Author Topic: New truck. Also, currently some really good pricing.  (Read 820 times)

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
New truck. Also, currently some really good pricing.
« on: August 08, 2019, 12:33:35 PM »
Pulled the trigger on a new truck, a Ford F150.

I've been looking for a while, thinking that an unsold 18 or even a lightly used '19 was right for my intended budget. With the current dealers desires to clear out inventory in anticipation of incoming new models, I ended up finding a deal on a new '19 that was just as good. Actually a little better when you throw in a few extra model clearance incentives recently added. If you've been considering a trade, might be time to take a closer look.

The unsold '18 idea ended up being a non-starter due to dealer back-office financial restrictions and lack of factory-to-dealer incentives on them. I found out that once the dealer gets the "we're done, it's yours" final Ford rebate, no other rebates or financing incentives apply to unsold previous year models. The dealer has X dollars in it and that's that.

I also figured out that shady dealers will write up the interest on your loan for the backend financing rate-share. I thought something might be up when the settled-by-phone deal on this truck was much, much better than anticipated. The surprise was on the "Interest Rate" line when I went in to sign (8.99% rather than the advertised 4.9%). They were making up the price difference on interest rebates. Too bad for them I'm already pre-approved through my credit union for 3.49% and will be flipping the loan to them before the end of the month. The dealer finance lady tried to claim it was because my credit score wasn't good enough but made the mistake of having the tri-merge report laying on her desk. The big "814" visible at the top kinda shot holes in her story. I will most definitely be making a report of the dealer's credit shenanigans to several interested entities once the paperwork is settled and I have the truck title in hand.

It's interesting the option packages dealers will stock. My desired outfitting was really specific: SuperCrew, short wheelbase, 4WD, V8, Trailer Tow package, nav, and 3.73 gear with e-locker. I had a couple of "would be nice" options which would have sweetened things, but weren't deal breakers (36 gallon tank, tailgate step, integrated trailer brake). The first six criteria are super-common. At least half the XLT-series trucks I saw had them. Less common is the 3.73 gearset. I presume it's because everyone is trying to max out economy numbers, but here in we-still-pull-trailers farm and ranch country you'd think a lower gear (higher numerically) wouldn't be quite so rare. From what I was seeing, maybe one truck in 20 would have it. Most were geared 3.55 with about a third being taller still at 3.31. A 3.15 gear is available but it is even more rare than the 3.73.

The truck is niiiiiiice. Super quiet. Ride quality and handling are superb. A/C can best be described as "massive overkill". Interior comfort is incredibly good, especially for a truck. Fuel economy is surprising, too. My old truck was a 2wd with 300-ish HP. At highway cruise it would regularly get 15.8-16.2 MPG, depending on wind. This truck, a 4wd with 395 HP on tap and pushing a 20 MPH straight-on headwind, got 19.5 mpg on the 150 mile drive home (level ground with the cruise set to 77 mph). With a third more power and better gearing than my old truck I have to keep a wary eye on the speedometer. Sucker is quick off the line. The 10 speed trans is taking some getting used to. Steep diff gearing and short trans gear ratios mean it shifts a lot, especially on take off. It also takes advantage of engine braking a lot more, resulting in a lot of noticeable downshifting when slowing to stop.

The only thing I dislike about the truck is the maddening auto start/stop feature that kills the engine when you come to a stop. Fortunately Ford is nice enough to put a "Disable" button on the dash, or I can put the truck in any drive mode other than "Normal". I can also kill it in the computer with a freeware app call ForScan but will withold doing that for a bit. Maybe getting in the habit of tapping the disable button when I start the truck is a workable compromise.

I have tray-style floor mats coming. In an interesting twist, the Ford official accessory pieces are better quality and less expensive than the WeatherTech units. They also look better, what with the big "F150" embossing on them. I'm also ordering the integrated trailer brake control dash unit. I'll pop the physical control in myself, but have the dealer do the electronic enabling so it becomes an "official" part of the truck's outfitting.

Brad
« Last Edit: August 08, 2019, 02:32:51 PM by Brad Johnson »
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

brimic

• friends
Re: New truck. Also, currently some really good pricing.
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2019, 12:38:44 PM »
The only thing I dislike about the truck is the maddening auto start/stop feature that kills the engine when you come to a stop. Fortunately Ford is nice enough to put a "Disable" button on the dash, or I can put the truck in any drive mode other than "Normal". I can also kill it in the computer with a freeware app call ForScan but will withold doing that for a bit. Maybe getting in the habit of tapping the disable button when I start the truck is a workable compromise.

I always wondered how long a starter lasts with such a system. It makes sense if people are leasing/renting or trading in and buying new every few years, but I have to wonder about peoplelike me who expect to keep a vehicle for 200-300 thousand miles...
Starter motors have a life span measured in minutes.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2019, 01:56:27 PM »
This is why I’ve become a Ford fanboi
My ‘16 F150 is amazing
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2019, 05:58:11 PM »
I always wondered how long a starter lasts with such a system. It makes sense if people are leasing/renting or trading in and buying new every few years, but I have to wonder about peoplelike me who expect to keep a vehicle for 200-300 thousand miles...
Starter motors have a life span measured in minutes.

Not any more.

This concern gets brought up a lot, but the new starters on new vehicles with auto start/stop are engineered and tested into the multiple hundreds of thousands of starts. (I've seen different numbers for different brands.) They'll last a good long time.

That doesn't stop the system from being pretty annoying and of little real world effect. I see a reliable 0.1-0.2 mpg increase in my car over multiple month tests of auto start stop.

My understanding is that the system takes advantage of a particular quirk in how the EPA measures city mileage, and games the test for CAFE standards. That's why they have become so common.

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2019, 10:51:54 PM »
Somehow the marketing team at Kenworth managed to name their system "Kenworth Idle Management System Automated Stop Start".  K.I.M.S A.S.S.
Formerly sumpnz

brimic

• friends
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2019, 09:16:48 AM »
Not any more.

This concern gets brought up a lot, but the new starters on new vehicles with auto start/stop are engineered and tested into the multiple hundreds of thousands of starts. (I've seen different numbers for different brands.) They'll last a good long time.

That doesn't stop the system from being pretty annoying and of little real world effect. I see a reliable 0.1-0.2 mpg increase in my car over multiple month tests of auto start stop.

My understanding is that the system takes advantage of a particular quirk in how the EPA measures city mileage, and games the test for CAFE standards. That's why they have become so common.

Good to know, Thanks. One of these days I'll enter the 21st century.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2019, 01:22:17 PM »
Somehow the marketing team at Kenworth managed to name their system "Kenworth Idle Management System Automated Stop Start".  K.I.M.S A.S.S.
If you knew Kim you'd know why.

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2019, 02:29:36 PM »
Constantly discovering new features. Today's surprise came when I answered the phone (sync'd to the infotainment system). It not only lowered the radio volume, it lowered the A/C fan speed, too. With no radio playing and the A/C fan on low, the cab is astonishingly quiet even at highway speeds. Multiple people have confirmed the outgoing call audio quality is excellent.

I've been playing around with drive modes. The old truck had a choice of Normal or Tow/Haul. Take your pick. This one? Normal, Eco, Tow/Haul, Sport, and Snow/Wet. The differences between modes in the old truck were there but not dramatic. The differences in the new truck are very noticeable. My observations...

Tow/Haul: Softens off-idle throttle response but has a more aggressive overall throttle curve. Holds gears longer, minimizing the usual short-shifting that keeps engine RPM low. Extremely aggressive engine braking, especially at low speeds.  

Sport: Aggressively sharp throttle response at all speeds. Holds gear to a higher RPM. Firms shifts. Engine braking is moderately aggressive at all speeds but not quite so much as Tow/Haul. Spirited and fun though generally a very harsh experience.

Snow/Wet: Softens everything up. Throttle response is almost nonexistent for the first quarter or third of the pedal travel, and not much more after that. Starts in a higher gear and dramatically softens gear changes.

Eco: Generally pulls the guts out of everything. Noticeably softer throttle response. Changes gears at an insanely low RPM. Keeps engine RPM as absolutely low as possible. Aside from the odd aspect of needing an inordinate amount of throttle for anything other than flat cruise, this is actually a very enjoyable driving mode when you want to just chill and enjoy the drive.

Brad
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2019, 10:04:56 AM »
Fuel economy update.

SWMBO and I took a trip to the mountains last week. 971 miles total. Fuel economy remains surprising. At Texas highway speeds (75 mph posted limit, cruise set to 77, relatively flat ground) fuel economy was consistently 20.2-20.5 mpg. At New Mexico speeds (55 and 65 mph limits, no cruise due to mountainous terrain) fuel economy varied between 22.0 (mountain roads, speeds averaging 30-40 mph) to 23.5 (foothills and relatively constant at-posted-limit speeds). One 45 mile stretch of flat prairie with a 55 mph speed limit (cruise set to 57) garnered an indicated 24.7 mpg for the entire distance.

To reiterate, and for reference, my old truck was a 2WD with the 5.4L V8 (300 hp) and 3.55 gears. The new truck is 4wd, 5.0L V8 (395 hp) with 3.73 gears. At Texas highway speeds I considered it an exceptional day if I topped 16 mpg in the old truck. Based purely on mpg to date, the annual fuel savings on my work commute alone will offset one loan payment. I can live with that.  =D

The single downside is that it doesn't fit in my garage, at least not if I pull in the "regular way". I can back it in and get the garage door shut with about three inches to spare, both fore and aft. Fortunately, after Oct 19th it wont matter as garage space at the new place is enough to fit SWMBO's 1 ton supercrew long bed with room to spare. My truck is a full two feet shorter.

Brad
« Last Edit: August 21, 2019, 11:32:13 AM by Brad Johnson »
-HankB

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2019, 11:36:32 AM »
Not any more.

Now they need to work on the battery life.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2019, 12:24:33 PM »
I was tempted to get a new 2018 Dodge Ram 1500 the dealer still had on the lot; marked down to $25000.  It had the standard cab and long box that I want, which is a rare configuration here.  Main reason I didn't was it had a V6 and very tall gears (3.21 axle ratio) and I figured it wouldn't tow anything.  If it had a 3.73 I probably would have bought it.  Yeah, I know I could change the ring and pinion gears.
"It's good, though..."

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2019, 12:30:29 PM »
 Yeah, I know I could change the ring and pinion gears.

Did you know you can change the ring and pinion gears?

*edit to add*

If you're bumping your budget a bit, is Seward, NE, too far out of the way? Single cab, 4WD, XL trim, 5.0L V8, Trailer Tow Package, Integrated Trailer Brake Controller, FX4 package, 3.55 e-locker, 36 gallon fuel tank. MSRP is $41,400. Advertised at $29,999.

http://www.meyernobull.com/2018-Ford-F-150-XL/Seward-NE/New-cars/forsale.html?sid=&ty=Any&bstyle=Any&specials=&cu=&ws=&mnprc=0&mxprc=1000000&slid=41&vid=143207&pg=1&ord=0&sort=PriceN

http://www.windowsticker.forddirect.com/windowsticker.pdf?vin=1FTMF1E5XJKE58662

Brad
« Last Edit: August 21, 2019, 01:00:13 PM by Brad Johnson »
-HankB

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2019, 08:16:21 AM »

*edit to add*

If you're bumping your budget a bit, is Seward, NE, too far out of the way? Single cab, 4WD, XL trim, 5.0L V8, Trailer Tow Package, Integrated Trailer Brake Controller, FX4 package, 3.55 e-locker, 36 gallon fuel tank. MSRP is $41,400. Advertised at $29,999.

http://www.meyernobull.com/2018-Ford-F-150-XL/Seward-NE/New-cars/forsale.html?sid=&ty=Any&bstyle=Any&specials=&cu=&ws=&mnprc=0&mxprc=1000000&slid=41&vid=143207&pg=1&ord=0&sort=PriceN

Brad

Jesus.  I paid 36 for my XLT crew cab.  And it's got all of those things, but XLT trim. 
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2019, 09:45:37 AM »

Jesus.  I paid 36 for my XLT crew cab.  And it's got all of those things, but XLT trim. 

MSRP for a base-optioned 2WD XLT trim SuperCrew is $41k now. 4WD is $3500. Engines are just as spendy; V8 is $2000, 3.5L Ecoboost is $2600, and the new Baby Powerstroke is a princely $5k. At least gear ratio/e-locker combos and choices are reasonably cheap, ranging from under a hundred to a couple hundred bucks. Throw in a few other actually-useful goodies (trailer tow package, integrated trailer brake controller, 36 gal fuel tank) for the new-normal $50k+ MSRPs.

Brad
-HankB

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2019, 09:54:36 AM »

Yeah, I paid $34K for my XLT extended cab. Next time I'm just getting an XL. They have that one upgrade package that basically moves you to XLT amenities, but for a couple grand cheaper. You miss a few of the 'luxury" items, but they are more for daily driver stuff. I use my bed and muddy up the floorboards, so don't mind things like deleted carpeting.

On the auto stop/start: I've pretty much learned to ignore it. Now that I have a few years on the battery, it seems to not engage as much. I often check and see the message that stop/start is paused "due to vehicle charging". That's in the Summer. I expect it to engage even less in the Winter, given I only drive the truck a few days a week and the average round trip distance is a tad under 100 miles. I've noticed that when it's in "vehicle charging" mode, I often have to drive double that distance before it decides the battery has enough juice for stop/start.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2019, 11:28:39 AM »

*edit to add*

Brad

Thanks.  That's a good price but way outside my range.  That $25000 Ram was going to be a big stretch; that's the main reason I hemmed and hawed until it was gone (my budget is about $6000 to $10000), but it was tempting.  I don't really want a *new* truck as long as I'm living in Rustville.  I'll buy a new one after I move back to Texas (or Oklahoma, or western Arkansas, etc), I just need something to get me there.
"It's good, though..."