Author Topic: Research that has practical applicatioon - and was not grant funded  (Read 681 times)

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
http://volokh.com/2012/05/30/irish-scientists-solve-stout-mystery/

Scientists explain why bubbles in a pint of Guiness appear to sink - even before you take your first sip.

From the comments:
It wasn't so much that the bubbles "descending" in a nitrogen-aerated stout due to fluid dynamics was the mystery, but rather exactly why those flow dynamics occur in a pint glass to begin with. From the arXiv abstract:

Over the last ten years or so, physicists have begun to pick this problem apart. Most recently they've shown that it is not the bubbles that sink but the liquid, which circulates in a way that is downwards near the glass walls and upwards in the interior.  As long as the downward flow of the liquid is faster than the upward motion of the bubbles, they will appear to sink. 

But that still leaves a puzzle: why does the liquid circulate in this way?

That's the puzzle that the Irish mathematicians solved.

Seeing as this was science, one wonders at just how many instances were analyzed in order to be able to say the results were not merely the result of anecdotal observation?  It's dedication like that which will preserve science against the assault of pop culture.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Leave it to the Irish to find a way to do science without leaving the pub.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

RoadKingLarry

• friends
Now that's a field of science I could get involved in.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
If it wasn't officially funded, it wasn't True Science.

Does it happen with champagne?  Club soda?
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
If it wasn't officially funded, it wasn't True Science.

Does it happen with champagne?  Club soda?

Instead of asking fool questions, why are you not applying for grants to fund the research necessary to obtain the answers?  And would you need an assistant?

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.