Author Topic: Pre-paid cell phones minutes that last forever?  (Read 11985 times)

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
Pre-paid cell phones minutes that last forever?
« on: December 27, 2010, 06:17:37 PM »
When we moved down here last spring, we got my wife an inexpensive cell phone just for emergencies. She never uses it, and we just buy minutes, although she never uses them.

We're now at the point where we're paying $25 for three months. I think there's 100 minutes in that package, or somewhere around there.

Anyway, when the three months are up, we have to pay $25 again, even if she didn't use any minutes.

Isn't there a package where you buy X number of minutes and they're yours until they're used up?

Antibubba

• friend
Re: Pre-paid cell phones minutes that last forever?
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2010, 07:01:20 PM »
Not anywhere. 
If life gives you melons, you may be dyslexic.

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2010, 07:36:29 PM »
When we moved down here last spring, we got my wife an inexpensive cell phone just for emergencies. She never uses it, and we just buy minutes, although she never uses them.

We're now at the point where we're paying $25 for three months. I think there's 100 minutes in that package, or somewhere around there.

Anyway, when the three months are up, we have to pay $25 again, even if she didn't use any minutes.

Isn't there a package where you buy X number of minutes and they're yours until they're used up?

Net 10 almost does what you want.  Unused minutes accumulate, but you must keep buying a bit to keep it active.  If I ever need a cell and don't have one provided by work, I'd probably go that way.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2010, 07:41:18 PM »
Virgin Mobile has a plan that's close. 

$20 every 3 months buys minutes that just keep accumulating.  If you sign up for automatic top-up with a credit card, the minimum drops to $15 for 3 months.  And the last couple of times I've topped up mine they extended for a full year instead of just 3 months.
"It's good, though..."

Azrael256

• friend
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2010, 07:50:24 PM »
Define "emergency."

All cellphones can call 911.

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2010, 11:23:14 PM »
Emergency wouldn't just be police, ambulance or fire. It could be a two truck, a call to me for something urgent, etc.

Thanks for the tips. Right now those minutes just get flushed with nothing to show.

Gowen

• Metal smith
  • friend
    • Gemoriah.com
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2010, 12:32:56 AM »
I am with T Mobile prepaid, after you buy $100 worth of minutes, you only need to spend $10 every year to re-up and you keep all the minutes.  They run a special every so often where you by a prepaid phone and get a $25 card for free.  I buy the phone, sell my old phone and the sim card on ebay separately.  The sim card sells for $5-$6, the old phone for $25-$30, and I get to keep the $25 card with a new phone for virtually nothing.

http://www.t-mobile.com/shop/phones/prepaid.aspx?WT.mc_n=SeePrepaidPhones&WT.mc_t=OnsiteAd

They have the prepaid phones with the $25 card for free on sale right now.
"That's my hat, I'm the leader!" Napoleon the Bloodhound

Gemoriah.com

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2010, 08:28:24 AM »
Virgin has eliminated most of their simple phones and replaced them with "smart" phones
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

go_bang

« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2010, 01:21:54 PM »
I am with T Mobile prepaid, after you buy $100 worth of minutes, you only need to spend $10 every year to re-up and you keep all the minutes.  They run a special every so often where you by a prepaid phone and get a $25 card for free.  I buy the phone, sell my old phone and the sim card on ebay separately.  The sim card sells for $5-$6, the old phone for $25-$30, and I get to keep the $25 card with a new phone for virtually nothing.

http://www.t-mobile.com/shop/phones/prepaid.aspx?WT.mc_n=SeePrepaidPhones&WT.mc_t=OnsiteAd

They have the prepaid phones with the $25 card for free on sale right now.

+1 on the T-Mobile recommendation.  My wife has had a prepaid phone with them for several years now and we've been quite happy with it.  Also, once you spend the first $100 you get 15% more minutes for each refill after in addition to the minutes being good for a year.  Their rates for text messages are very good too.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2010, 01:44:06 PM »
$25/3 months.  Hmm.  I have an unlimited data & voice plan with sprint and it costs me an extra $10/mo for my wife's extra phone.  $30/3mo with usable minutes/data.

Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Antibubba

• friend
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2010, 09:09:25 PM »
I didn't find a smartphone or even a web-capable model at T-Mobile Prepaid that would make me want to switch.  I do like the Rumor Touch at Virgin Mobile.  Anyone here able to provide feedback on it?

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2010, 11:16:56 PM »
$25/3 months.  Hmm.  I have an unlimited data & voice plan with sprint and it costs me an extra $10/mo for my wife's extra phone.  $30/3mo with usable minutes/data.

I have unlimited voice and data with Sprint, too. Never looked into an extra phone, but I will now.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2010, 07:25:48 AM »
I just recently bought the Virgin Mobile Samsung Intercept on sale at Best Buy for $ 189.  In ten days, when my AT&T contract expires, I will port over my current cell number and activate it.  It is an Android phone running 2.1, soon to be upgraded to 2.2, and I can have my work Exchange email pushed to the phone. I am already doing that via WiFi.  I will be using the $ 25/month plan for 300 cell minutes and unlimited IM, text, email and web.  

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

sanglant

• friend
« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2010, 09:23:02 AM »
not ever lasting minutes, but as close as i've found. tracfone has a setup where they bill you ~6 bucks if your service days runs out. it's what i've been using lately, i have over 700 minutes bought up, and don't really like talking on the phone though. =)

that would be around 72 bucks a year, if you never buy a card. oh and your phone has to be on at the end of the month for them to bill you, and add the 30days.

and didn't one prepaid cell phone deal, charge you a service fee for each day you used it. and your credit was left if you didn't use it?

edit: if that was version, it still has a time limit. =|
« Last Edit: December 29, 2010, 09:27:35 AM by sanglant »

Antibubba

• friend
« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2010, 07:07:27 PM »
I have unlimited voice and data with Sprint, too. Never looked into an extra phone, but I will now. 

Virgin Mobile is owned by Sprint.  Talk to them--I think Virgin calls to Sprint are mobile-to-mobile, but I'm not certain.  But you might find a family plan cheaper.

I just recently bought the Virgin Mobile Samsung Intercept on sale at Best Buy for $ 189.  In ten days, when my AT&T contract expires, I will port over my current cell number and activate it.

You might not be able to port, since it's a pre-paid service.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #15 on: December 29, 2010, 08:51:25 PM »

You should be able to add a phone for 10 +/- a month with pretty much all the carriers.  And most carriers have a bare bones old school phone you can purchase for fifty bucks or so. 

JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #16 on: December 30, 2010, 09:00:07 AM »
Virgin Mobile is owned by Sprint.

You might not be able to port, since it's a pre-paid service.

You can.  It says so in the FAQ on their website.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

go_bang

« Reply #17 on: December 30, 2010, 11:23:31 AM »
Free mobile-to-mobile for prepaid plans is typically only offered on plans that bill your credit card each month or for a daily access charge with the phone is used.  It's not an option on the bucket-o-minutes prepaid plans.

MrGreenmachine

« Reply #18 on: January 01, 2011, 01:36:16 PM »
You can port pre-paid numbers.  You just usually need some more information from the provider, usually it's an account number that they have tied to your pre-paid phone number.  I've done this twice with pre-paids and had to actually go to a company store to have it done and not in a kiosk or independent retailer.  First was from virgin mobile to att and then att to uscellular.   Both virgin and att were prepaids.

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #19 on: January 01, 2011, 04:28:15 PM »
Define "emergency."

All cellphones can call 911.

911 isn't appropriate when your spare tire is flat on a backroad at 3AM.

Also, 911 generally can't call a disconnected phone back, which can result in a lot of lost time while they wait for you to get tired of waiting for the first responders and call them back to clarify whether you meant 8 miles north of town A on south BFE road or 8 mies south of town B on north BFE highway.

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #20 on: July 10, 2015, 07:48:01 AM »
I'm not saying that just because the newbie provides a link to an Arabic pre-paid card that he is spamming us.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #21 on: July 10, 2015, 07:57:42 AM »
I'm not saying that just because the newbie provides a link to an Arabic pre-paid card that he is spamming us.

stay safe.

Resurrectamos!

You may not be saying it, but I am saying it. SPAM from a SPAMMER.

Seen this *expletive deleted*it a couple of places the last few days.

I'd tell him to eat a phone card of dicks, but it's Ramadamadingdong, and they're not eating anything right now...
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #22 on: July 10, 2015, 10:33:09 AM »
Die spammer die.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”