Author Topic: Goldman Sachs to hand out £7bn salary and bonus package, after £6bn bailout  (Read 2436 times)

RadioFreeSeaLab

• friend
this is not a drive by posting.  I am infuriated by this action.  Do these people deserve an average 6 million dollar Christmas bonus?

Goldman Sachs ready to hand out £7bn salary and bonus package... after its £6bn bail-out

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/worldnews/article-1081624/Goldman-Sachs-ready-hand-7BILLION-salary-bonus-package--6bn-bail-out.html

Sergeant Bob

• friend
Incredible isn't it?

Don't worry, when Obama becomes president, he'll put a stop to corporate corruption. =|
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

Zardozimo Oprah Bannedalas

• Webley Juggler
  • friend
  • All I got is a fistful of shekels
With spectacular failure comes spectacular rewards.

FTA84

• friend
...and this is why the constitution (in original form) explicitly forbade income tax

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net

I'd really like to hear some justification from the folks who posted here defending the bailout package.   ANY justification. 

Or hell, I'd like to know of any of them were dumb enough to not go back and delete their posts.

Folks are going to get upset when news like this gets around...
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
No, it's not a drive-by posting, and thanks for fleshing it out, Dasmi.   =)
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

RaspberrySurprise

• friend
  • Yub yub Commander
Can we get the rope now boss?
Look, tiny text!

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
While I still approve of the rope option, I do feel the need to point out that the 7B, from the verbage inside the article, includes total payroll, not just bonuses.

Still, better than 3M per partner, of which there are 443 translates to 1.3B, 19% of payroll is 'executive bonuses'. 

That needs to be fixed.

RaspberrySurprise

• friend
  • Yub yub Commander
If your company needed a bailout you don't deserve a bonus.
Look, tiny text!

mtnbkr

• friend
If your company needed a bailout you don't deserve a bonus.

FTW.  In my company, if my division's growth isn't above last year's growth (which itself was positive and probably above market average), my bonus gets reduced or possibly eliminated.

But I'm just being populist to expect CEOs to operate by the same rules.

Chris

Waitone

• friend
Years ago I work for a LARGE specialty chemicals company.  The economy was in the tank.  Profitability of the company was down.  Talk of a pay raise elicited a sustained horse laugh.  Budget were severely cut.  It was actually suggest that engineers ride the company's tractor trailers to their installations as opposed to flying.  Approved hotels were downgraded to the range of seedy.

End of the year the CEO gets a cool check for $1 million.  The explanation?  The results would have been much worse if he hadn't done such a fine job.

Morale sucked for a long time.
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds. It will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
- Charles Mackay, Scottish journalist, circa 1841

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it." - John Lennon

grislyatoms

• friends
I hate this. Salary, well, maybe (and I say maybe very reservedly) I can buy into that if it keeps the wheels turning.

Never mind that, I was thinking a lot of this would go to rank-and-file payroll, but apparently it's not. Now I'm even more ticked off. I, dutifully saving down payment on a house and scrimping and saving everywhere I can, am paying for their salaries and BONUSES with my tax money? MY HEAD IS ABOUT TO EXPLODE

Bonus? BONUS? I can't write what I think about that...

Last place I worked, upper management would get HEALTHY 6 figure bonuses whilst many depts didn't have the budgets to operate properly. They held stuff together with spit and duct tape.

Ya know, it's bad enough paying taxes to support folks who refuse to work but now I HAVE TO SUPPORT CORPORATE FATCAT WELFARE TOO?

I need to go for a walk or something...

« Last Edit: November 03, 2008, 12:21:10 PM by grislyatoms »
"A son of the sea, am I" Gordon Lightfoot

Racehorse

• friend
This sort of thing is what will happen any time a group can set its own salary with someone else's money. It's the same in government. They get taken care of no matter what.

MechAg94

• friend
Okay, without considering the bailout side of this, is that sort of bonus payout normal?  Does that company make that sort of cash that it can afford to pay out over $1Billion in bonuses?  If I was a customer, I would be asking what my dollars were paying for. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
Okay, without considering the bailout side of this, is that sort of bonus payout normal?  Does that company make that sort of cash that it can afford to pay out over $1Billion in bonuses?  If I was a customer, I would be asking what my dollars were paying for. 

Worse, what questions would you be asking if you're a stockholder