Author Topic: College Students Have Food Insecurity  (Read 18274 times)

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
Re: College Students Have Food Insecurity
« Reply #25 on: February 16, 2014, 12:37:59 PM »
Mommy's not there to make and deliver them their meals.  They have to walk alllllllllllllllllll the waaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyy across campus to the cafeteria to eat and they only make things I don't like.

[/ spoiled brat whinging]
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #26 on: February 16, 2014, 01:08:27 PM »
Reasonably certain I have a week's supply of calories in my right ass cheek.
So we just have to salt the meat properly so it doesn't spoil, right?

Scout26

• friend
« Reply #27 on: February 16, 2014, 01:52:48 PM »
 Long pork:  It's what's for dinner.  :P  :laugh: :rofl:

Hold fast by the river.
for the motherland.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #28 on: February 16, 2014, 02:18:32 PM »
So we just have to salt the meat properly so it doesn't spoil, right?

ewww.

No, strike that...

EEEWWWW!!!!!!!  :O :O :O :O

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #29 on: February 16, 2014, 03:48:44 PM »
Long pork:  It's what's for dinner.  :P  :laugh: :rofl:
I'm sorry scout, cannibalism is illegal and we don't discuss illegal activities on APS.

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #30 on: February 16, 2014, 05:30:52 PM »
I'm sorry scout, cannibalism is illegal and we don't discuss illegal activities on APS.

Cannibalism is the nonconsensual consumption of another human's body matter. In the United States, there are no laws against cannibalism per se, but the act of cannibalism would probably violate laws against murder and against desecration of corpses.

http://www.law.cornell.edu/wex/cannibalism

Nope, looks like it is OK. Bon Appetit.

;)    =D

bob

Azrael256

• friend
« Reply #31 on: February 16, 2014, 05:36:56 PM »
Wow. That one went off the rails on a real hurry.

Weirdos.

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #32 on: February 16, 2014, 05:49:23 PM »
former exec chef at the university of mary washington here
privileged college kids whining?  say it ain't so!!!  funny thing is to see their fellow students reaction when those students are working in the kitchen.
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #33 on: February 16, 2014, 06:57:40 PM »
Remember KP duty during Basic Training.  No Drill Sergeants around and got to eat pretty much what we wanted between meals. =D
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

Scout26

• friend
« Reply #34 on: February 16, 2014, 07:33:49 PM »
Azrael256,

Could you sign this form right here? 

What?  Oh, it's nothing. 

Simply standard procedure, you know, government regs and all.  No need to read it.  All just lawyerly mumbo-jumbo and boilerplate.  Just need to make sure we have all the I's crossed and the T's dotted. 

=D =D =D =D

Remember KP duty during Basic Training.  No Drill Sergeants around and got to eat pretty much what we wanted between meals. =D

Gorged ourselves from long before sun-up to sell after sun-down.  There was even Hostess products that the mess hall ladies let us bust into.   You could see the look of pity in their eyes.  We went back to the barracks that night tired, sore, and wet; but stuffed to the gills and on a sugar buzz.  Sadly, I only had it once in Basic.  Wasn't near as much fun in AIT.

Hold fast by the river.
for the motherland.

dm1333

• friend
« Reply #35 on: February 16, 2014, 08:17:39 PM »

Service week at basic training at Great Lakes RTC in 1984!  I gorged myself for a week straight.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #36 on: February 16, 2014, 08:19:53 PM »
Gorged ourselves from long before sun-up to sell after sun-down.  There was even Hostess products that the mess hall ladies let us bust into.   You could see the look of pity in their eyes.  We went back to the barracks that night tired, sore, and wet; but stuffed to the gills and on a sugar buzz.  Sadly, I only had it once in Basic.  Wasn't near as much fun in AIT.

Modern day wimps.

KP when I was in the Army was very assuredly NOT fun, and we did NOT get to stuff our faces with anything ... let alone Twinkies.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #37 on: February 16, 2014, 08:21:43 PM »

Service week at basic training at Great Lakes RTC in 1984!  I gorged myself for a week straight.

Modern day wimps.

KP when I was in the Army was very assuredly NOT fun, and we did NOT get to stuff our faces with anything ... let alone Twinkies.

One day of KP and went through Ft Dix in 88-89.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #38 on: February 16, 2014, 08:32:18 PM »
I personally miss the C rations I used to have access to back in the day. Can opener, five pack of smokes, coffee, waterproof matches...and that chocolate was gooood
[that dates me...]

I will not only give my first born child and only former daughter (one and the same; would not be a loss to me) but offer services that might cause a few eyebrows to be raised even amongst APS to get my hands on a stash (defined as a dozen or more) Hershey's Tropical Chocolate Bars.  Or money, if that's the way you roll.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

dm1333

• friend
« Reply #39 on: February 16, 2014, 08:36:58 PM »
One day of KP and went through Ft Dix in 88-89.

One day?  I f'ing scrubbed pots and pans in boiling hot water for a week!  The only excitement that week was the dude who ran through the galley and hopped the fence out back.  The Company Commanders were in hot pursuit the whole way.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #40 on: February 16, 2014, 11:50:09 PM »
I will not only give my first born child and only former daughter (one and the same; would not be a loss to me) but offer services that might cause a few eyebrows to be raised even amongst APS to get my hands on a stash (defined as a dozen or more) Hershey's Tropical Chocolate Bars.  Or money, if that's the way you roll.

stay safe.

They haven been made in 22 years. How about the recipe instead in exchange for daughter?

http://www.whenshtf.com/threads/17110-Hershey-Tropical-Chocolate-Bars
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Strings

• APS Pimp
  • friend
« Reply #41 on: February 17, 2014, 04:18:38 AM »
>Service week at basic training at Great Lakes RTC in 1984!  I gorged myself for a week straight. <

Pretty much the same here, in '91

I've actually had people at work look at me funny when I pull out a sub sammich I threw together the night before, wondering how I could eat that. Nevermind that my very filling lunch cots 1/10 of their fast "food"
No Child Should Live In Fear

What was that about a pearl handled revolver and someone from New Orleans again?

Screw it: just autoclave the planet (thanks Birdman)

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #42 on: February 17, 2014, 04:45:51 AM »
They haven been made in 22 years. How about the recipe instead in exchange for daughter?

http://www.whenshtf.com/threads/17110-Hershey-Tropical-Chocolate-Bars

She's on a Greyhound to you.  Might be a little groggy till the drugs wear off but I'm sure you can use a catch pole to control her till you can get some more on board.  Diet is quite simple - hearts and souls.  Literally..  Might want to keep sharp objects away.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #43 on: February 17, 2014, 10:35:15 AM »
And I happen to know that Raman is still well under $1 per packet (and cheaper if you get store brands or generics, which is somewhat amazing in of itself)

Used to be 12/$1.  Last time I bought some I think the price had gone up to 8/$1.

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #44 on: February 17, 2014, 11:40:22 AM »
When I was in school it was 20/$1, but you could get gas for $0.85 a gallon and beer was $12 a case (unless you bought Milwaukee's Best, which was $8).

Brad
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #45 on: February 17, 2014, 01:07:57 PM »
Do any of these students work? 10 hours a week on campus at $8 an hour will more than cover groceries.

Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

æg151337

• Gamera Public Relations Slave
« Reply #46 on: February 17, 2014, 01:13:49 PM »
If they can't they deserve to die then, survival of the smartest.

There is a reason they have the term "sailor proof" or whatever branch being implied. MRE's I'm sure are up there in simplicity. Common speech instructions. "place on rock or something" is what i read for the ones with the water activated heater. If a college student can't get that.... well maybe the whole darn human race is doomed. I know at least in highschool my teachers preached the importance of following instructions. I learned my lesson after the essay question i answered before i read the first line on the paper.
Gamera! Gamera!
Gamera is really neat!
Gamera is filled with meat!
We've been eating GA-MER-AAAA!!!!!

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #47 on: February 17, 2014, 02:49:40 PM »
There is a reason they have the term "sailor proof" or whatever branch being implied. MRE's I'm sure are up there in simplicity. Common speech instructions. "place on rock or something" is what i read for the ones with the water activated heater. If a college student can't get that.... well maybe the whole darn human race is doomed. I know at least in highschool my teachers preached the importance of following instructions. I learned my lesson after the essay question i answered before i read the first line on the paper.

Two points:

You're assuming these college kids can read. Which isn't exactly an unreasonable assumption, until you find out how many of them CAN'T read.

There is dumb and then there is genius dumb. Dumb can usually follow simple instructions and often has a certain degree of common sense. They may not be able to do advanced maths or give an articulate and insightful anyalis of Shakespeare's sonnets, but they usually manage to feed themselves.
Genius dumb can calculate a rockets trajectory around the sun, but when it comes to simple stuff like "set this on a rock" it becomes an impossible task. Why? Because they want to know which rock, how big a rock. They have to find the heat conductive rock rather then just any ol' rock. Genius dumb has the inability to opperate without being a GENIUS. Which means, ultimately, they will find the perfect rock, however, they'll starve to death before they manage to make it to step two.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

cambeul41

• friend
« Reply #48 on: February 17, 2014, 03:46:53 PM »
Ramen? When I was in college, I had never heard of the instant stuff, but I totally lucked out. 

A Chinese student was dropping out of school and asked if I wanted to replace him at his boarding house. The lady who ran it agreed  to let me, a white guy, try – even though of the 38 guys who ate there, I was the only non-Asian. For two years, 11 meals per week I had "mixed Asian" food (Chinese, Japanese, Korean) as was her whim. Great food, balanced diet, for less than I could have prepared it for myself. That only ended when I got married – to a Chinese Muslim from Thailand.

?It is usually futile to try to talk facts and analysis to people who are enjoying a sense of moral superiority in their ignorance.?
?Thomas Sowell

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #49 on: February 17, 2014, 04:43:20 PM »
That only ended when I got married – to a Chinese Muslim from Thailand.

There's a joke in there somewhere, I just know it...

Brad
-HankB