Author Topic: More MS update follies  (Read 619 times)

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
More MS update follies
« on: January 17, 2024, 11:46:42 AM »
If you're running windows 10 you may have noticed update KB5034441 which may show it failed to install.
Turns out many people either don't have a recovery partition or one that is too small for the update to install properly. Well MS is telling people to manually mod their partitions to fix the problem. Trouble is most people should be kept far away from messing with their partitions and there's a good chance many will mess it up which will then require a complete HDD wipe and fresh OS install to fix for many.
Update was to fix sec issues in bitlocker so unless you're using bitlocker best advice is to wait and let MS fix it on their end. But if you want to mess around with your partitions and feel comfortable doing so go right ahead.

Here's a short video explaining the problem and what you should do.

Microsoft's January 2024 Patch Tuesday, a security update (KB5034441) causes 0x80070643 ERROR_INSTALL_FAILURE. The worst part is Microsoft want you to fix it yourself by repartitioning your hard drive by 250mb to fix the windows update.
Windows 10 Update Breaks Your PC
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ArhwRe2jb8

Smooth move ex-lax
« Last Edit: January 17, 2024, 12:41:12 PM by WLJ »
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

HankB

• friend
Re: More MS update follies
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2024, 12:36:01 PM »
Checked my update history - sure enough, it "failed to install."

I think I'll leave well enough alone and NOT mess with my partitions.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2024, 12:42:10 PM »
I've only got one W10 install and it's in a Virtual Machine on the main PC which runs W11 and even it shows the error.
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2024, 12:45:16 PM »
Hmmm, just checked mine and KB5001716 has been failing to install for 2 months.  '4441 is not in the list

"Failed to install on ‎1/‎16/‎2024 - 0x80070643"
"It's good, though..."

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2024, 10:27:39 PM »
Our absolutely shitty IT department took it upon themselves to update my perfectly functioning Windows 10 to Windows 11 the day before my class this week.

I don’t even know where Microsoft finds designers that *expletive deleted*ing stupid. What a horrible OS.

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2024, 09:53:49 AM »
Our absolutely shitty IT department took it upon themselves to update my perfectly functioning Windows 10 to Windows 11 the day before my class this week.

I don’t even know where Microsoft finds designers that *expletive deleted*ing stupid. What a horrible OS.

Left-justify the task bar, toggle on the SHOW START BUTTON setting, set system tray icons to SHOW ALL, and remember the magical SHIFT-RightClick method for bringing up traditional popup menus. After that, it's mostly like Windows 10 in general use.

Oh, also pray (a lot) that your IT dept didn't install BitLocker. On my machine, simply installing a Windows update triggers it. When I first got the machine it was so common I presumed first of every Wednesday morning would include an extra coffee break while I waited on the recovery key. Not having it pop was a rare exception. It's been better the last two months, but still crops up occasionally.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2024, 09:59:48 AM »
Do you not have the bitlocker password for your computer?

DOD mandates Bitlocker for all our computers, but I've never needed to wait for a recovery key.  Just type the password in and go.

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2024, 10:08:43 AM »
Do you not have the bitlocker password for your computer?

DOD mandates Bitlocker for all our computers, but I've never needed to wait for a recovery key.  Just type the password in and go.

Nope. Only the mighty IT Gods are allowed such Awesome Cosmic Power. Us lowly employees can only be trusted to enter a request ticket and wait.

Brad
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2024, 10:11:05 AM »
Left-justify the task bar, toggle on the SHOW START BUTTON setting, set system tray icons to SHOW ALL, and remember the magical SHIFT-RightClick method for bringing up traditional popup menus. After that, it's mostly like Windows 10 in general use.

Brad

I absolutely hate that centered start button, should be on the left by default IMHO.

But yeah once you change a few things like the start button position it's mostly like 10 except for the look of the start menu.
One kind of annoying thing in 11 is that cut/copy/paste/delete etc.. require an extra mouse click if not using the KB short cuts. I think they did that to maybe help avoid accidental deletes and whatnot but still kind of annoying.

One thing I will say though is that 11 has been completely totally stable for me even on older machines (old CPU and no or older TPM) it's not, according to MS, suppose to be installed on and in fact runs a little bit smoother than 10 even on those older PCs. I have to hand it to MS for that.

Edit: Another annoying thing. Trying to force (there are ways around it) people to log into a MS account.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2024, 11:41:31 AM by WLJ »
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2024, 10:21:29 AM »
Just tried running update on my W10 VM and it still is trying to install KB5034441 and still failing.
I would have thought they would have pulled that update until they get the install issues sorted out but nope. Sigh.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2024, 10:53:22 AM by WLJ »
- Calvin and Hobbes

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2024, 11:26:34 AM »
Nope. Only the mighty IT Gods are allowed such Awesome Cosmic Power. Us lowly employees can only be trusted to enter a request ticket and wait.

Brad

That is.....extra retarded.   And I say that as someone subject to fed.gov IT rules.

Your bitlocker must not be set lock the hard drive when you restart/shutdown then.  Ours is, and I can only imagine needing a recovery key every time I needed to restart my computer.  On the other hand if the Bitlocker doesn't lock the drive when you turn it off, that begs the question....what's the point?

In any case, you have my sympathy, that's a truly retarded IT policy.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2024, 11:37:32 AM »

When I was still working, our corporate IT department's motto was "If your computer isn't broken, we'll fix it until it is."
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Boomhauer

• friends
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2024, 06:54:28 AM »

Brad

Yeah they have us locked down as well. We have to submit a ticket so they can ignore ir, then two or three submissions later they finally respond and claim to have fixed it. Or gaslight you and tell you it “works fine”

One fine year the idiots installed new routers at all the shops and forgot to put antennas on the one in my portion of the shop. We were all wondering why we couldn’t maintain stay on the WiFi for more than a minute or two (it was barely getting the front office WiFi). Finally got up on a lift and inspected the router, found it had no antennas so I requested some. The *expletive deleted*tard IT moron made me jump through endless hoops of checking signal strength instead of just sending me the antennas. When I finally pried them out of the *expletive deleted*er of course it worked immediately.

Then two years later when it dropped offline I had to go through the same *expletive deleted*it this time with them insisting that it was on the service provider’s side so it “wasn’t their responsibility”

BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

fifth_column

• friend
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2024, 02:31:09 PM »

Brad

Speaking as a past IT/helpdesk/desktop support person I think it's vital to lock down Windows. The vast majority of users will screw things up quickly and irreparably. With that said, I had quite a few people for whom I would grant admin rights on their PCs anytime they asked because they knew what they were doing and wouldn't do anything disastrous. Locking down Windows on an enterprise level is a no-brainer.
Power concedes nothing without a demand. It never did and it never will... The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress. ― Frederick Douglass

No American citizen should be willing to accept a government that uses its power against its own people.  -  Catherine Engelbrecht

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2024, 03:32:06 PM »
Speaking as a past IT/helpdesk/desktop support person I think it's vital to lock down Windows. The vast majority of users will screw things up quickly and irreparably. With that said, I had quite a few people for whom I would grant admin rights on their PCs anytime they asked because they knew what they were doing and wouldn't do anything disastrous. Locking down Windows on an enterprise level is a no-brainer.

I have enough experience and pull to have general admin rights on my desktop and the conference room machines. BitLocker is excluded.

Fortunately, whatever it was about Windows Updates that BitLocker didn't like seems to have mostly resolved. I've only had it happen a couple times in the last month. When I first got the machine, every update - no matter how minor - triggered it.

Here's the weirdest thing. My and my bosses' machines are identical, ordered at the same time. They're identical spec Dells with sequential serial numbers so presumtively using parts from the same bins. Even the same initial system image. He's had BitLocker get him maybe three or four times total while mine was triggering with every sneeze.

Brad
« Last Edit: January 19, 2024, 03:46:15 PM by Brad Johnson »
-HankB

Boomhauer

• friends
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2024, 08:53:13 PM »
I have enough experience and pull to have general admin rights on my desktop and the conference room machines. BitLocker is excluded.

Fortunately, whatever it was about Windows Updates that BitLocker didn't like seems to have mostly resolved. I've only had it happen a couple times in the last month. When I first got the machine, every update - no matter how minor - triggered it.

Here's the weirdest thing. My and my bosses' machines are identical, ordered at the same time. They're identical spec Dells with sequential serial numbers so presumtively using parts from the same bins. Even the same initial system image. He's had BitLocker get him maybe three or four times total while mine was triggering with every sneeze.

Brad

Dell’s quality has gone to *expletive deleted*it. They used to be quite good, now they suck. The ones I had in the past issued to me were great even as they aged.

We purchased a bunch of the rugged Dell laptops (think same level as Panasonic Toughbooks). Absolute garbage, the USBs on most don’t work. My new Latitude crapped the screen out three days after I got it and the mousepads on the Latitudes are universally unusable. I have to carry a wireless mouse everywhere with me now. It's so bad my boss left his mouse at his desk accidentally and before a 1 hour meeting at a remote location at one of our other stores had to find a Walmart and get a new one.

fifth_column

• friend
« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2024, 10:14:57 AM »

Brad

When I was with Abbvie we used Dell laptops with Bitlocker. I had a few laptops that triggered bitlocker on updates, one in particular had bitlocker issues regularly and at seemingly random intervals. Reimaging didn't do the trick. Eventually I found a fix that involved booting to a USB drive, disabling then reenabling bitlocker and TPM, and I seem to recall some command line stuff as well. I no longer recall the exact commands or sequences, but I recall it resolving the issue on multiple machines. I quit that job a few years back and apparently didn't keep any of my documentation from that time. Wish I had, it might have helped your situation.
Power concedes nothing without a demand. It never did and it never will... The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress. ― Frederick Douglass

No American citizen should be willing to accept a government that uses its power against its own people.  -  Catherine Engelbrecht

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2024, 08:24:19 PM »
Dell’s quality has gone to *expletive deleted*it. They used to be quite good, now they suck. The ones I had in the past issued to me were great even as they aged.

Started off buying the Spotted Cow computers for our department. Left there and I switched to Dell until their Finance department REALLY pissed me off. Been an HP family ever since.
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #18 on: February 02, 2024, 09:05:18 AM »
And now this although I suspect the problem may be an older one rearing it's head up again

According to a Microsoft Community thread: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/w... there are incompatibility issues with Calendar, Calculator, Paint 3D, Movies & TV and Photo apps on older hardware, specifically Intel Core 2 Duo and Intel Core 2 Quad processors.

Problem may not be limited to those CPUs though as he does mention some AMD CPUs may be having the issue as well.

Windows 10 System Apps are Breaking on Old PCs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ASpmYQCR3LA
- Calvin and Hobbes

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #19 on: February 02, 2024, 12:29:44 PM »
Makes me glad I've migrated several old XP "apps" to my Windows 10 machines.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #20 on: May 02, 2024, 09:42:00 AM »
Update on the KB5034441 fiasco
According to this guy MS threw in the towel in trying to come up with an auto fix and people will have to manually change their partitions sizes. SMDH.

Microsoft Confirms it will NOT Fix KB5034441 Error 0x80070643 on Windows 10
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VrSD5Bbm6Bk
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #21 on: May 02, 2024, 09:45:10 AM »
When I was still working, our corporate IT department's motto was "If your computer isn't broken, we'll fix it until it is."

Sounds like the government.
- Calvin and Hobbes

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #22 on: May 02, 2024, 08:47:05 PM »

"If it ain't broke -- fix it 'til it is."
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design