Author Topic: 75 years ago today...  (Read 6102 times)

RadioFreeSeaLab

• friend
75 years ago today...
« on: December 05, 2008, 02:10:41 AM »
The 21st Amendment to the Constitution was fully ratified, repealing Prohibition.  Celebrate accordingly. :)
I have purchased several good microbrews for the event.  Can someone suggest a not terribly expensive whiskey or bourbon?  Something very American would be best.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2008, 03:22:11 PM by dasmi »

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
Re: 75 years ago tomorrow...
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2008, 02:20:46 AM »
The 21st Amendment to the Constitution was fully ratified, repealing Prohibition.  Celebrate accordingly. :)
I have purchased several good microbrews for the event.  Can someone suggest a not terribly expensive whiskey or bourbon?  Something very American would be best.

thanks! I promise to celebrate by talking about it at my local AA meeting! =D
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

RadioFreeSeaLab

• friend
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2008, 02:22:03 AM »
Excellent.  Celebrate that you have the choice not to drink, instead of having that choice forced on you by the law. 

S. Williamson

• formerly Dionysusigma
  • friends
  • It's not the years, it's the mileage.
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2008, 03:05:47 AM »
Indeed.  =)

Woodford Reserve is my favorite bourbon.
"The chances of finding out what's really going on are so remote, the only thing to do is hang the sense of it and keep yourself occupied. I'd far rather be happy than right any day."
"And are you?"
"No, that's where it all falls apart I'm afraid. Pity, it sounds like quite a nice lifestyle otherwise."
-Douglas Adams

Standing Wolf

• friend
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2008, 12:22:10 PM »
75 years ago, we accepted the obvious fact prohibition had been a stupid mistake, and rectified it. Today, we're still enormously proud of ourselves for continuing to make it.

History teaches us first and past people don't learn the obvious lessons of history.
No tyrant should ever be allowed to die of natural causes.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2008, 12:24:04 PM »
One banned substance down. Hundreds more to go.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

RadioFreeSeaLab

• friend
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2008, 12:25:18 PM »
One banned substance down. Hundreds more to go.
Yep

PTK

• friends
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2008, 12:37:27 PM »
75 years ago, we accepted the obvious fact prohibition had been a stupid mistake, and rectified it. Today, we're still enormously proud of ourselves for continuing to make it.

History teaches us first and past people don't learn the obvious lessons of history.

Well said.   =)
"Only lucky people grow old." - Frederick L.
September 1915 - August 2008

"If you really do have cancer "this time", then this is your own fault. Like the little boy who cried wolf."

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2008, 01:09:27 PM »
Can someone suggest a not terribly expensive whiskey or bourbon?  Something very American would be best.

Maker's Mark. Runs about $22 a fifth here in Iowa. Smooth as silk.

Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

PTK

• friends
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2008, 01:17:29 PM »
Knob Creek is good, as is Stranahan's.

"If you really do have cancer "this time", then this is your own fault. Like the little boy who cried wolf."

Eleven Mike

• friends
  • All your desert are belong to us.
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2008, 01:19:11 PM »
As I don't drink, I will celebrate by losing my job, wrecking my car, beating my wife, kicking the dog, and then having a passionate romance with an ugly chick.  :P

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2008, 01:20:26 PM »
Charby's suggestion of Makers Mark is a good one for bourbon. An American rye like Sazerac would be another more esoteric choice.
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

gunsmith

• friend
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2008, 01:40:04 PM »
in my drinking days, I always got what I paid for.
I suggest Jameson Irish Whiskey.
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

PTK

• friends
« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2008, 01:40:47 PM »
As I don't drink, I will celebrate by losing my job, wrecking my car, beating my wife, kicking the dog, and then having a passionate romance with an ugly chick.  :P

And this has... what, exactly, to do with drinking?  ;/

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2008, 03:19:49 PM »
Charby's suggestion of Makers Mark is a good one for bourbon. An American rye like Sazerac would be another more esoteric choice.

Templeton Rye also if you live in Iowa or Chicago.

Made here in Iowa, sold in Chicago because it was reported to be a favorite of Big Al Capone back in the prohibition era. Has been and still distilled illegally for year until a few years ago when a group of folks opened up a distillery. The illegal hooch is much better tasting than the legal stuff, but if you like rye whiskey then the store bought stuff is pretty good.

Uranus is a gas giant.

Don't care

« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2008, 04:21:39 PM »
Indeed.  =)

Woodford Reserve is my favorite bourbon.

=)+ 1 (Hundred proof)

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #16 on: December 05, 2008, 04:35:30 PM »
Maker's Mark. Runs about $22 a fifth here in Iowa. Smooth as silk.

Will put hair on your chest for sure.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Kyle

Re: 75 years ago today...
« Reply #17 on: December 05, 2008, 04:54:21 PM »
If you insist on American, Knob Creek is one of my favorite Bourbons.  It is by the Jim Beam company, excellent.

However, I would highly recommend Jameson Irish Whiskey. If you have never had it on the rocks or neat before, try it. Easily the tastiest and most drinkable whiskey of any type in it's price range, IMHO.

It is in the $20-30 range. To get a whiskey I enjoy more than Jameson, I have had to go into the $40-50 range, and even then I still prefer Jameson most of the time.

And you can make a very Irish weekend out of a bottle of Jameson (and a 12 pack of Guinness and a bottle of Baileys)! Have a couple friends over for dinner Friday night. Everyone can enjoy a nice glass or two of whiskey while you cook dinner (corned beef, cabbage and boiled potatoes would be just fine). Then everyone has a Guinness or two with dinner, and some Baileys for sipping afterward.

Make sure you invite them back for Saturday night, because that's when you use the rest of the Jameson, Baileys, and Guinness for Irish Car Bombs!

(In case anyone is not familiar with the concept: Drop an ounce of Baileys and an once of Jameson into a glass containing half a bottle of Guinness and make sure you chug it, because it will curdle  :O )

RadioFreeSeaLab

• friend
« Reply #18 on: December 05, 2008, 06:02:41 PM »
I am all too familiar with the Irish car bomb.  Way, way too familiar.  They taste so damn good.  Let's not talk about it anymore, OK? :)
Here's how you put one together.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JymxjLDKC8s
« Last Edit: December 05, 2008, 06:05:42 PM by dasmi »

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #19 on: December 05, 2008, 06:09:54 PM »
Will put hair on your chest for sure.

Pansy

Uranus is a gas giant.

Eleven Mike

• friends
  • All your desert are belong to us.
« Reply #20 on: December 05, 2008, 06:31:04 PM »
And this has... what, exactly, to do with drinking?  ;/

Quite a bit, actually.  Believe it or not, they actually banned alcohol at one time, because of that kind of thing.  ;)

Go ahead and have that drink, though.  It might bring back your sense of humor.  :)

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #21 on: December 05, 2008, 06:55:09 PM »
Eleven Mike beat me to it.

They're all alcoholic sporting events.  ;)

Am I the only one with an affinity for Irish Red Breast? 

I had a one-star acquaintance and former F-4 Phantom jock who talked me into finishing a bottle of Jeremiah Weed with him. 

Icky-poo.   =|
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

Bigjake

• friend
« Reply #22 on: December 05, 2008, 07:01:46 PM »
Cheers, y'all, and the hell with .Gov nanny-ism.

Got a bottle of Sailor Jerry's rum to wash down the tacos I'm making right now...

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #23 on: December 05, 2008, 07:28:57 PM »
Those Irish Car Bombs look good.

I think the young bartender in the video had made a few test runs prior to shooting the actual lesson.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

gunsmith

• friend
« Reply #24 on: December 05, 2008, 07:57:20 PM »

Thats my plan, I do not need a drink to enjoy the full effects of "a few drinks" I also plan to throw away wallet,keys & find a mean old cop to argue with! =D :police: :angel:

For me, thats what happens when I drink, so I can skip the alcohol and just enjoy the consequences! :laugh:

One thing is clear in AA literature, AA isn't a temperance movement, so you guys have one for me!