Author Topic: Thin Work Gloves?  (Read 967 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Thin Work Gloves?
« on: July 29, 2019, 10:01:20 AM »
What do you guys like in thin work gloves? I have normally worn mechanix gloves, but am wondering if there are better choices in thin as possible, while still puncture resistant, gloves. I'm finally getting around to building that reloading room. Yesterday I made my lumber run, and as per usual, came home with embedded splinters in my hands.

I want to start wearing gloves when working with wood and want something that allows me the dexterity to handle wood screws while also being somewhat puncture resistant.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
Re: Thin Work Gloves?
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2019, 10:27:44 AM »
I use work gloves for everything, even mowing the yard. I've had equal experience with Carhartt, Craftsman, and DeWalt brand work gloves. Of the three, the DeWalt's consistently seem to work better for me, mostly because they fit my hammy paws better than the other two brands. Dexterity is equal among the three but the better-fitting DeWalts give me more fine control. The downside of the thinner work gloves (vs. old-school leather work gloves) is that they wear quickly during heavy work. I've seen some models with things like Kevlar reinforced palms. Not real big on paying $30 a pop for fancy newness when Wells LaMont fencing gloves can be had for $15 or $20 and I know they'll stand up under hard wear.

Ultimately I suppose it's a matter of hitting Lowes and Home Depot to start trying on for size, style, and fit.

Brad

« Last Edit: July 29, 2019, 11:19:46 AM by Brad Johnson »
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2019, 11:06:05 AM »
I keep a pair of Trooper thin leather gloves in my truck for trips to the lumber yard.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

brimic

• friends
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2019, 11:29:34 AM »
I wear heavier mechanix gloves for yard/general work, thinner ones for lighter work, and 6-7mil black nitrile gloves for working in the garage/machine work/cleaning- they are moderately resistant to cuts/punctures, I don't worry about cuts/slivers when handling chips from the mill or lathe.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2019, 01:23:09 PM »
Our safety department was pushing some fiber base gloves that were light and resistant to cuts/abrasions.  The problem was stuff could puncture them very easily compared to leather. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2019, 02:26:27 PM »
Our safety department was pushing some fiber base gloves that were light and resistant to cuts/abrasions.  The problem was stuff could puncture them very easily compared to leather.  

Yeah, that's my quandary. Seems like there's lots of options for cut resistance, but not so much for both light and puncture resistant, and wood splinters are more of a puncture than a cut. Whenever I have to deal with the no good stinkin' Russian olive trees around here and their nasty thorns, sometimes I even get poked through heavier leather gloves.

Mechanix gloves have been pretty good for me for working with lumber, but I was just wondering if there was an even lighter (as in better dexterity) option to try.

Of course the gloves only help if you wear them, and I have to be better about taking them to the lumber place with me, since I seem to get more splinters picking out lumber than I do working with it at home.  :laugh:
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2019, 02:43:45 PM »
There’s a company called ansell. The Hyflex 518 is what we wear for mechanic work. Much thinner than mechanix gloves but thicker than nitril. Somewhat breathable. Cut level 2 resistance
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2019, 02:47:06 PM »
Mechanix are my go to, and I have a few pairs of the cheap knock off version from Harbor freight and Home Depot floating around.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

brimic

• friends
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2019, 02:52:42 PM »
There’s a company called ansell. The Hyflex 518 is what we wear for mechanic work. Much thinner than mechanix gloves but thicker than nitril. Somewhat breathable. Cut level 2 resistance
Ah. I wore something very similar (almost identical)  to those when handling glass in the window factory. We called them ‘diving gloves.’
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2019, 02:55:32 PM »
I just use a pair of my clapped out Mustang lambskin welding gloves from work. If I wear gloves, don't like to.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

MikeB

• friend
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2019, 03:55:32 PM »
I use mechanix impact mostly with leather palm and fingers. If I really want thin and dexterous use those latex ones for car repair stuff. Alternatively I’ll use a few pair of deerskin insulated and non insulated that I have from various brands for general outdoor duties or riding. For leather deerskin is one of the best for dexterity, though not as protective as other leathers.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2019, 07:36:12 PM »
I haven't found anything splinter-proof (or even splinter-resistant) that's thin. For handling framing lumber and landscape timbers, I just go back to basics.

https://www.harborfreight.com/leather-industrial-work-gloves-5-pairs-66287.html
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2019, 12:01:48 PM »
I haven't found anything splinter-proof (or even splinter-resistant) that's thin. For handling framing lumber and landscape timbers, I just go back to basics.

https://www.harborfreight.com/leather-industrial-work-gloves-5-pairs-66287.html

I use those a lot, as well.  While not perfect, they are pretty puncture resistant.  I am using an old pair right now in the back yard taking down some nasty trees with thorns, and some wild blackberry brambles.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.