Author Topic: Eminent Extortion  (Read 1131 times)

Dannyboy

• friend
Eminent Extortion
« on: December 19, 2006, 05:43:49 PM »
Man, this is nauseating.  I don't really know what else to say.

Arlington, VaA federal court has now approved an extortion scheme using eminent domain under last years Kelo decision.  Unless the U.S. Supreme Court overturns the rulings, developers may threaten property owners, Your money or your land.

Think this is an overstatement?

Consider what is happening right now in Port Chester, N.Y., to entrepreneur Bart Didden and his business partner, whose case will be considered for review by the U.S. Supreme Court on January 5, 2007.

With the blessing of officials from the Village of Port Chester, the Villages chosen developer approached Didden and his partner with an offer they couldnt refuse.  Because Didden planned to build a CVS on his propertyland the developer coveted for a Walgreensthe developer demanded $800,000 from Didden to make him go away or ordered Didden to give him an unearned 50 percent stake in the CVS development.  If Didden refused, the developer would have the Village of Port Chester condemn the land for his private use.  Didden rejected the bold-faced extortion.  The very next day the Village of Port Chester condemned Diddens property through eminent domain so it could hand it over to the developer who made the threat.

The 2nd U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals upheld this extortion under last years Kelo eminent domain decision.  The court ruled that because this is taking place in a redevelopment zone they couldnt stop what the Village is doing.

Essentially, the courts have ruled Kelo turns any redevelopment zone into a Constitution-free zone for property owners confronted by politically connected developers, said Dana Berliner, a senior attorney with the Institute for Justice, which represents Didden and argued on behalf of the Kelo property owners.  We want the Supreme Court to rule that the Constitution does not permit governments or citizens acting on their behalf to demand money in exchange for allowing property owners to keep what is rightfully theirs.  The very fact that we have to ask the highest court in the land for such a ruling underscores how precarious and threatening things are getting for ordinary American landowners.

My case is about extortion through the abuse of eminent domain; it is about payoffs and government run amok, said Didden.  It took me years of hard work to buy that property, pay off my mortgages and really feel like I own it.  How dare the Village of Port Chester and this developer threaten me in this way.  I want to see integrity restored to the governmental process of exercising eminent domain.  There is no integrity here.  Unless the Supreme Court takes up my case, I fear for anyone else who owns a piece of property not just in Port Chester, but anywhere a politically connected developer is eyeing it.

For now, the property remains vacant.

Didden expressed universal disappointment with the government officials who are charged with the duty of protecting his rights.  What really surprised me about this whole ordeal was the total lack of concern my situation earned from the Village politicians, to the County District Attorneys office, all the way into the federal courts.  A private citizen using the governments power is extorting me.  And the government that was supposed to protect my rights is nowhere to be found.  If anything, it is making this extortion possible.  It is an outrage.

http://www.ij.org/private_property/didden/12_18_06pr.html
Oh, Lord, please let me be as sanctimonious and self-righteous as those around me, so that I may fit in.

Target Farget

Re: Eminent Extortion
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2006, 09:39:20 PM »
if this happened to me you better believe it would be KILLDOZER time.

i cannto believe this stuff happens and the people behind it are not killed. all it would cost is a mauser 98, a scope, and ammo sighting it in. youd never be traced.

griz

• friend
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2006, 01:58:52 AM »
Didden planned to build a CVS on his propertyland the developer coveted for a Walgreens

Call me suspicious, but it sounds as if there is more to the story.  While the Kelo decision would allow "taking" the property to build a drug store instead of a house, I can't see how it would favor one drug store over another.  Any links?
Sent from a stone age computer via an ordinary keyboard.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2006, 03:40:28 AM »
I can't see how it would favor one drug store over another. . .

Assuming the first story is on the up-and-up, the answer lies in these four little words:

. . .  it is about payoffs . . .
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Leatherneck

• friend
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2006, 03:58:41 AM »
Thank goodness the Virginia legislature passed an anti-Kelo statute. I suppose NY has not?

Kelo is a blight on freedom and individual rights in the United States.

TC
TC
RT Refugee

The Rabbi

• friend
  • "Ahh, Jeez. Not this sh*t again!"
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2006, 04:52:24 AM »
Thank goodness the Virginia legislature passed an anti-Kelo statute. I suppose NY has not?

Kelo is a blight on freedom and individual rights in the United States.

TC

Absolutely.  And for those who say nothing will change, what about all those states that passed no-takings laws in the wake of Kelo?
Fight state-sponsored Islamic terrorism: Bomb France now!

Vote Libertarian: It Not Like It Matters Anyway.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2006, 05:11:37 AM »
if this happened to me you better believe it would be KILLDOZER time.

i cannto believe this stuff happens and the people behind it are not killed. all it would cost is a mauser 98, a scope, and ammo sighting it in. youd never be traced.

Are you retarded?  You'd be the first person the cops would look for....."Did anyone have a reason to kill the developer?"
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife