Author Topic: The Latest High School Shooting...And It's Not Bad News  (Read 2432 times)

LadySmith

• friends
  • Veni, Vidi, Jactavi Calceos
The Latest High School Shooting...And It's Not Bad News
« on: July 09, 2015, 07:12:55 AM »
An article on high school shooting that's pretty neat. It kind of surprised me.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2015-07-09/making-guns-cool-high-schools-embrace-shooting-as-hot-new-sport

“This is the best thing to happen to the shooting sports in 50 years,” said Dennis Knudson, a 74-year-old lifelong trap shooter, after watching his grandson compete. “It’s so fun to see the youngsters stepping up. It will preserve the sport, and they’ll do it for the rest of their lives.”

Rogue AI searching for amusement and/or Ellie Mae imitator searching for critters.
"What doesn't kill me makes me stronger...and it also makes me a cat-lover" - The Viking
According to Ben, I'm an inconvenient anomaly (and proud of it!).

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
  • From the saner side of Las Vegas
Re: The Latest High School Shooting...And It's Not Bad News
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2015, 08:12:19 AM »
Thanks for posting that.  Started my day off right.
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
for a lead role in a cage?
-P.F.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2015, 08:36:58 AM »
There are some HS shooting teams around here as well.  They practice at the IWLA I belong to. 

The IWLA also has a nice air rifle range and supports the local air rifle league, which is mostly younger children and teens.  Gateway drug anyone? :)

Chris

brimic

• friends
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2015, 09:58:38 AM »
An article on high school shooting that's pretty neat. It kind of surprised me.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2015-07-09/making-guns-cool-high-schools-embrace-shooting-as-hot-new-sport

Several schools local to me have trap and archery teams.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2015, 04:08:42 PM »
Schools need basements so they can have a 50-foot .22 range.

Guy I knew when in the service took me to see his high school's team amble over to the local NG Armory so they could run through the Quick-Kill course.  (find links to photos of the Training Text here http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/37578-us-army-quick-kill-manual/ )  From there they were herded to a honking big field where they busted clays.  If somebody had the pine blocks and the time I'll bet some of those kids could have beaten either Toepperwein's record and done it faster.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2015, 05:49:17 PM »
We had a shooting range in the basement at my high school.  The rifle team practiced daily after school.

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2015, 06:20:20 PM »
Great to see (although nothing new):

http://www.reddit.com/r/guns/comments/1lr19c/august_1942_training_in_marksmanship_helps_girls/

Roosevelt High School, Los Angeles, 1942:

""If you elect me, your taxes are going to be raised, not cut."
                         - master strategist Joe Biden

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2015, 06:22:00 PM »
^^^ Why the Japanese didn't invade  ;)
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2015, 06:52:32 PM »
Schools need basements so they can have a 50-foot .22 range.

Guy I knew when in the service took me to see his high school's team amble over to the local NG Armory so they could run through the Quick-Kill course.  (find links to photos of the Training Text here http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/37578-us-army-quick-kill-manual/ )  From there they were herded to a honking big field where they busted clays.  If somebody had the pine blocks and the time I'll bet some of those kids could have beaten either Toepperwein's record and done it faster.

stay safe.

Not at my HS, but UVA had one under the ROTC building. Many found memories on that range.
They shut it down because it was a "fire hazard"   ;/

We 4H kids spent a lot of time harassing the ROTC guys to teach us the rifle drill tricks. :lol:
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2015, 08:59:09 PM »
On another site, someone raised the question of whether gun folk would be willing to vote for an additional tax to support shooting teams/classes at public schools. Much as I hate to feed the beast, I could see the potential for it to do a lot of good. Now if they could just redirect the funding from sports and other stupid cruft, we wouldn't have to raise taxes at all.  =)
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2015, 09:11:42 PM »
Simple solution: private schools.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2015, 09:29:16 PM »
Simple solution: private schools.

I think you mean private schools and vouchers. Or something.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2015, 11:39:32 PM »
On another site, someone raised the question of whether gun folk would be willing to vote for an additional tax to support shooting teams/classes at public schools. Much as I hate to feed the beast, I could see the potential for it to do a lot of good. Now if they could just redirect the funding from sports and other stupid cruft, we wouldn't have to raise taxes at all.  =)

Maybe they could take some money from all the high injury team sports that most folks won't ever play again after high school and college  ;/
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

brimic

• friends
« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2015, 11:45:49 PM »

Here's a novel concept- pay for it youself.

Barack Obama

erictank

• friends
« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2015, 09:04:14 AM »
There are some HS shooting teams around here as well.  They practice at the IWLA I belong to. 

The IWLA also has a nice air rifle range and supports the local air rifle league, which is mostly younger children and teens.  Gateway drug anyone? :)

Chris

Woodson (the school my stepkids both went to) has a rifle club.  I just found out about it this past year, well into the youngest stepkid's senior year.

Viking

• ❤︎ Fuck around & find out ❤︎
  • friend
  • Carnist Bloodmouth
« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2015, 10:53:06 AM »
A year or two after I left high school, I read in the paper that they had found some rifles in the basement. Apparently left over from the late 1800s-early 1900s, when young school boys were expected to also know how to shoot. Funny thing is that the current building my former school resides in is quite new - 1970s or so, so that means that someone probably knew that the rifles were moved from the old building to the new.

“The modern world will not be punished. It is the punishment.” — Nicolás Gómez Dávila

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #16 on: July 10, 2015, 11:12:23 AM »
Here's a novel concept- pay for it youself.

Many of the "lesser" sport teams wind up having to fund a good portion of their sport costs (uniforms, travel, etc) with fundraising because the "important" sport teams get most of the athletic funding.

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

brimic

• friends
« Reply #17 on: July 10, 2015, 11:15:18 AM »
A year or two after I left high school, I read in the paper that they had found some rifles in the basement. Apparently left over from the late 1800s-early 1900s, when young school boys were expected to also know how to shoot. Funny thing is that the current building my former school resides in is quite new - 1970s or so, so that means that someone probably knew that the rifles were moved from the old building to the new.

There was a version of the Swedish Mauser 94 carbine that was produced specifically for shooting gallery loads for school kids to shoot. They are pretty rare, and are worth a lot of money to collectors in the States.

Barack Obama

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #18 on: July 10, 2015, 11:19:24 AM »
Woodson (the school my stepkids both went to) has a rifle club.  I just found out about it this past year, well into the youngest stepkid's senior year.

That is one of the ones I had in mind.

Chris

Viking

• ❤︎ Fuck around & find out ❤︎
  • friend
  • Carnist Bloodmouth
« Reply #19 on: July 10, 2015, 11:21:46 AM »
There was a version of the Swedish Mauser 94 carbine that was produced specifically for shooting gallery loads for school kids to shoot. They are pretty rare, and are worth a lot of money to collectors in the States.
I seem to remember seeing a picture of someone holding one of the rifles, which seemed to be a rolling block type rifle, which were license built here, but I'm not sure. Would make a bit of sense though, at that time they would've been surplus what with the Mauser being introduced. I do remember reading that they were to be auctioned off.
“The modern world will not be punished. It is the punishment.” — Nicolás Gómez Dávila