Author Topic: Everyone thinks they're good?  (Read 10719 times)

xavier fremboe

• friends
  • All-American Meanie
    • The Shop
Re: Everyone thinks they're good?
« Reply #25 on: September 18, 2009, 07:37:27 PM »
Fascist. 
Your sky is one big bundle of sticks with an axe?  That's a hell of a Dyson Sphere!
If the bandersnatch seems even mildly frumious, best to shun it.  Really. http://www.cctplastics.com

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #26 on: September 18, 2009, 07:49:51 PM »
Based on the number of crashes I have had on the mountain bikes, I am obviously a piss-poor cyclist.  This is why I carry whilst on the bikes: so I can administer my own coup de grace while lying in a tangled heap of flesh and spokes.  I figure sub minute of MillCreek should be sufficient.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

BryanP

• friendly hermit
  • friend
« Reply #27 on: September 18, 2009, 08:26:01 PM »
One of my favorite stories is that I got to do the DUI test on the first day I had my license.  I had a job working in the kitchen at the NCO club (my dad was stationed at Yokota AFB at the time).  I was pulled over because of something minor with a light, but one of my coworkers had slipped and dumped half a carafe of white wine all over me during the evening.  I rolled the window down, the SP got one whiff and said "Out of the car." 

I explained the situation, and based on how lucid I was he said he believed me, but he was going to have to make me do the whole rigmarole anyway.  Touch the nose, walk the line, pick up the coins, fun fun fun.
"Inaccurately attributed quotes are the bane of the internet" - Abraham Lincoln

Declaration Day

• friends
« Reply #28 on: September 18, 2009, 09:23:01 PM »
I'm not a perfect driver, but I am a courteous one.  I've been in a few accidents that were legally the other driver's fault, but could have been avoided if I were a more defensive driver.  I don't run late yellow lights, I ALWAYS use my turn signals and always let someone merge over if they use theirs (but never if they don't), unless they're being jerks in a construction zone and zoom to the end of a closed lane and attempt to jump in front of 50 other drivers who waited their turn.

As a shooter I'm way better than average, but don't really hold myself to that standard.  Some days I can  put all of my shots in the bullseye, some days I have 4 inch groups.  Either way, I tell myself "If that were a criminal or a deer, he / it would be dead."  That's good enough for me!

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #29 on: September 18, 2009, 11:10:01 PM »
Oh, forgot the shooting thing. 

Well, I like to quote Scarlett O'Hara, "I can shoot straight, if I don't have to shoot too far."

Pistols
The few times I have shot IPSC, I have always clusted with the "B" class guys.

I always shot "Expert" for Uncle Sam, but the pistol course was a push-over.

For some reason, one SSG thought I was some sort of pistolero becasue I could take the M4/M16 25m zero target, place it at 25m and nail it with an issue M9.  "You could hit a man at 300 meters with your M9!?!?"

Well,  I could take every unissued M9 to the range, shoot groups with them, and then drift the sights so that windage was dead on for me and I knew them.  Then, I picked the one with the best groups and did the "shoot the 300m reduced target with an M9 trick."

Rifles
My eyesight isn't the greatest, so I have to work the other elements.

Given a sub-MOA rifle and a bench, I can shoot sub-MOA groups.  But, that is more a test of the rifle and the ability to take advantage of the bench & other equipment.

When I took Uncle Sam's money, I usually shot Sharpshooter, but got Expert a few times. 

The Appleseed I went to showed my how rusty my field positions were. 

Shotguns (Wing Shooting)

As a kid I was really, really good.  I loved skeet, especially doubles, becasue it rewarded quickness.  Trap, I was less fond of, but did OK.

I was successful on the hunts I went on with my dad.  I'll never forget the pheasants we got.  I loved it when they would explode out of the brush in a burst of flapping and noise.  What a thrill.

I haven't done any wing shooting in a LONG time.  I have no idea how I would do.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #30 on: September 19, 2009, 05:17:19 PM »
unless they're being jerks in a construction zone and zoom to the end of a closed lane and attempt to jump in front of 50 other drivers who waited their turn.

Don't be that guy. They usually care about their fenders way more than I do.  =D
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
  • From the saner side of Las Vegas
« Reply #31 on: September 20, 2009, 02:05:17 AM »
I think I'm competent.

I've been a commercial driving instructor for about 15 years, I've had my CDL since 1985.  I'm pretty close to getting my 2 million mile safe driving patch.   :cool:

DD
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
for a lead role in a cage?
-P.F.

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #32 on: September 20, 2009, 02:11:30 AM »
Hosed the remains of some who probably thought they were good right off the asphalt. 

Well, they were good until they just plain weren't no more, that is...
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #33 on: September 20, 2009, 09:41:34 AM »
I'm pretty close to getting my 2 million mile safe driving patch.

I hope I haven't told this story before. An old friend of ours drove semi for Oster. He got his million mile award at a small ceremony at the company offices. Got in his rig in the parking lot, backed up, and ran over a squad car.

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
« Reply #34 on: September 20, 2009, 12:02:22 PM »
^^^

I have a similar story.  Twice they moved my portrait, twice I had a boo-boo right after.  It's like a jinx!

DD
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
-P.F.

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #35 on: September 20, 2009, 11:48:41 PM »
Hosed the remains of some who probably thought they were good right off the asphalt. 

Well, they were good until they just plain weren't no more, that is...

Yep. I think some of us mean "good" as in "Safe and careful." Too many mean "I like driving fast."
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #36 on: September 21, 2009, 12:42:22 AM »
What is the definition of a "good driver" exactly?

If it's someone who has never been an accident (that required insurance information to be swapped, anyway) and never had a ticket, then I'd consider myself a good driver.  Not quite sure what other metrics you could use, save "been in a legitimate auto race and placed well."

I have gotten into some bad situations in a vehicle that required some very fast thinking and maneuvering to get out of without ending up in the hospital, though; once or twice through my own inattention.  I'd like to think the fact that I didn't end up being carried away in an ambulance and/or having to replace a vehicle proof that I am pretty good, but then again I shouldn't have gotten into the situation in the first place.

As for shooting;  I'd say I'm above average, but I don't get to the range enough to be called "good."  Expert marksman I am not.  Decent shot, maybe.
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

crt360

• friend
« Reply #37 on: September 21, 2009, 02:23:44 AM »
I have no problem saying I think I'm pretty good at both driving and shooting.  Am I the best in the world?  No, but I'm much better than average.  I also don't mind admitting that I'm not good at certain activities like ballroom dancing, knitting, or riding horses.  My golf game is average and most kids in the neighborhood could probably school me on the basketball court.

I truly enjoy driving.  You'd think after twenty-something years of driving, I'd be tired of it.  My favorite parts of the day are usually driving to and from work.  I've talked to a lot of people about driving and found that many think of it as a chore, like brushing their teeth or mowing the lawn.  They have no interest in it other than to get from point A to point B.  It's no surprise that they do other stuff like texting, reading, and applying make-up when they should be focused on driving.  The last two wrecks I was in involved female drivers turning around to mess with their kids in the back seat.  One rear-ended me at a red light, and the other ran a stop sign and hit me in the side.  There are plenty more like them that think they are good drivers (per Balog's "safe and careful" definition) because they haven't had a ticket or a serious accident, yet.  Maybe their fellow drivers have just been really good at dodging them.

I think there is room for "fast driving" in the definition as well.  Obviously, the faster you can drive safely, the more skilled a driver you probably are.  This doesn't mean everyone (or anyone) should go out and tempt Gewehr98's hose.  With little driver training required in the U.S., it's pretty hard to come up with an objective measure.  Being good on a racetrack seems like it would signify good driving skills, but the conditions are quite different.  I recall an F1 driver's wife once talking about how bad a driver her husband was off the track.
For entertainment purposes only.

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
« Reply #38 on: September 21, 2009, 07:57:11 AM »
I've noted before that it's a shame we don't spend as much time/money honing our driving skills as we do our shooting skills.  Every time we go to the range or take a class, we should wonder why we don't do the equivalent for our driving.

DD
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
-P.F.

Jocassee

• Buster Scruggs Respecter
  • friends
  • "First time?"
here we go.
« Reply #39 on: September 21, 2009, 09:48:35 AM »

« Last Edit: September 21, 2009, 09:51:36 AM by Cmdr. Gravez0r »
I shall not die alone, alone, but kin to all the powers,
As merry as the ancient sun and fighting like the flowers.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
Re: here we go.
« Reply #40 on: September 23, 2009, 12:32:21 AM »

There are different philosophies on shooting.  Some folks measure their shooting by their accuracy and sub-MOA groupings...

Some of us subscribe to the "lead rain" philosophy.    =D

"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #41 on: September 23, 2009, 12:40:56 AM »
There are different philosophies on shooting.  Some folks measure their shooting by their accuracy and sub-MOA groupings...

Two words that make that viable:
Belt Fed
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #42 on: September 23, 2009, 11:11:46 AM »
IMO, most people are decent drivers in the style and manner that they normally drive.  It is when they get distracted or do things that are outside of their normal driving patterns that they get in trouble.  IMO, the key is knowing your limitations and recognizing bad habits.  Those who do that, drive well, those who don't screw up.

I think I drive decently in my truck in the mildly aggressive manner I normally drive.  I can see ahead of the cars in front of me in my truck and I know what to watch for to remain safe the way I drive.  If I have to get out of that driving style, I can't do the same things without driving badly.  I notice a lot of other drivers that have completely different habits from me, but they probably work for them.  If someone drives slow and leaves 137 yards between them and the next car, I guess that is what they decided works for them.  I can live with that and go around them.  I recognize that other drivers are better than me and others are worse in their own way.  I recognize that I have decent depth perception, but some people don't, and others have other advantages over me.

Of course, that doesn't stop me from getting upset with other drivers sometimes.  I just try to keep all that in mind.  :D

On shooting, I guess I can be pretty good at times, but I am pretty sloppy the majority of the time.  I finally managed to get a 1/2" 100 yard group with my match barreled AR, but that was only after several attempts and just having a good day and a single good group.  I can't seem to approach that kind of consistency with pistols.  I can put shots on paper at 25 yards easily enough, but I struggle trying to group shots.  
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #43 on: September 23, 2009, 11:22:55 AM »
I loved it when they would explode out of the brush in a burst of flapping and noise.

I usually wait till they leave the bush before shooting them
;)
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

Declaration Day

• friends
« Reply #44 on: September 23, 2009, 09:49:26 PM »
An incident today reminded me of this thread, and solidified my definition of a bad driver. 

First, the definition:

Someone who drives as though there's nobody else on the road; people who blow red lights, don't use turn signals, merge lanes (with or w-out signal) at dangerously close distances to other cars, or have no qualms about holding up dozens of drivers because he's the first car in the left driving lane at the stoplight of a major intersection and decides he wants to be in the left turn lane, so he puts his signal on and remains stopped after the light turns green, instead of passing the intersection and turning around.  He's also the guy who parks right in front of the doors of a gas station / convenience store, though there are marked parking spaces 15 feet away.

The incident:

The wife and I were driving to our daughter's volleyball game this afternoon, during rush hour.  The main road we were driving on has two lanes each direction plus a left turn lane. It's flanked by residential homes.  One of them on the right had a fishing boat for sale out front.  A**hole on the newer F-150 in front of us decided to check out the boat.  The house had a wide open driveway, which he had plenty of time to pull into, but he stopped his truck in the right driving lane, and took off his seat belt to get out of the truck. Did I mention this was during rush hour traffic?  So we managed to merge over, and he shouted some choice words at me because I had honked my horn at him, as if I was the one who was rude.  =|

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #45 on: September 24, 2009, 08:42:08 AM »

PURE WIN !!!

I wish I had my M1911 qual target from MPOB.  I got a 55 out of 40 !!
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #46 on: September 24, 2009, 08:53:25 AM »
An incident today reminded me of this thread, and solidified my definition of a bad driver.  . . . So we managed to merge over, and he shouted some choice words at me because I had honked my horn at him, as if I was the one who was rude.  =|
Sounds like he was not just an idiot, but a potential "road rager." Just as well you kept on going.

At this point I'll step up on my soap box about how I deal with road rage / bad drivers. Now, there, was a time when I'd reply in kind to curses, rude gestures, etc., . . . but I haven't been an (occasionally) hotheaded 17 year old for a long time, and I now live in Texas, where people can be licensed to carry guns . . . and if you're only carrying a gun in your car and not on your person, you don't even need a license.  :cool:

Now, picking a fight with someone who may be armed is the mark of a fool . . . and I don't really care about what a fool thinks of me.

So if other driver cusses, flips me the bird, or whatever . . . I smile, wave, shrug, and let the idiot think I'm apologizing for whatever the heck he thinks I did. Inside, I'm probably seething . . . and mentally calling him every name in the book . . . but I don't let any of that show.

Normally, the incident is over in less time than it takes to write about it. But if it escalates, I'm going to be darned sure ALL the escalation is on HIS part.

The idiot gets to drive off thinking he's Alpha Male King of the Road . . . and I get to drive off and go about my business without having to use deadly force to defend myself or my passengers. (Remember what I said about firearms in Texas.  :angel: ) No gun brandished, no shots fired, no police, no grand jury, no dead bodies . . .

That's a good ending in my book.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #47 on: September 24, 2009, 09:40:13 AM »
Various skills:

Shooting
I consider myself average with a rifle, marginally above average with a pistol, and below average with a shotgun.

Cooking
Right about average.  I know how to make several things well, but often the first time I try making something new, it sucks.  :mad:

Driving
I think my driving is above average.  I always use turn signals, rarely drive more then 5 over and have never been cited for anything.  I take time every winter to find a deserted parking lot and practice sliding and recovery to get my winter driving skills on.  As an added bonus, its fun!

Handyman/repair
I consider myself way above average in most parts of the "fix stuff" category.  I can fabricate or repair a great many things.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #48 on: September 24, 2009, 11:25:13 AM »
Sounds like he was not just an idiot, but a potential "road rager." Just as well you kept on going.

At this point I'll step up on my soap box about how I deal with road rage / bad drivers. Now, there, was a time when I'd reply in kind to curses, rude gestures, etc., . . . but I haven't been an (occasionally) hotheaded 17 year old for a long time, and I now live in Texas, where people can be licensed to carry guns . . . and if you're only carrying a gun in your car and not on your person, you don't even need a license.  :cool:

Now, picking a fight with someone who may be armed is the mark of a fool . . . and I don't really care about what a fool thinks of me.

So if other driver cusses, flips me the bird, or whatever . . . I smile, wave, shrug, and let the idiot think I'm apologizing for whatever the heck he thinks I did. Inside, I'm probably seething . . . and mentally calling him every name in the book . . . but I don't let any of that show.

Normally, the incident is over in less time than it takes to write about it. But if it escalates, I'm going to be darned sure ALL the escalation is on HIS part.

The idiot gets to drive off thinking he's Alpha Male King of the Road . . . and I get to drive off and go about my business without having to use deadly force to defend myself or my passengers. (Remember what I said about firearms in Texas.  :angel: ) No gun brandished, no shots fired, no police, no grand jury, no dead bodies . . .

That's a good ending in my book.

I normally try to ignore it and go my way, but if someone is gesturing or something, I just smile.  Even without the deadly force angle, the confrontation isn't worth is and won't do me a bit of good. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Declaration Day

• friends
« Reply #49 on: September 24, 2009, 06:36:44 PM »
I normally try to ignore it and go my way, but if someone is gesturing or something, I just smile.  Even without the deadly force angle, the confrontation isn't worth is and won't do me a bit of good. 

Exactly.  Most things like that are just not worth getting angry over, and they're definitely not worth a confrontation where you may end up hurt / killed / in jail.  As with the idiot in my last post, I won't hesitate to lay on my horn to let someone know that what they're doing is rude or dangerous, but I always leave it at that.