Author Topic: On Tracking Cell Phones  (Read 468 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
On Tracking Cell Phones
« on: July 30, 2019, 08:35:30 AM »
Some interesting research on tracking you via your cell phone without relying on standard geolocation.

I haven't looked to see if someone has already created one, but an app that's a one touch kill switch for all onboard sensors might sell well. :)

https://gizmodo.com/how-to-track-a-cellphone-without-gps-or-consent-1821125371/amp
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Hawkmoon

• friend
Re: On Tracking Cell Phones
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2019, 01:11:48 PM »
Maybe the cheap, throw-away phone I bought for my daughter to use as a decoy wasn't such a bad idea. It doesn't have a barometer or a magnetometer ... which made it useless for testing a aircraft navigation app that needed those sensors, but which would appear to pretty much stymie a tracking app such as described.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

RoadKingLarry

• friends
Re: On Tracking Cell Phones
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2019, 01:31:59 PM »
A fantastically simple way to prevent having your cell phone tracked while you are out and about doing things an oppressive government might not approve of is to leave the damned thing at home.

Of course most vehicles are now GPS equipped and I imagine they can be tracked in real time as well. What does it take to disable the GPS in a vehicle without disabling  the vehicle?
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams