Author Topic: Perhaps he should ask for a different kind of help?  (Read 3256 times)

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
Perhaps he should ask for a different kind of help?
« on: May 19, 2012, 04:35:46 AM »
http://tinyurl.com/7dmlmp8

A 33-year-old Knoxville, Tenn. man with 30 children appeared in court this week to ask the state for child-support help, Memphis news station WREG reported Wednesday.

Desmond Hatchett has fathered 30 children -- which is believed to be the record in Knox county, according to the Los Angeles Times -- with 11 different women. His youngest children are toddlers and his oldest is 14.

Hatchett reportedly asked the court to give him a break on his payments, claiming that he's struggling to make ends meet with his minimum-wage job. Currently, the state requires him to divide 50 percent of his earnings among the 11 women, some of whom receive as little as $1.49 a month, WREG reports.

How did Hatchett come to father so many children? “I had four kids in the same year. Twice," he told Volunteer TV in 2009. He also told a local news station that year that he was "done" having kids (he had only 21 at the time).

Maybe he would do better asking the judge for a disount on a vasectomy?

I used to know a juvenile court judge who had 15 kids (not all by the same woman).  He was paying child support (loys more than the state minimum) for each and every one of them, as well as being involved in their lives a lot more than just showing up for birthdays and dropping off Christmas presents.  You did not want to appear before him in arrears on your support unless you had just gotten out of the hospital that you had been taken to unconscious by ambulance - and he'd still want to know why you had not written asking for a temporary reduction due to a change in circumstances.  On the other hand, he was just as much Hell on wheels towards women who came in asking for more money without proof that expenses (he did not insist on a Food Stamp diet but neither would he support steak and lobster) had gone up or that the father had a recent increase in income and thus should be paying more.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
Re: Perhaps he should ask for a different kind of help?
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2012, 04:29:44 PM »
How did Hatchett come to father so many children?

Um, well ... uh - do you really need an answer to that question ?   ;/
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

drewtam

• friend
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2012, 04:42:04 PM »
What is wrong with these 11 women?
and
Why do they hate their own children?
I’m not saying I invented the turtleneck. But I was the first person to realize its potential as a tactical garment. The tactical turtleneck! The… tactleneck!

Jamie B

• friend
  • I am Abynormal
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2012, 11:06:53 PM »
You need a license to drive, hunt, and fish.

Any idiot can have children.
Greatness lies not in being strong, but in the right use of strength - Henry Ward Beecher

The Almighty tells me He can get me out of this mess, but He’s pretty sure you’re f**ked! - Stephen

Stand_watie

• friend
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2012, 12:51:54 AM »
I'd give him a free vasectomy if he asked me nicely.  :police:
Yizkor. Lo Od Pa'am

"You can have my gun when you pry it from my cold dead fingers"

"Never again"

"Malone Labe"

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2012, 01:26:38 AM »
Every sperm is sacred.
Formerly sumpnz

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2012, 07:28:41 AM »
You know, if you're out on a date, usually certain questions come up, like "do you have any kids?".

Should a guy that young say a number over two (and two baby momma's), I'd be out of there so fast you'd see flames and smoke in my wake.
You really got to wonder about people sometimes.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2012, 08:34:02 AM »
Any idiot can have children.

Correction....if you're trying to adopt, the state requires you to go through a psychological anal probe & financial rape before you can have a kid....  ;/

The idiots just have biology on their side.....
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2012, 12:11:02 PM »
You know, if you're out on a date, usually certain questions come up, like "do you have any kids?".

Should a guy that young say a number over two (and two baby momma's), I'd be out of there so fast you'd see flames and smoke in my wake.

With respect to the guy in the OP's article, I agree.  However I have 3 kids and am only 1-2 years older than that guy.  I've known plenty of people with 4-5 kids by their early 30's.  Granted they were (mostly) born within the context of stable marraiges.

I think the metric should be more like how well he is able to care for all of his kids, regardless of many there are, and how many baby-mommas there are - up to a point anyway - past half a dozen or so kids with 3 or more women in a short time frame would indicate possible problems to me. 
Formerly sumpnz

MrsSmith

• I do declare, someone needs an ass whoopin'
  • friend
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2012, 12:44:40 PM »
I wouldn't tell anyone how many kids they can or can't have, as long as I don't have to get involved in their upbringing (either physically or financially).

I will say this though: I have three kids and there were plenty of times when one or another of them required extra care and the other two got the short end of the stick. Not to say they were neglected, but when you have one child in the hospital, priorities change and the needs of the other two are compromised a bit. That's just one example. And the more kids you have, the higher the odds for more mishaps and complications. I don't care how good of a parent you are, you can't give the same love and care to 15 kids that you can give to one or two or even three. These aren't dogs or students in a classroom or nieces and nephews that all go home at the end of the day. These are children you have brought into the world and you are therefore responsible for more than just putting food on their plates and clothes on their backs and going to a couple soccer games. Teaching another individual everything they need to know to be healthy and well-adjusted adults and productive citizens is a lot of work and takes a lot of time and careful thought.

Once again, just because you have a RIGHT to do something doesn't mean it's always RESPONSIBLE to do so. A fact so many seem not to understand.
America is at that awkward stage; It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards. ~ Claire Wolfe

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2012, 02:04:06 PM »
With respect to the guy in the OP's article, I agree.  However I have 3 kids and am only 1-2 years older than that guy.  I've known plenty of people with 4-5 kids by their early 30's.  Granted they were (mostly) born within the context of stable marraiges.

I think the metric should be more like how well he is able to care for all of his kids, regardless of many there are, and how many baby-mommas there are - up to a point anyway - past half a dozen or so kids with 3 or more women in a short time frame would indicate possible problems to me. 

I should have corrected myself earlier, but I had to run. I was going off the age when he was quoted as not wanting any more kids, 21.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2012, 05:19:26 PM »
I should have corrected myself earlier, but I had to run. I was going off the age when he was quoted as not wanting any more kids, 21.

And twelve years later he still has not figured out why it happens?

I don't think I'm a child welfare/child support nazi, but I would like a judge somewhere to give serious consideration to just how much impact/influence this guy is having with each and every one of his kids, and how as little as $1.49/month can be called contributing to the child's support.  Voluntary (or adversarial) termination of residual parental rights for some of the children might improve the situation for all of the children.  It's a difficult decision to make in the best of circumstances (absent parent who has not even surfaced to object to adoption by a step-parent) and more difficult in curcumstances where the parent "deserves" to lose residual rights but the child may still have some emotional bond (a hefty portion of some of the severest abuse and/or neglect cases).  But I'm not seeing/hearing/reading anything that suggests he is a "parent" to some portion of the children he has donated sperm towards their existence.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2012, 07:03:35 PM »
I wouldn't tell anyone how many kids they can or can't have, as long as I don't have to get involved in their upbringing (either physically or financially).

I will say this though: I have three kids and there were plenty of times when one or another of them required extra care and the other two got the short end of the stick. Not to say they were neglected, but when you have one child in the hospital, priorities change and the needs of the other two are compromised a bit. That's just one example. And the more kids you have, the higher the odds for more mishaps and complications. I don't care how good of a parent you are, you can't give the same love and care to 15 kids that you can give to one or two or even three. These aren't dogs or students in a classroom or nieces and nephews that all go home at the end of the day. These are children you have brought into the world and you are therefore responsible for more than just putting food on their plates and clothes on their backs and going to a couple soccer games. Teaching another individual everything they need to know to be healthy and well-adjusted adults and productive citizens is a lot of work and takes a lot of time and careful thought.

Once again, just because you have a RIGHT to do something doesn't mean it's always RESPONSIBLE to do so. A fact so many seem not to understand.

So how many children can one have before you deem them irresponsible?
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2012, 09:17:05 PM »

You seem to be assuming that the male date participant might accidentally lapse into truth. I kind of wonder. Look at superstars like Tiger Woods and Magic Johnson. I doubt very much they told their wives how they were spending their nights on the road.

At the other end of the income spectrum, about 35 years ago my late uncle was the manager of a small-ish satellite factory for a nationally-known hardware company. He told me once about a guy who surprised him by coming into his office one day and asking to be let off for the afternoon because his wife had just gone to the hospital to deliver a baby.

"But [Joe]," said my uncle, "didn't your wife just have a baby last month?"

[Cue stage whisper]"Don't tell nobody, Boss, but I got two wives."

Remember the saga of the thirty miners who were trapped underground for a month in Chile? They were from a small town, but one of them somehow managed to have two wives, neither of whom knew about the other until they both showed up to greet him when he stepped out of the rescue capsule. OOPS!
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

MrsSmith

• I do declare, someone needs an ass whoopin'
  • friend
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2012, 09:59:46 PM »
So how many children can one have before you deem them irresponsible?

Suppose that depends on the person. How many kids can you provide adequate care for? Three was tops for me. I know some people who never should have had kids and some who did great with five.

And see, that's the thing. I don't for an instant believe it's my right to make that call. I just wish we lived in a society where folks would make it on their own.
America is at that awkward stage; It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards. ~ Claire Wolfe

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2012, 10:02:48 PM »
Suppose that depends on the person. How many kids can you provide adequate care for? Three was tops for me. I know some people who never should have had kids and some who did great with five.

And see, that's the thing. I don't for an instant believe it's my right to make that call. I just wish we lived in a society where folks would make it on their own.

I would think we could safely say 30 is to many for one person...

Devonai

• friend
  • Panic Mode Activated
    • Kyrie Devonai Publishing
« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2012, 10:04:18 PM »
Every sperm is sacred.

If a sperm is wasted, God gets quite irate!  =D
My writing blog: Kyrie Devonai Publishing

When in danger, when in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout!

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2012, 11:17:16 PM »
If a sperm is wasted, God gets quite irate!  =D

It's medical experiments for the lot of ya!

I would think we could safely say 30 is to many for one person...

Well, if you include the "moms" its more like 12 people.  It's not that many kids per person when you spread them out like that.  But, he clearly is incapable of providing for 1 kid, let alone 30.
Formerly sumpnz

slugcatcher

• friend
« Reply #18 on: May 21, 2012, 03:38:17 PM »
Correction....if you're trying to adopt, the state requires you to go through a psychological anal probe & financial rape before you can have a kid....  ;/

That's an understatement to say the least.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #19 on: May 21, 2012, 06:21:30 PM »

The cultural and sexual calculus these people are using to determine who's desirable to have sex with, or actually have children with, is completely 180 degrees plus a hard-left at the intersection of "ZOMG" and "WTF?" streets from what most on this board would understand.
I promise not to duck.