Author Topic: Another 4X4 Bites the Dust  (Read 3086 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Another 4X4 Bites the Dust
« on: April 12, 2017, 10:30:12 AM »
I got excited when I just heard that Toyota decided to reintroduce the FJ Cruiser. While the window configuration was a little constricting for me, I found the platform to be very solid, especially for off-pavement when I was waffling between buying it or my 4Runner back in 2014.

I looked up what they are looking at "reintroducing". It's  “a modern 4x4 toolbox for the most intrepid urbanites.”  Yuck.

http://www.latimes.com/business/autos/la-fi-hy-new-york-auto-show-toyota-20170412-story.html

"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Re: Another 4X4 Bites the Dust
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2017, 10:56:35 AM »
I didn't think it would be possible for anyone to bring out something uglier than either the Kia Soul or the Nissan Cube.

But, by damn, Toyota did it!
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2017, 11:09:38 AM »
I didn't think it would be possible for anyone to bring out something uglier than either the Kia Soul or the Nissan Cube.

While I will admit they came up with some interesting ideas in the cargo area with the slider over the storage compartment, the cargo area is still less than that of my 4Runner. Between an "SUV" like that and Subarus, I'll drive the "car" over this thing every day of the week. Or just take a quad cab 4x4 truck. I'm betting the Subaru will handle just as much offroad stuff as this thing, given they lowered it to car ground clearance heights.  I bet your Subaru has more ground clearance. I'll also wager this will be ridiculously expensive.

Some more photos, including a picture of someone in their target market:

http://www.carscoops.com/2017/04/toyota-ft-4x-concept-revealed-as.html
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2017, 11:12:14 AM »
Wish they would bring back the Land Cruiser in the style of the 60's and 70's to compete against the Jeep Wrangler.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2017, 11:34:33 AM »
Wish they would bring back the Land Cruiser in the style of the 60's and 70's to compete against the Jeep Wrangler.

The current Land Cruisers are actually very offroad capable, but JHC on a pogo stick, are they ever expensive. Much too rich for my blood. If I was gonna spend that kind of dough, I'd probably opt for a Raptor. But I can't ever see myself spending that kind of dough.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2017, 12:19:43 PM »

Pontiac Aztec
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2017, 12:25:31 PM »

Pontiac Aztec

That was on, and OFF, the market long before either the Soul or the Cube first hit, I think.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2017, 01:00:50 PM »
That new 'yota looks somewhat similar to the new "Jeep" that Fiat introduced a year or two ago. I guess mini-box utes are the form factor of choice these days.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2017, 01:23:40 PM »
That was on, and OFF, the market long before either the Soul or the Cube first hit, I think.

And uglier than either. It lived on as a Buick, but with a significant face-lift.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2017, 04:58:31 PM »
Ford is supposed to be bringing back the Bronco... I might be interested in one of those...
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2017, 05:11:23 PM »
Ford is supposed to be bringing back the Bronco... I might be interested in one of those...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HcyyCi2b2AY

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2017, 05:50:17 PM »
Looks like those newer jeep models. I'd rub or break off any of those lower hang your downers.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2017, 06:09:44 PM »
I'd rub or break off any of those lower hang your downers.

I'm not touching (or rubbing) that one.

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2017, 06:10:49 PM »
"End of quote.  Repeat the line."
  - Joe 'Ron Burgundy' Biden

Declaration Day

• friends
« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2017, 07:05:27 PM »
A couple of you beat me to it:  It's derivative of the current FCA Jeep Renegade, albeit a bit boxier.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2017, 08:06:27 PM »
I got excited when I just heard that Toyota decided to reintroduce the FJ Cruiser. While the window configuration was a little constricting for me, I found the platform to be very solid, especially for off-pavement when I was waffling between buying it or my 4Runner back in 2014.

I looked up what they are looking at "reintroducing". It's  “a modern 4x4 toolbox for the most intrepid urbanites.”  Yuck.

http://www.latimes.com/business/autos/la-fi-hy-new-york-auto-show-toyota-20170412-story.html

When Transformer toys and Tonka trucks are allowed to breed indiscriminately.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Calumus

• friend
« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2017, 08:41:12 PM »
Jeez, that thing looks like it'll be about as effective a method of birth control as wearing Crocs in public...

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2017, 09:43:29 PM »
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

p12

• friend
  • I SEE NOISES!!
« Reply #18 on: April 12, 2017, 11:15:57 PM »
When I saw the pic of the Toyota I fully expected to see some rapping rats to get out of it.

Fugly as hell!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #19 on: April 13, 2017, 07:18:03 AM »
Pontiac Aztek was apparently a very capable vehicle.

It was just too ugly for words.