Author Topic: new programming slang  (Read 937 times)

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
new programming slang
« on: May 08, 2012, 09:36:00 AM »
http://umumble.com/blogs/Programming/321/

New programming slang.  Even as a non-computer Luddite I understand most of them, which makes them full of FAIL as slang, but still useful.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

mtnbkr

• friend
Re: new programming slang
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2012, 10:13:48 AM »
I'm guilty of Protoduction.

I'm not a developer, but I'm decent enough with Shell and Perl to throw solutions together for quick fixes, prototypes, etc. 

I was on an email thread with my group (Operations), Engineering (the folks that develop our products), and the Director of Engineering.  DoE was bitching that some feature he considered important to one of our products had not been developed by Product Mgmt and here we are 2yrs later and a customer was demanding it.  After a half day of everyone pointing to everybody else, I cranked out said feature and demonstrated it via screenshots and such.

Everyone liked it.

It got put into the product systems without much in the way of polishing.

It's ugly code.  My intention was to rub Engineering's nose in the mess they had made and show them how easy it was to add that functionality ("so easy a caveman can do it").  I never expected it to end up in a final product.

<sigh>

It works though.

Chris

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2012, 10:17:50 AM »
Smug Report
A bug report submitted by a user who thinks he knows a lot more about the system’s design than he really does. Filled with irrelevant technical details and one or more suggestions (always wrong) about what he thinks is causing the problem and how we should fix it.

I get these from one of our scientists all the time. My usual response, in an annoyed Irish accent, is, "Have you tried turning it off and on again?".
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2012, 10:17:58 AM »
I do Rubberducking a lot.

In fact, I did this the other night while trying to troubleshoot a syslog-ng config that wasn't working as intended.  I was filtering inbound syslog, sending certain hosts to a different destination log.  All of the intended hosts were working except one.  I could clearly see the IP in my filter and see that IP going to the default destination.  I could NOT get it to filter out and go to the alternate.  Another engineer rubberducked it with me and he agreed the config was righteous.  It was at that point I noticed the host was matching based on its hostname and not the IP and that the hostname provided was not the one it was sending in the log messages.  After adding the "new" hostname to the filter, everything worked fine.

Chris

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2012, 10:21:00 AM »
Shrug Reports usually involve Loch Ness Monster bugs.  I've gotten them from customers.  Always a fun time.

Chris

sanglant

• friend
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2012, 03:39:23 PM »
Bloombug
This is the error that randomly generates money.
Perhaps, this is a link to the Bloomberg company.
this has to be wrong, it HAS to be based on bloomberg's bad laws/bills. >:D

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2012, 04:25:34 PM »
Most of my bug reports are from the test engineers.

Often, they misunderstand the requirements or are trying to make the software do something that it was never intended to do.
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

GigaBuist

• friends
    • http://www.justinbuist.org/blog/
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2012, 09:06:24 PM »
I'm guilty of Protoduction.

I'm not a developer, but I'm decent enough with Shell and Perl to throw solutions together for quick fixes, prototypes, etc. 
After a half day of everyone pointing to everybody else, I cranked out said feature and demonstrated it via screenshots and such.

Everyone liked it.

It got put into the product systems without much in the way of polishing.

It's ugly code.

And now the development team will forever have to verify that they didn't break something with your code before they can update.

Don't get me wrong, two years is a long time to thumb your butt, so kudos on you for getting a solution to the customer.

They dug their own grave on that one.

But boy is it annoying when you're running a system only to find out there's like 18 random oddball sister systems that play with it.  You only find out about them when the users complain something doesn't work.  Or they don't notice because the old DB it talked to is still live for historical purposes.  So they're playing with false data.

*shakes tiny fist at little brother for the system he left me*

Got it all sorted out now, but I've seen what happens when the "Oh, I can fix that with a little LAMP" happens every couple of months over the years.

Azrael256

• friend
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2012, 09:11:51 PM »
Smurf Naming Convention definitely hits close to home.  I've had to do 10,000 line code reviews with function names that all shared the first ten characters.  I've also seen DoThis(), //Fix this later (ten year old code), and ScrewYou<PM Name>().

I'm stealing Heisenbug for my next thread race, and I will try not to get fired for "Hooker Code" when I have my weekly(ish) opportunity to use it.