999 times)

RoadKingLarry

• friends
TV questions, current options?
« on: July 21, 2019, 07:33:20 PM »
After many years of faithful service my 32" CRT TV appears to be nearing the end of it's useful life.
Considering something in the 50" range and would prefer a unit with wifi and basic streaming apps included, Netflix, Amazon...
We use a OTA antenna and stream off our wifi.
$300-400 budget.
I'll be doing my own research of course but what's the 411 on these things?
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
Re: TV questions, current options?
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2019, 07:51:00 PM »
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2019, 08:04:33 PM »
I also default to Samsung. I just bought a 55" QLED at Costco a few months ago.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2019, 08:07:27 PM »
Honestly, unless you want to get bleeding edge stuff (OLED and 240hz refresh and all that) the Vizio brand at WalMart is pretty solid.

The Samsung in my mancave crapped out last year and I went to get a replacement TV.  for less then $400 I got a 55" 4k 120Hz Vizio that looks really nice.  It's not as jaw dropping as the 3 grand OLED displays, but it's better than anything on the market was even 7 years ago.  For like $380.

I will caution that some of them save money buy not installing a TV tuner, so if you want to use that OTA antenna, make sure you get one with the built in tuner, or budget an external tuner.

ETA: Just looked, the 55" I got is now $319, and appears to have an antenna input on the back.  I don't use an antenna, so I didn't remember for sure. 
https://www.walmart.com/ip/VIZIO-55-Class-4K-Ultra-HD-2160P-HDR-Smart-LED-TV-D55x-G1/786202247

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2019, 08:22:38 PM »
Both of mine are Vizio. 
Instead of a smart model, get a plain one with multiple HDMI inputs and add a Roku Stick. (or one of the fancier Roku)  The Amazon streaming stick is solid too, but it doesn't support as many streaming apps as the Roku (for example, Spectrum TV), also the free Roku channel is pretty good.
"It's good, though..."

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2019, 08:28:51 PM »
Yeah, Vizio is probably the best of the cheap brands.  Overall, they get good reviews.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Calumus

• friend
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2019, 09:23:52 PM »
Vizios are solid. As long as you sick to them, Sony, Samsung, or LG you'll be fine. A lot of big names were sold off to budget manufacturers in the last decade or so. Zenith, Westinghouse, Toshiba are all pretty much on the no fly list now. You can get a much better quality TV from any of the first four manufacturers I listed for about the same money. Also, keep in mind that pretty much any TV you get now days isn't going to look it's best out of the box. Once you pick one, Google the exact model number and calibration settings. Set the TV to what you find, and use that as a starting point, then adjust to your eyes and room.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2019, 08:28:08 AM by Calumus »

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2019, 08:10:30 AM »
I, too, am generally a Samsung kind of guy. I originally had a Toshiba or Motorola that I lost to a lightning strike back in 2008. I went to Circuit City because they had a good sale going on and I picked up a 40" Samsung that I have been VERY happy with.

Thinking of possibly upgrading to a 55-60", but I've not really put much effort into it because I still like the Samsung.

Castlekey just bought one of those really high end Samsungs and the picture simply can't be believed. But I couldn't believe the price, either. Far more than what I'm prepared to spend at the moment.

Don't forget about Woot.com. They occasionally have really good deals on refurb/open box TVs from major manufactures like Sorny, Magnetbox, and Panaphonic... (bonus points to anyone who gets that reference!)
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2019, 09:53:59 AM »
^^^D'oh!

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2019, 09:57:12 AM »
Hard to go wrong with Samsung, LG, Vizio, or Sharp. Biggest issue will be getting something with input quantity/type necessary to support your peripherals.

A quick glance at Worst Purchase shows thirteen choices in the $350-400 range, all 50" or better. If you have one close by, visit their Clearance rack. With a little patience you can score a serious deal on an open-box unit. I got mine that way. Wouldn't fit a customer's entertainment center so they brought it back for a different size. I got a brand new TV for a third off the price.

Also, stores are also beginning to clear out current models to prepare for fall. Model changes from one year to the next are mostly cosmetic so there are decent deals to be had.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Silver Bullet

• friend
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2019, 10:06:18 AM »
I'm good with my 55" 4K LG.  Also Blu-Ray and Soundbar in LG.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2019, 10:25:03 AM »
Thanks.
Had not considered the possible lack of a TV tuner :facepalm: . Uh it's a TV not a monitor.
I'm another Samsung fan and their offerings are high on the list.
I've got to reconfigure the furniture first. A dozen or so years ago my wife decided we needed a massive 3 piece 7' tall entertainment cabinet set. It's actually a decent piece of well made cabinetry but it is designed for old style TVs and our current 32" tube fills the hole completely.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2019, 10:30:39 AM »
' It's actually a decent piece of well made cabinetry but it is designed for old style TVs and our current 32" tube fills the hole completely."

Brother and SIL ran into the same issue with their entertainment center. Worked great with a big screen CRT.

Didn't work at all with a flat screen.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2019, 10:42:19 AM »

Had not considered the possible lack of a TV tuner :facepalm: . Uh it's a TV not a monitor.

I've only seen a few that didn't have tuners and they were clearly labeled "monitor" even though they were in the TV section. That doesn't mean they all will be, though.

Brad
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

HankB

• friend
« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2019, 11:01:46 AM »
I'm using a 32" Samsung HDTV (1080) as a computer monitor right now. It's been working well for several years, and I'm happy with it. No problems.

There's a Toshiba 40" HDTV (1080) in my MBR. It's been working well for several more years than the Samsung, and I'm still happy with it. No problems.

I've had a 65" Sony 4K TV in my great room for about 2 years now. It continues to work well. No problems.

Right now, if you stick to the midpoint of the main brand (Sony, LG, Samsung) product lines, it's hard to go wrong. BUT . . . if you're using some old "legacy" components, be aware of connectivity; in particular, when I was shopping for my latest, I saw the Samsung TVs only had HDMI connections for additional components.

Larger screen TVs can be a little "tippy" . . . depending on your layout, you might want to consider a wall mount. I used one for my 65" unit and in hindsight, that was a really good decision.

Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2019, 11:53:23 AM »

Larger screen TVs can be a little "tippy" . . . depending on your layout, you might want to consider a wall mount. I used one for my 65" unit and in hindsight, that was a really good decision.

Yes. It's a bit irksome to me how flimsy stands seem to have gotten. It's probably the one negative thing I can say about Samsung TVs, which seem to go to these little feet more-so than other brands. My old one had a rock solid large stand. These new ones are the analog of a 7' 300lb guy with size 5 shoes.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #16 on: July 24, 2019, 04:32:50 PM »
Revisiting because I just came across this ad.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/sharp-58-class-led-2160p-smart-4k-uhd-tv-with-hdr-roku-tv/6296543.p?skuId=6296543

Sharp Aquos 58"
Reg $550
Sale price $380

I have a Sharp Aquos of the same general series. A couple of years old and only 1080p but it's been a very good TV. I've no complaints at all.

Whatever you do, remember to turn off Motion Smoothing (or whatever your TV of choice calls it). Leaving it on will give everything the "Soap Opera Look".

Brad
-HankB

Calumus

• friend
« Reply #17 on: July 24, 2019, 07:02:20 PM »
I would also suggest looking at this one, it's on for $350.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/LG-55-Class-4K-2160P-Ultra-HD-Smart-LED-HDR-TV-55UK6090PUA/652779723?u1=7a0dc648ae6611e9a115aef906d31fd80INT&oid=223073.1&wmlspartner=lw9MynSeamY&sourceid=26395009633921616103&affillinktype=10&veh=aff

Sharp and Toshiba are both owned by Hisense now, and while a good model slips out once in a while, they're generally known to be difficult to get accurate color out of.

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #18 on: July 24, 2019, 07:14:29 PM »
Vizio's are very nice for the money. For me it's them, Samsung, or LG.

I'll also echo what someone said above about using a separate Roku or whatever your flavor preference is. Having gone the smart TV route, the interfaces are often far inferior to the dedicated streaming platforms.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #19 on: July 25, 2019, 01:50:55 AM »
Yes. It's a bit irksome to me how flimsy stands seem to have gotten. It's probably the one negative thing I can say about Samsung TVs, which seem to go to these little feet more-so than other brands. My old one had a rock solid large stand. These new ones are the analog of a 7' 300lb guy with size 5 shoes.

I think that's because they don't really expect you to use the TV stand, as opposed to using the VESA mounting on the back to wall mount it.  Not a lot of furniture sized for the bigger screens seen today.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #20 on: July 25, 2019, 08:09:42 AM »
"Not a lot of furniture sized for the bigger screens seen today."

Yep. I recently bought a new TV stand to replace my old corner stand that was woefully undersized for my HDTV. I originally got it for my old 32" CRT TV.

But, in the next year or two I really want to get a much larger TV -- something in the 60 to 72" range -- which means I'll very likely have to wall mount it. I'll keep the stand for storage and also for the sound bar and gaming systems I have.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #21 on: July 25, 2019, 08:59:38 AM »
The stands can be flimsy since the TV's have gotten so light weight.  That is why they mostly come with the cables you can attach to keep them from tipping over.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #22 on: July 25, 2019, 09:01:13 AM »
Also, RoadKingLarry, do be careful.  I remember how heavy my 32" TV was from some years back.  Don't hurt yourself. 

Also, I recall stores like Best Buy will recycle the old TV if you need to get rid of it.  They did not require a purchase when I got rid of mine.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #23 on: July 25, 2019, 09:23:53 AM »
Also, RoadKingLarry, do be careful.  I remember how heavy my 32" TV was from some years back.  Don't hurt yourself. 

Also, I recall stores like Best Buy will recycle the old TV if you need to get rid of it.  They did not require a purchase when I got rid of mine.

There's a ginormous difference between older and newer flatscreens as well. My old 50" was a bear to move by myself, but I can about juggle the new 55" one.

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #24 on: July 25, 2019, 09:28:06 AM »
There's a ginormous difference between older and newer flatscreens as well. My old 50" was a bear to move by myself, but I can about juggle the new 55" one.

This. Plasma and CFL-based flat screens weren't nearly as svelte as modern LED and OLED offerings. I recently helped swap out a couple of plasma sets in the building lobby. Heavy suckers.

Brad
-HankB