Author Topic: College Students Have Food Insecurity  (Read 18273 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
College Students Have Food Insecurity
« on: February 15, 2014, 02:18:52 PM »
Really? We have "food insecurity" as a condition now because people feel they don't have "enough access" to "healthy" food? Holy crap.

The researchers should bring this up with the billion or so people in the world that are wondering where their next meal is coming from or if they'll even get one. I'm pretty sure all of those people would get down on their knees and thank their deity if they could get a McDonalds #3 every day.

http://www.foxnews.com/health/2014/02/14/is-food-insecurity-on-rise-among-college-students/
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
Re: College Students Have Food Insecurity
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2014, 02:24:29 PM »
I'm confused.

I know that several generations went through college and earned multiple advanced degrees on the Raman Diet, and they seemed to have turned out mostly all right.

And I happen to know that Raman is still well under $1 per packet (and cheaper if you get store brands or generics, which is somewhat amazing in of itself)
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2014, 03:02:48 PM »
I'm confused.

I know that several generations went through college and earned multiple advanced degrees on the Raman Diet, and they seemed to have turned out mostly all right.

And I happen to know that Raman is still well under $1 per packet (and cheaper if you get store brands or generics, which is somewhat amazing in of itself)

Quite frankly, I always considered those who scraped by to get through college to be the types who probably value their education and I fed to make it mean something.  Lots of respect for people who get it done despite lack of finances.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

zahc

• friend
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2014, 03:28:49 PM »
I like the 19th century understanding, where "good nutrition" means "getting enough to eat".

As Dave Ramsey says, "rice and beans; beans and rice". Food is damn cheap.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2014, 05:19:58 PM »
Quite frankly, I always considered those who scraped by to get through college to be the types who probably value their education and I fed to make it mean something.  Lots of respect for people who get it done despite lack of finances.

My mumma got her undergraduate and her Masters when I was a kid.
She busted her rump during most of that period (a lot of it was before she got together with Dad)
Single woman, with a child, no child support payments, crappy temp jobs, the works. Yet, we lived in a pretty nice house (she rented out the downstairs bedroom) I had more toys and junk then any kid should have (what the relatives didn't provide as gifts, yard sales took care of) and there was plenty of food (we did have a lot of meals that consisted of beans and rice, but also plenty of veggies thanks to a garden and other cheap but good stuff)
I should think if she pulled off college on a budget with a kid (and the requirements of a kid) in tow, then these underprividlged folks should be able to feed themselves pretty darn easy.

I think the real issue is they're just too snotty to lower themselves to shopping at doller stores and eating vegtables that came in a can.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2014, 05:37:17 PM »
anyone want a college kids perspective?  on how hes entitled to food stamps to "make it easier to get good grades" but unemployment is a bad entitlement.
let me know hes attempting to defend that on facebook and its a hoot.
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2014, 05:45:11 PM »
I'm confused.

Two packets of Ramen and a chicken breast was a good night.  I also did a lot of just pasta and sauce.  Cook a pound of spahgetti and a can of sauce, that's 2 meals.  When money was better, added ground beef, onion, and mushrooms.  That
was three meals.

Thing is, I learned a lot about cooking when I was a poor student.  Cheap food was better if seasoned right

No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2014, 05:48:45 PM »
I can tell you from first-hand experience that a lot (not all, but a lot) of college students could benefit from a couple of Reality Stick sessions.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2014, 07:07:05 PM »
354 students at Western Oregon University

From that sample they determined that the sky is falling?

Generations of kids were raised on the stuff American GIs put out in garbage cans.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2014, 08:19:00 PM »
Chicken Noodle Scheisse

5lb box of generic elbow noodles.
5 cans generic Cream of Chicken soup.
Breakfast lunch and dinner for at least 3-4 days. 

My roommate and I supplanted our diet with Grouse, Duck, Goose and Venison.   Whatever we would take.  Family would often give us some of what they harvested.

We lived in a apartment, our school did not have dorms or a cafeteria, and had to cook for ourselves. 

Yeah, we ate MickeyD's Ketchup packets some nights when rent and other bills were paid and there was no money for food.   

Best Day Ever was when Jon got a job delivering pizza's and he could take home the mistakes and joke/misorders. 
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2014, 08:28:18 PM »
No sympathy from this corner. When I was going to school on the GI Bill (post-Vietnam) I can remember stretching a jar of peanut butter and a loaf of bread for more than a week. Grocery store was three blocks from my run-down apartment. I clearly remember the day a paper bag (remember them) broke. My week's supply of milk and orange juice hit the sidewalk and broke. I cried -- I didn't have enough money left that month to buy more.

Kids today have it too easy ... and that's without resorting to the "I walked ten miles to school every day, uphill bothways" jokes.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2014, 10:40:13 PM »
Two packets of Ramen and a chicken breast was a good night.  I also did a lot of just pasta and sauce.  Cook a pound of spahgetti and a can of sauce, that's 2 meals.  When money was better, added ground beef, onion, and mushrooms.  That
was three meals.

Crack an egg into ramen with water.  Nuke the whole thing.

In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2014, 10:59:17 PM »
I feel a red curtain of blood moment coming on...

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2014, 11:09:42 PM »
I feel a red curtain of blood moment coming on...

Ha ha - I knew this would fire up the Boomhauer bloodlust!  =D
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2014, 11:26:13 PM »
Ha ha - I knew this would fire up the Boomhauer bloodlust!  =D
Well yeah; what doesn't?

sm

• friend
« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2014, 11:00:19 AM »
 Food Insecurity?
Umm, just me, still some folks are not being raised right!

True, while in college, I, and others, overheard a college student, asking the 911 operator, how to long to nuke a "baked potato".

Where I used to work, and during a snow storm/blizzard a few years ago, with "no travel"/essential personal only"
[everything closed and shut down...]

Some co-workers "darned near starved to death" and were so upset Fast Food places were closed, and in addition to being closed, were not "doing delivery".

Dead serious! These folks did not have a jar of peanut butter, can of tuna, crackers, bread,...anything.

Besides not being raised right, some have priorities out of whack: i.e, one of the gals that "almost starved to death", would spend $65-$75 every two weeks to have her nails done...

No food, still at least she would have died with nice nails...*smirk*

Scout26

• friend
« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2014, 11:53:45 AM »
You can go 3 minutes without air, 3 days without water and 30 days without food.

No one would have "died".  ;)

Hold fast by the river.
for the motherland.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2014, 11:56:51 AM »
Food Insecurity?

True, while in college, I, and others, overheard a college student, asking the 911 operator, how to long to nuke a "baked potato".

Where I used to work, and during a snow storm/blizzard a few years ago, with "no travel"/essential personal only"

Some co-workers "darned near starved to death" and were so upset Fast Food places were closed, and in addition to being closed, were not "doing delivery".

Dead serious! These folks did not have a jar of peanut butter, can of tuna, crackers, bread,...anything.

Besides not being raised right, some have priorities out of whack: i.e, one of the gals that "almost starved to death", would spend $65-$75 every two weeks to have her nails done...

My informal "SHTF Stash" of food consists of a couple extra jars of both peanut butter & jelly and a couple loaves of bread in the freezer.  Figure I can feed the kids on that for 3+ days on that in the event we are stuck and no one can help for those days.

Hell, I have a decent stash of chow at work if I get stuck there for whatever reason. 
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Scout26

• friend
« Reply #18 on: February 16, 2014, 12:02:11 PM »
I think for most Americans, this applies.

Hold fast by the river.
for the motherland.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
« Reply #19 on: February 16, 2014, 12:08:43 PM »
Food Insecurity?

... Was she the kind of chick that actually ate food?

Because I knew several of those types back in the day, and, too be honest, they "almost starved to death" even when they had money for food.

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #20 on: February 16, 2014, 12:09:44 PM »
Throw them a couple of MRE's and see how quick they shut up.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
« Reply #21 on: February 16, 2014, 12:12:03 PM »
Throw them a couple of MRE's and see how quick they shut up.

Do you honestly think these kids could even figure out how to open the bag? Or realize there is food inside?

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #22 on: February 16, 2014, 12:20:23 PM »
Do you honestly think these kids could even figure out how to open the bag? Or realize there is food inside?

If they can't they deserve to die then, survival of the smartest.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

Azrael256

• friend
« Reply #23 on: February 16, 2014, 12:25:05 PM »
My informal "SHTF Stash" of food consists of a couple extra jars of both peanut butter & jelly and a couple loaves of bread in the freezer.  Figure I can feed the kids on that for 3+ days on that in the event we are stuck and no one can help for those days.

Hell, I have a decent stash of chow at work if I get stuck there for whatever reason. 

Reasonably certain I have a week's supply of calories in my right ass cheek. Water is probably more important.  These kids are blithering idiots who cannot imagine truly going without.

sm

• friend
« Reply #24 on: February 16, 2014, 12:34:36 PM »
You can go 3 minutes without air, 3 days without water and 30 days without food.

No one would have "died".  ;)

This  gal would have "died" had she missed her nail appointment.  :P

Seriously, what we have are folks today  that were not parented, because their parents were not "parented" if you will.
Folks, like myself and others around here, were raised right. Meaning we learned to cook, hunt, fish, keep canned goods ( mason jars and store bought) and other necessities, in the event of emergencies.

Self sufficient, able to think out of the box, improvise, adapt, overcome...etc.

I personally miss the C rations I used to have access to back in the day. Can opener, five pack of smokes, coffee, waterproof matches...and that chocolate was gooood
[that dates me...]