Author Topic: Another mid-size pickup is coming  (Read 5319 times)

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
Re: Another mid-size pickup is coming
« Reply #25 on: November 20, 2013, 08:33:39 PM »
Oh, IIRC, Dodge is coming out with a diesel V6 for their half ton sometime soon.  It will be the EPA-mandated sucky new diesel, though.  The one with awful MPG and the asinine soot trap dealie-o. 

Dear Lord in Heaven, I must ask forgiveness for wishing boils and locusts and plagues of frogs on those who work for the EPA for their diesel regs. 
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #26 on: November 20, 2013, 08:56:54 PM »
Of the problems I've had with vehicles, power windows and door locks rate at the bottom of the list. PDL, when they "fail" it's usually just back to the manual level, so no loss there.

My Silverado, 1999, is at 215k with the original window motors. No problem and they are still very strong. I'm not too worried about them...when they eventually do fail, it'll be $100 per door to replace. Not that big of a deal. I do like the abililty to roll down and roll up my windows quickly and without having to reach all the way to the other side of the truck to crank down the opposite window. Now, back when I had a blazer, yeah the power windows failed a lot more often but I think that was due to an undersized motor. Weren't hard at all to replace, either, on that model.

Mine also has carpet. And it hasn't been a problem. I just vacuum the dirt out a couple times a year. Its still in great shape. Big whoop. And yes, before you ask, I am an outdoors person so I've always got mud on my boots and filthy gear.

Other than price, here are the biggest issues with modern gasoline powered trucks...transmissions (putting a car transmission in a fullsize pickup truck is *expletive deleted* retarded...thanks GM) and the extreme electronics that are used in modern vehicles for engine and vehicle management. Diesels...the whole *expletive deleted*ing engine is *expletive deleted*it.

Oh, IIRC, Dodge is coming out with a diesel V6 for their half ton sometime soon.  It will be the EPA-mandated sucky new diesel, though.  The one with awful MPG and the asinine soot trap dealie-o.

*expletive deleted*ing EPA...

« Last Edit: November 20, 2013, 09:02:44 PM by Boomhauer »
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #27 on: November 21, 2013, 12:08:22 AM »
At this point, manual door locks and windows would likely be more expensive.  By the time you make a handle, make another interior panel, and add a "look at the spec sheet" step for a UAW guy it's cheaper just to slap motors in the doors.  and like boom said PW/DL's are pretty trouble free these days.  when they fail it's usually the cheap little rubber balls that connect the regulator to the motor.  $5 at NAPA and you're good for another 15 years.

Boomhauer

• friends
« Reply #28 on: November 21, 2013, 12:15:52 AM »
And also I really like my little key clicker. The rest of modern conveniences, I can live without but a remote keyless entry system (and I'd love to have remote start) is just nice to have...

BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #29 on: November 21, 2013, 02:08:08 AM »
I want 3 pedals and 2 sticks. Instead we get 2 pedals, a slushbox, and a Rube Goldberg 4wd system.
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #30 on: November 21, 2013, 02:16:28 AM »
I've got my 3 pedals and 2 stick fix covered with the M715. But I've recently made the plunge and bought a 2011 Ram 1500 crew cab 4x4. It has plenty of bells and whistles and fancy gee gaws. It's defiantly a step up from the '92 Cherokee as far as amenities and comfort and it is better suited for towing my boat.
The rearview camera is pretty slick when hooking up a trailer, just make sure the trailer hitch is jacked up high enough then just back the ball up under it.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #31 on: November 21, 2013, 09:54:52 AM »
I want 3 pedals and 2 sticks. Instead we get 2 pedals, a slushbox, and a Rube Goldberg 4wd system.

And the 4wd may or may not work when it's cold or wet or something, and it disengages when you turn off the key - so it's no good for helping hold the vehicle when parked on a steep hill  =(

On my 1989 K-1500, I just shoved a short piece of 3/4" PVC pipe in front of the non-actuating front axle actuator so that the "hubs" are always locked in.
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #32 on: November 21, 2013, 09:58:52 AM »

Buy a 3/4 ton truck
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #33 on: November 21, 2013, 10:03:29 AM »
And the 4wd may or may not work when it's cold or wet or something, and it disengages when you turn off the key - so it's no good for helping hold the vehicle when parked on a steep hill  =(

Last time I checked most vehicles come with a parking brake and one can buy or make chocks. I wouldn't trust any hubs to hold a vehicle, I've torn my fair share of locking and auto lock hubs apart, their isn't much metal to metal contact on the locking part.

Uranus is a gas giant.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #34 on: November 21, 2013, 10:28:02 AM »
Last time I checked most vehicles come with a parking brake and one can buy or make chocks. I wouldn't trust any hubs to hold a vehicle, I've torn my fair share of locking and auto lock hubs apart, their isn't much metal to metal contact on the locking part.

Parking brake only holds on rear wheels, unless all four are locked together by the 4wd.  I've had to park on a slick hill where two tires just wouldn't hold it.  Good luck chasing it down with your chocks!  :P

We had auto lock hubs but replaced them with manual Warn hubs.  As far as I know, they only work under power and not even then sometimes  =(

And I call bullshit on manual hubs failing under load.  All the horrible things I used to do with my pickup and the hubs never failed under power - I don't think they're going to give up just holding it on a hill (all four tires would slip first).
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #35 on: November 21, 2013, 10:34:32 AM »
Parking brake only holds on rear wheels, unless all four are locked together by the 4wd.  I've had to park on a slick hill where two tires just wouldn't hold it.  Good luck chasing it down with your chocks!  :P

We had auto lock hubs but replaced them with manual Warn hubs.  As far as I know, they only work under power and not even then sometimes  =(

And I call bullshit on manual hubs failing under load.  All the horrible things I used to do with my pickup and the hubs never failed under power - I don't think they're going to give up just holding it on a hill (all four tires would slip first).

I broke a warn hub under power, one should not go like hell on a slick surface then catch a dry surface like a concrete road with one of the front wheels.

Uranus is a gas giant.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #36 on: November 21, 2013, 10:53:19 AM »
I broke a warn hub under power, one should not go like hell on a slick surface then catch a dry surface like a concrete road with one of the front wheels.

Well I guess you can be thankful that it wasn't an axle or driveshaft instead  :P

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #37 on: November 21, 2013, 12:18:50 PM »
Well I guess you can be thankful that it wasn't an axle or driveshaft instead  :P

Took the front knuckle out on a '73 full time 4x4 that I used to plow snow with.

Uranus is a gas giant.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #38 on: November 21, 2013, 01:43:52 PM »
Took the front knuckle out on a '73 full time 4x4 that I used to plow snow with.

Mine was an early 1973 (which I bought brand new, by the way  :P ) so it had the regular 4wd with the massive front hubs that they don't make anymore.

I was young and stupid, and ordered it with the automatic which I almost immediately regretted  :facepalm:  Kept it about seven years and traded it off for a K-10 with a four speed manual.  One of my greatest regrets was that I didn't order the 1973 K-20 with a four speed.  I might still have it in that case.  Damn, I wish I did :(

Up in Alaska, a bunch of us went up to glean firewood off of a powerline.  There was nothing but a Cat trail back in there.  Another guy had a Landrover and a small open trailer.  Since there were lots of young strong people (including the girls!) we loaded up my pickup to the top of the cab with 8-10 foot long pieces and then topped it off with a bunch of 12-14' pieces sticking out over the cab (I had sideboards with extended stakes).  This was all semi-green birch!  Anyway, heading back out to the highway there was a really steep muddy hill.  My Chevy made it up fine, but the Landrover/trailer got stuck.  I didn't have too much chain/cable so I had to back halfway down that near cliff, get the LR hooked up, and start back up and haul the whole works to the top, which the old Chevy did with no drama whatsoever  =)

bedlamite

• friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #39 on: November 21, 2013, 03:52:07 PM »
Buy a 3/4 ton truck

I would if you could get 3 pedals and 2 sticks, but they are not even available.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #40 on: November 21, 2013, 04:10:04 PM »
I would if you could get 3 pedals and 2 sticks, but they are not even available.

order it new from the factory

Uranus is a gas giant.

bedlamite

• friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #41 on: November 21, 2013, 04:19:35 PM »
order it new from the factory

You haven't looked recently, have you? Did you read the part where I mentioned they are not even available? With Ford, you have to get up to the F-650 before a manual is an option, and the Chevy dealer will just have a dumb look on his face when you ask.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #42 on: November 21, 2013, 04:28:06 PM »
You haven't looked recently, have you? Did you read the part where I mentioned they are not even available? With Ford, you have to get up to the F-650 before a manual is an option, and the Chevy dealer will just have a dumb look on his face when you ask.

Dodge offers them.

Uranus is a gas giant.

bedlamite

• friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #43 on: November 21, 2013, 04:29:54 PM »
Dodge offers them.

It'll be a cold day in hell before I ever darken the doorstep of a Chrysler dealership again.

drewtam

• friend
« Reply #44 on: November 21, 2013, 04:45:55 PM »
Gotcha.
Still not very optimistic about their diesel engine once they put all the stupid EPA required *expletive deleted* on it...

Thanks EPA for hating diesels!

The EPA is holding diesel passenger cars tailpipe emissions to the exact same standard as gasoline. It is one of the few times they are making a universal standard and letting the market decide if it is worth it.
I’m not saying I invented the turtleneck. But I was the first person to realize its potential as a tactical garment. The tactical turtleneck! The… tactleneck!

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #45 on: November 21, 2013, 04:53:04 PM »
It'll be a cold day in hell before I ever darken the doorstep of a Chrysler dealership again.

You did say you wanted 3 pedals and 2 sticks. :)

Uranus is a gas giant.

Boomhauer

• friends
« Reply #46 on: November 21, 2013, 07:19:19 PM »
The EPA is holding diesel passenger cars tailpipe emissions to the exact same standard as gasoline. It is one of the few times they are making a universal standard and letting the market decide if it is worth it.

Tell that to the people that die because the ambulance couldn't make it in time because the engine went all wonky or the fire truck decided it needed to regen and wouldn't go into pump gear.

*expletive deleted*ck the EPA

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #47 on: November 21, 2013, 08:35:42 PM »
And just how many times has that happened? 
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

Boomhauer

• friends
« Reply #48 on: November 21, 2013, 08:55:22 PM »
And just how many times has that happened? 

The high failure rate and problems with emergency apparatus engines are a known problem. This is not only a problem from the emergency services standpoint but is also unacceptable from a simple costs standpoint.

Thankfully at my old dept. most of the apparatus was from the mid to late '90s...but the depts with new apparatus quickly discovered that new wasn't always best.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #49 on: November 21, 2013, 11:11:20 PM »
I was reading somewhere the other day that another reason why pickup trucks are not coming with standard transmissions is because the increased torque and horsepower of the newer engines takes too much engineering (over building) of manual transmissions and clutches to handle it and be covered cost effectively under warranty.

Takes a helluva transmission/clutch to handle the 350-450hp some of those engines dish out. Its only been recently that that much horsepower has been available in a small truck.

Uranus is a gas giant.