Author Topic: Everyone thinks they're good?  (Read 10720 times)

freedom lover

• resident high school student
  • "Who is the Coon?"
Re: Everyone thinks they're good?
« Reply #50 on: September 24, 2009, 07:00:03 PM »
I didn't read the whole thread.

Shooting: Not really good at all compared to many others, but I've never practiced and am most certainly inexperienced. I can hit a can at 35 feet with my crappy Red Ryder BB gun standing and aiming down the barrel about 80% of the time. The front site has broken off and the rear is unadjustable. I have no clue if it was ever functional at all. I'm sure my skills are nothing compared to the dirt poor kids in Appalachia who have to bag squirrels if they want to have something for dinner.

Driving: Again I'm inexperienced. I haven't been doing much at all recently. I need to practice backing up, parking, night driving, and snow driving. As for everything else (which happens to be easy) driving wise I'm about average compared to everybody else. I have the advantage of being used to fairly congested highways full of obnoxious drivers. Those situations bother my aunt, as she has little practice in them.

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #51 on: September 24, 2009, 07:07:49 PM »
one of the interesting realizations of my dotage is i no longer confuse being lucky with being skillful
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

freedom lover

• resident high school student
  • "Who is the Coon?"
« Reply #52 on: September 24, 2009, 07:12:20 PM »
one of the interesting realizations of my dotage is i no longer confuse being lucky with being skillful

I would think that some beginners' luck would at least give a person extra time to aquire necessary skills. It probably depends on the circumstances and the person.

• friends
« Reply #53 on: September 24, 2009, 07:32:06 PM »
a friends mom once remarked that special angels look out for kids drunks and fools   and that her son and i had aat least double protection
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #54 on: September 24, 2009, 08:09:08 PM »
As with the idiot in my last post, I won't hesitate to lay on my horn to let someone know that what they're doing is rude or dangerous, but I always leave it at that.

Doing even that in some places will get you lead poisoning.   =|

I just smile and continue on my way.  It's not worth getting killed over.
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

• friends
« Reply #55 on: September 24, 2009, 08:15:33 PM »

very true!  sad but true

Declaration Day

• friends
« Reply #56 on: September 24, 2009, 08:34:48 PM »
Doing even that in some places will get you lead poisoning.   =|

You're right, in some places it will.  If I were in downtown Detroit, I probably would have done as you do.  Each situation has to be assessed accordingly.  In this case, I was in the suburbs and an idiot put my family in danger because he wanted to check out a used fishing boat.  I honked my horn and went about my way.  Your point is clear, but I'm not going to walk through life never speaking out against dangerous idiocy for fear of being killed. That's just paranoid.

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #57 on: September 24, 2009, 09:16:18 PM »
I try to avoid driviing in places where honking gets you shot at.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

jackdanson

• friend
« Reply #58 on: September 24, 2009, 10:52:11 PM »
I'm a great driver... when I'm paying attention.

My shooting is good compared to the "average joe", but incredibly sucky when compared to "skilled" shooters.  I really don't know how all these people online say ohh yeah that rifle is sub moa...  I shoot fairly often and I very rarely shoot sub inch 5-shot groups.  Even using quality rifles, a bench,  and handloads.

BridgeRunner

• friend
« Reply #59 on: September 24, 2009, 11:13:55 PM »
My shooting is mediocre and I have no idea about my driving in general.

There are a number of things I am good at, and a lot of things I am average at, and many, many things I totally suck at. 

If I could choose some things to be spectacularly good at, driving and shooting would be way down the list, below making money, putting up with familial bs, and breathing.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #60 on: September 24, 2009, 11:45:56 PM »
My shooting is good compared to the "average joe", but incredibly sucky when compared to "skilled" shooters. 

This.  When I'm with a bunch of noobs, I display god-like pistolero skills.  In the company of gunnies, not so much.  I shoot poorly with a rifle, regardless. 
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #61 on: September 24, 2009, 11:48:53 PM »
My shooting is good compared to the "average joe", but incredibly sucky when compared to "skilled" shooters.  I really don't know how all these people online say ohh yeah that rifle is sub moa...  I shoot fairly often and I very rarely shoot sub inch 5-shot groups.  Even using quality rifles, a bench,  and handloads.

That's kind of weird. I don't consider myself to be a rifleman, but I shoot (when I shoot) 1/2 MOA or better from sandbags using my reloads. My best target was four shots into one perfectly clean hole, and a fifth shot touching the others, at 100 yards using a bone-stock Browning heavy barrel varmint.

I'd be shooting better now but, as my range-buddy-who-scammed-the-disability-system-since-1985 says, "your problem is that you have to work."

xavier fremboe

• friends
  • All-American Meanie
    • The Shop
« Reply #62 on: September 25, 2009, 05:30:51 AM »
Working does get in the way. I've been practicing pistol more than rifle of late. I did shoot an average 0.78 draw-to-shot at five meters with a race holster. 0.85 with a black hawk (modified to defeat the retention, but still idpa reg.)  I am comfortable I can defend me and mine.
If the bandersnatch seems even mildly frumious, best to shun it.  Really. http://www.cctplastics.com

Crow1108

« Reply #63 on: September 25, 2009, 10:45:35 AM »
The only accident I've had was not my fault (guy rear-ended me). Screwed up the front end on his Mazda 323, but only put a couple of scratches on my Mustang's bumper. The dude was very apologetic about it, and his insurance company took care of the repairs, so no harm no foul. Only gotten two tickets in the 9 years that I've been driving. One was for speeding (on base...doing a 40kph in a 30kph zone...rediculously low speed limits  :rolleyes:), and the other was for getting my picture taken by the red light cameras. So I'd say above average.

Shooter: Well...I can keep them all on paper with just one or two fliers, so I'd say average, at least for this crowd. Above average taking into account all the new gun owners in the past year or so.
"I work in the back. I see no smiles."--"Bruce Allmighty"