Author Topic: College Students Have Food Insecurity  (Read 18275 times)

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
Re: College Students Have Food Insecurity
« Reply #50 on: February 17, 2014, 05:57:14 PM »
Hmmmm, poo eating fish or giant water spiders?

Pass.

Moses was pretty much spot on when he wrote Leviticus.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #51 on: February 17, 2014, 07:27:56 PM »
Hmmmm, poo eating fish or giant water spiders?

Pass.

I believe you are in the wrong thread.
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #52 on: February 17, 2014, 07:34:57 PM »

It is called thread drift.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #53 on: February 18, 2014, 10:44:39 AM »

Good, because the recipes in Exodus taste like crap.

Ned Hamford

• friend
« Reply #54 on: February 18, 2014, 01:10:44 PM »
I am always amazed at the lack of self awareness that comes from the 'highly educated.'

Your 'Food Insecurity' has been duly recorded in the Book of Tears (First World Edition).
Improbus a nullo flectitur obsequio.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #55 on: February 19, 2014, 03:30:52 PM »
I was able to make an observation on this today. I usually avoid getting my lunch at the University Center here at noon like the plague because of the madhouse. Today however, my boss showed up at my door at my usual 1115 "walk to lunch" time and talked my ear off for 45 minutes. So I got there at madhouse time. There are four "healthy wholesome food" type restaurants, a Subway, a Panda Express, and a Domino's Pizza.

The Panda Express and the Domino's had lines three times as long as the healthy places. Next longest line was the Subway. The healthy food places all had lines at least 75% shorter. I think the only food insecurity college students have is being afraid of getting caught in line at one of the healthy places and being made fun of.  :laugh:
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #56 on: February 19, 2014, 03:35:29 PM »
Why is Subway healthy when half the people I see there get foot long sandwiches with tons of stuff on them.  It always seemed to me they are eating way more calories than a regular meal at a burger place.  Only real difference is no french fries. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #57 on: February 19, 2014, 05:03:10 PM »
Why is Subway healthy when half the people I see there get foot long sandwiches with tons of stuff on them.  It always seemed to me they are eating way more calories than a regular meal at a burger place.  Only real difference is no french fries. 

Their marketing has these people convinced that they are eating healthy when they are not...
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #58 on: February 19, 2014, 05:33:57 PM »

Because stupids belive the advertising hype and fail to understand that Subway has healthy options doesn't make all Subway food healthy.

In all fairness, my Subway routin is probably healthier then other fast foods, though not for lack of calroies, but simply because I'm stuffing myself on stuff that includes some actual veggies for a change and there is not much in the way of artery clogging grease.
I just wish they'd switch out the stupid iceberg lettace, and use green leafy shreds that actually had some nutritional value.

The funny one I see is someone who orders one of the 6 inch "healthy" subs and then doesn't get any veggies other then the lettace and has it overloaded with mayonase. I always feel like wacking them. I cannot not understand the disconnect of eating healthy food that is already bland and tasteless, and then putting unhealthy crap on it that just makes it MORE bland and tasteless.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #59 on: February 19, 2014, 08:35:13 PM »

I'll post where I wanna post and you just have to figure it out.  [/Grandpa Simpson voice]
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #60 on: February 19, 2014, 09:57:17 PM »
Do any of these students work? 10 hours a week on campus at $8 an hour will more than cover groceries.

Their line of thinking is that any money they make is to be used for partying and fun *expletive deleted*it, not such pedestrian purchases such as groceries, tuition, supplies, or whatever. That's what loans/scholarships/MommyandDaddy are for!

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #61 on: February 20, 2014, 02:50:17 AM »
They haven been made in 22 years. How about the recipe instead in exchange for daughter?

http://www.whenshtf.com/threads/17110-Hershey-Tropical-Chocolate-Bars

Yuuch!

Paraffin in chocolate?
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #62 on: February 20, 2014, 02:58:34 AM »
Genius dumb can calculate a rockets trajectory around the sun, but when it comes to simple stuff like "set this on a rock" it becomes an impossible task. Why? Because they want to know which rock, how big a rock. They have to find the heat conductive rock rather then just any ol' rock. Genius dumb has the inability to opperate without being a GENIUS. Which means, ultimately, they will find the perfect rock, however, they'll starve to death before they manage to make it to step two.

Too many of the up-coming generation simply can't think.

This evening my 19-year old, college-bound daughter asked me for a ruler. Told her there were several in the drawer in the kitchen, by the telephone. She came back with an old-style, 12-inch wooden grammar school ruler ... and asked me if the markings were in inches or centimeters.

I guess she wanted centimeters, because she put that one back and came out with one that has inches on one edge and millimeters on the other. She looked at it cross-eyed for a minute, and then asked me what "MM" stands for. Mind you, this is a kid who grew up outside of the U.S., in a place where metric is spoken and feet and inches are unknown. I had to explain -- slowly and painfully -- that "MM" is "millimeters," and that 10 millimeters equal one centimeter. I'm still not sure she got it.

This is a kid who maxed the math portion of the college entrance exams.

Sheesh!
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #63 on: February 20, 2014, 05:53:41 AM »
Yuuch!

Paraffin in chocolate?

Just how did you think they got that "tropical" chocolate to not melt in tropical climates?

It also gave a certain "mouth feel" - reminicent of the paraffin tubes with colored sugar-water inside. http://www.oldtimecandy.com/nik-l-nips.htm

But you are too young to remember tropical chocolate or Nik-L-Nips (we called them wax Coke bottles regardless of what shape or color they were).  And you could stuff either of them in your pocket in the middle of the summer and pull them out after a full day of running around (the playground or the battlefield/jungle) and the worst they would be was a bit "bendy".

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #64 on: February 20, 2014, 06:00:40 AM »
Too many of the up-coming generation simply can't think.

This evening my 19-year old, college-bound daughter asked me for a ruler. Told her there were several in the drawer in the kitchen, by the telephone. She came back with an old-style, 12-inch wooden grammar school ruler ... and asked me if the markings were in inches or centimeters.

I guess she wanted centimeters, because she put that one back and came out with one that has inches on one edge and millimeters on the other. She looked at it cross-eyed for a minute, and then asked me what "MM" stands for. Mind you, this is a kid who grew up outside of the U.S., in a place where metric is spoken and feet and inches are unknown. I had to explain -- slowly and painfully -- that "MM" is "millimeters," and that 10 millimeters equal one centimeter. I'm still not sure she got it.

This is a kid who maxed the math portion of the college entrance exams.

Sheesh!

Sometimes it is better to just pretend they suddenly appeared at your doorstep and you simply have not been able to get rid of them.  Doing so saves on the wear and tear of shovels or pickaxe handles or whatever else you would use to introduce some "common sense" into their cranial cavity.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.