Author Topic: didn't momma teach her anything?  (Read 3494 times)

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
didn't momma teach her anything?
« on: March 16, 2012, 05:11:36 AM »
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/03/15/anthony-maldonado-date-burglary-arrested_n_1348412.html?ref=miami&icid=maing-grid10%7Chtmlws-main-bb%7Cdl5%7Csec3_lnk2%26pLid%3D143952

Using the alias Florenciano Valentino, Anthony Maldonado, 18, met Kelley Galbraith through social networking site Badoo before talking on the phone and eventually meeting in person, according to the arrest report.

They hung out once at her home, where police believe he spotted the items that would later be stolen.

On February 25, a friend in a black car dropped Maldonado off at Galbraith's home and the pair left for Applebee's. On the way, Maldonado stopped at a gas station to use her iPhone 4S and also borrowed it twice at the restaurant.

Finally, he stepped outside with the phone for a third time and never came back, reportedly leaving Galbraith to cover the bill.

While the two were at dinner, the driver of the black car broke into Galbraith's house, possibly through a window left open by Maldonado when using the bathroom before leaving for the restaurant. The intruder stole $5,000 worth of high-end items from the unsuspecting woman, including an iPad, Apple laptop, and big-screen TV.

:facepalm:

While meeting on social media may no longer be the "clue" it used to be, needing to drive your date who was dropped off by a "buddy" ought to be one.  What?  He could not get his buddy to agree to loan him the car?

Comments from the peanut gallery?

stay safe.

« Last Edit: March 16, 2012, 11:07:31 AM by adively »
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
Re: didn't momma teach her anything?
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2012, 10:05:25 AM »

Eh, this is why I generally don't meet folks from the internet at my place first.  Unless I've known them virtually for a very long time and/or there is a large community of mutual friends that could provide a healthy social stigma if anything untowards happened.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2012, 10:36:57 AM »
Eh, this is why I generally don't meet folks from the internet at my place first.  Unless I've known them virtually for a very long time and/or there is a large community of mutual friends that could provide a healthy social stigma if anything untowards happened.

Dude...  I think that anyone that, you know, actually *knows* anything about you would be monumentally stupid to try anything.  First, they wouldn't ever be able to break in to your place.  Second, assuming they got in, I somehow doubt they'd get out....  Ever.   

:D
Are you a cook, or a RIFLEMAN?  Find out at Appleseed!

http://www.appleseedinfo.org

"For some many people, attempting to process a logical line of thought brings up the blue screen of death." -Blakenzy

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2012, 11:14:23 AM »
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/03/15/anthony-maldonado-date-burglary-arrested_n_1348412.html?ref=miami&icid=maing-grid10%7Chtmlws-main-bb%7Cdl5%7Csec3_lnk2%26pLid%3D143952

While meeting on social media may no longer be the "clue" it used to be, needing to drive your date who was dropped off by a "buddy" ought to be one.  What?  He could not get his buddy to agree to loan him the car?

Comments from the peanut gallery?

stay safe.

<shrug>  Learning experience.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2012, 11:17:00 AM »
Dude...  I think that anyone that, you know, actually *knows* anything about you would be monumentally stupid to try anything.  First, they wouldn't ever be able to break in to your place.  Second, assuming they got in, I somehow doubt they'd get out....  Ever.   

True, and I now have plenty of land for ... landscaping.  And lack of LOS for neighbors to see anything.

But still, part of being a professional is doing the right thing, every time. My contractor got nervous when he saw the grave shaped mechanic pit in the center of my garage surrounded by plastic tarp.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2012, 11:37:28 AM »
True, and I now have plenty of land for ... landscaping.  And lack of LOS for neighbors to see anything.

But still, part of being a professional is doing the right thing, every time. My contractor got nervous when he saw the grave shaped mechanic pit in the center of my garage surrounded by plastic tarp.

:lol:
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2012, 05:28:08 PM »
<shrug>  Learning experience.

That the new way of saying "Darwin got cheated"?

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2012, 06:19:09 PM »
That the new way of saying "Darwin got cheated"?

My thought was, "she's alive and undamaged", therefore, learning experience.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2012, 07:23:24 PM »
This is mainly what I don't understand.

1.  She knew he didn't have a car.
2.  She also now knows he doesn't have a cell phone either.
3.  Instead of meeting him at a resturant or picking him up, she lets him talk her into coming to her home? 

IMO, anyone worth meeting is likely to have #1 or #2 covered or dealt with one way or the other.  If not #2, they certainly wouldn't be borrowing your phone multiple times.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2012, 07:29:43 PM »
I guess I have to add other reasons he wasn't such a great catch after the fact:

4.  He apparently gave his real name to her allowing her to track him down.
5.  Even if he did steal her phone, the cell company would have records of who he called using her phone. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2012, 07:33:06 PM »
I'm thinking she was going to be stuck with the dinner bill either way.
From the comments.   =D

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2012, 08:00:22 PM »
Only internet person I met was from here, so after meeting and having lunch with him, I did agree to get in his car to ride to the range, cause I figured having the entire board hunting him down was enough of a deteraint against even thinking of treating me with anything less then total respect.
And he could trust me for the same reason.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2012, 08:17:55 PM »
Only internet person I met was from here, so after meeting and having lunch with him, I did agree to get in his car to ride to the range, cause I figured having the entire board hunting him down was enough of a deteraint against even thinking of treating me with anything less then total respect.
And he could trust me for the same reason.

i'd be more worried for him
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2012, 08:25:25 PM »
i'd be more worried for him
=D

Don't worry. He survived.
 :angel:
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2012, 09:49:48 PM »
My contractor got nervous when he saw the grave shaped mechanic pit in the center of my garage surrounded by plastic tarp.

That's when you said, "And your estimate was how much, again?"
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2012, 10:53:06 PM »
That's when you said, "And your estimate was how much, again?"

Actually I said, that is a darn reasonable offer.  And it was