Author Topic: UTah brutality, lets see how you guys feel  (Read 5641 times)

thorn

• friend
UTah brutality, lets see how you guys feel
« on: August 22, 2005, 09:51:32 AM »
FIXING LINKS NOW< sheriff:
http://www.utahcountyonline.org/News/DeptNewsDetails.asp?ID=17759&WN_System=SHERIFF

\\should be nice to get a different viewpoint, everyone here of course is screaming bloody murder.
i am pretty indifferent myself, Utah is not a place to mess around, so i am not suprised.
this is quite heavy handed behavior though (acK! i am editing langugage, sorry it is quoted)
this is a post from tribe, an account by a witness, with links to sheriff's statement at bottom-

this "event" was more or less a rave, techno music party, all night dancing out under the stars. a party.
organizers HAD PERMITS, SEcurity, and were searching and confiscating drugs, security was arrested for possesion! read on>>>

Originally Posted by knick evl ntnt

Last night, I was booked to play an event about an hour outside of Salt Lake City, Utah. The hype behind this show was huge, they presold 700 tickets and they expected up to 3,000 people total. The promoters did an amazing job with the show.. they even made slipmats with the flyers on them to promote in local shops.

So, we got to the show around 11:15 or so and it was really cool. It was all outdoors, in a valley surrounded by huge mountains. They had an amazing light show flashing on to a mountain behind the site, the sound was booming, the crowd was about 1500 people thick and everything just seemed too good to be true really. Well...

At about 11:30 or so, I was standing behind the stage talking with someone when I noticed a helicopter pulling over one of the mountain tops. I jokingly said "Oh look, here comes big brother" to the person I was with. I wasn't far off.

The helicopter dipped lower and lower and started shining its lights on the crowd. I was kind of in awe and just sat and watched this thing circle us for a minute. As I looked back towards the crowd I saw a guy dressed in camoflauge walking by, toting an assault rifle. At this point, everyone was fully aware of what was going on . A few "troops" rushed the stage and cut the sound off and started yelling that everyone "get the f&%$ out of here or go to jail". This is where it got really sticky.

No one resisted. That's for sure. They had police dogs raiding the crowd of people and I saw a dog signal out a guy who obviously had some drugs on him. The soldiers attacked the guy (4 of them on 1), and kicked him a few times in t

he ribs and had their knees in his back and sides. As they were cuffing him, there was about 1000 kids trying to leave in the backdrop, peacefully. Next thing I know, A can of f%&$ing TEAR GAS is launched into the crowd. People are running and screaming at this point. Girls are crying, guys are cussing... bad scene.

Now, this is all I saw with my own eyes, but I heard plenty of other accounts of the night. Now this isnt gossip I heard from some candy raver, these are instances cited straight out of the promoters mouth..

- One of the promoters friends (a very small female) was attacked by one of the police dogs. As she struggled to get away from it, the police tackled her. 3 grown men proceeded to KICK HER IN THE STOMACH.

- The police confiscated 3 video tapes in total. People were trying to document what was happening out there. The police saw one guy filming and ran after him, tackled him and his camera fell, and luckily.. his friend grabbed it and ran and got away. priceless footage. That's not all though. Out of 1,500 people, there's sure to be more footage.

- The police were rounding up the staff of the party and the main promoter went up to them with the permit for the show and said "here, I have the permit." The police then said, "no you don't" and ripped the permit out of his hand. Then, they put an assault rifle to his forehead and said "get the *expletive deleted*ck out of here right now."

Now.. let's get the facts straight here.

This event was 100% legal. They had every permit the city told them they needed. They had a 2 MILLION DOLLAR insurance policy for the event. They had liscenced security guards at the gates confiscating any alcohol or drugs found upon entry (yes, they searched every car on the way in). Oh, I suppose I should mention that they arrested all the security guards for possession.

Oh another interesting fact.. the police did not have a warrant. The owner of the land already has a lawsuit against the city for something similar. A few months ago, she rented her land for a party and the police raided that as well. And catch this, the police forced her to LEAVE HER OWN PERSONAL PROPERTY. That's right. They didnt arrest her, but made her leave her own property!!!

Don't get it twisted, this is all going down in probably THE most conservative state in the USA. And this is scary.. a gross violation of our civil liberties. The police wanted this party shut down, so they made it happen. Even though everything about this event was legal. The promoters spent over $ 20,000 on this show and did everything they had to to make it legit, only to have it taken away from them by a group of radical neo-con's with an agenda.

This was one of the scariest things I have ever witnessed in person. I can't even begin to describe how surreal it was. Helicopters, assault rifles, tear gas, camoflauge-wearing soldiers.... why? Was that really necessary?

This needs to be big news across the USofA. At least in our music scene (edm as a whole)... this could happen to any of us at any time. When we're losing the right to gather peacefully, we're also letting the police set a standard of what we can get away with. And I think that's BULL&*%$!

The system f#$%d up last night... They broke up a party that was 100% legal and they physically hurt a lot of people there at the same time. The promoters already have 6 lawsuits ready to file with their lawyers and the ACLU is already involved.

I'm sure some pictures (and hopefully some video) will surface soon. I'll make sure to post them up here on 404, so you can see the Police State of America at work.

p.s. - there are more stories of police brutality that i'll post up later. gotta hit the airport soon. can't wait to get the f#$% out of this s#$% hole state.

www.buzzlife.com/forums/showthread.php
^^^ that link is only to the forum with original post, useless

TarpleyG

• friend
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2005, 09:57:13 AM »
The sheriff's statement link is broken.  Assuming this all happened the way you laid it out, I cannot see how the sheriff's department can avoid a scandal and prosecution here.  Kepp us updated.  Did you post this on THR and TFL as well??  You should.

Greg

Werewolf

• friend
  • Lead, Follow or Get the HELL out of the WAY!
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2005, 10:33:30 AM »
uhhhhh....

exactly what was the event - that isn't obvious from your post? what were you guys doing? protesting something or other, pro dope or something? The cops don't go all NAZI JBT for nothing...
Life is short, Break the rules, Forgive quickly, Kiss slowly, Love
truly, Laugh uncontrollably, And never regret anything that made you smile.

Fight Me Online

griz

• friend
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2005, 10:39:20 AM »
I can't get the links to work either. Any newspaper accounts?
Sent from a stone age computer via an ordinary keyboard.

thorn

• friend
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2005, 10:52:53 AM »
ARGH! i will work on the links- i was thinkngi it wasnt quite gun related enough for THR , that's why i didnt post there.

lemme go find better links. you have to reg (free) to see it on tribe.net but this story is all over it

hold on ill get a better link

thorn

• friend
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2005, 11:06:13 AM »
http://www.utahcountyonline.org/News/DeptNewsDetails.asp?ID=17759&WN_System=SHERIFF

fixed the link worth fixing, the other was only to another forum with original post

this "event" was more or less a rave, techno music party, all night dancing out under the stars. a party.
organizers HAD PERMITS, SEcurity, and were searching and confiscating drugs, security was arrested for possesion!
i feel it was pretty heavy handed on the part of police, if all police wanted to act like this, every concert in a large venue could suffer the same fate

the ones we have out here are more or less private parties that all participants share in the cost of throwing.
most rave type parties are like this, a group of people get together. there are some shady promoters out there only in it for the money, but typically it is less like a club or concert and more like a party of a BIG group of friends (at least that's the way it is for us well over 21 folks still into this stuff!)
this is in LA NYE morning of 2004

thorn

• friend
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2005, 11:09:44 AM »
more links=
http://www.drugpolicy.org/news/82205utrave.cfm

http://www.harktheherald.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=News&file=article&sid=62703&mode=thread&order=0&thold=0

oh i love this quote from the paper=
"as the underground event threatened to get out of control. "

oh my they were all dancing and enjoying themselves !!!! out oF ConTrol!

Sindawe

• friend
  • Vashneesht
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2005, 12:09:46 PM »
They don't call 'em JBT for nothing.

It would be a good idea for all the "LEOs" around the planet (similar happend in Europe not too long ago) to remember that not all Rave/Techno fans are happy, peaceful kids.  Some of us don't look too kindly on such heavy handed behavior, and know well how to shoot, and what caliber/type of round to use. angry
I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2005, 12:57:55 PM »
Welcome to Utah.  Now go the hell home.  Tongue J/K
Dude, the cops are out of control all over this country, not just in Utah.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

thorn

• friend
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2005, 01:22:11 PM »
took me a sec to get what you were saying Sindawe, RGHT ON!!

griz

• friend
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2005, 04:33:20 PM »
Before I jump on the JBT bandwagon I have a couple of pointy questions.

1. Are you saying they had a mass gathering permit, bond, and the approval of the county commission?
2. Why do they give directions at the last minute? Sounds like they're hiding something.
3. The weapons, drugs, and underage drinking, did that happen?

Justin

• friend
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2005, 09:23:09 PM »
1. Are you saying they had a mass gathering permit, bond, and the approval of the county commission?
2. Why do they give directions at the last minute? Sounds like they're hiding something.
3. The weapons, drugs, and underage drinking, did that happen?
And of your three questions, which of them involves actions so heinous that they require a response from men wearing flak jackets, helmets, and armed with rifles?
Your secretary is not a graphic designer, and Microsoft Word is not adequate for print design.

thorn

• friend
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2005, 09:36:50 PM »
>>And of your three questions, which of them involves actions so heinous that they require a response from men wearing flak jackets, helmets, and armed with rifles?<<<
they had the proper permits. last minute directions are to prevent crashers, early arrivals, JBTs, a million reasons
the cops TOOK THE PERMIT AND TORE IT UP
exactly. worse, they continue to beat them after compliance....
WEapons ? not at these parties, ever. EVER.  they are trying to tie some other thing into this.
if some party goers taking drugs justifies this, every single musical event in the US is subject to the same.
VIDEos and more==  click the pic on first screen for video
http://www.aymnetwork.com/Versus_II_Utah_Police_Raid_on_Rave

if cops are so sure of themselves as they beat away on kids trying to figure out what is happening to them, why are they screaming "get the camera down!!!" ?!?!?!

as i understand it there is absoultely no legality to that. you are absolutely permitted to tape police action in this country.

Justin

• friend
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2005, 09:57:28 PM »
Thorn, evidently you don't get my point.
Your secretary is not a graphic designer, and Microsoft Word is not adequate for print design.

« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2005, 02:42:27 AM »
It looks to me like a pretty normal display of standard opperating procedure for law enforcement when engaged in "doing its job" involving people with little credibility. If this tape hadnt leaked who would have believed this?

Think about how often small-scale events happen that dont have video evidence.

TarpleyG

• friend
« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2005, 05:57:12 AM »
Yet another successful endeavour into the War on (some) Drugs, right fellas?  It's for the children!!!

The video along with all the eyewitness testimonial is compelling.  I hope something develops out of this because, IMO, the cops/NG were dead wrong in this instance.  Why can't they just leave folks alone?  Even IF there were people using drugs, who cares!!!  They aren't hurting anyone or causing any trouble.  And the fact that they were on PRIVATE land AND had to have a 'permit' is pure, certified, Texas, grade-A bull$hit.

Greg

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2005, 06:51:47 AM »
We've seen only one side of the story.  Hopefully, we will get more information/video/whatever.

If it IS as bad as the video & text describe, some face-masked ninja-wannabes ought to fry.

IMO, video & audio ought to be SOP for any planned/impromtu raid.  This would be good for good LEOs and those they are raiding.  Hopefully, it would keeep some LEOs from acting in a poor manner and support the LEOs when the suspect(s) act in a manner justifying deadly (or other kinds) force.  Kind like personalized dash-cams.

Digital video/audio devices are small enough  that they could be helmet or harness-mounted & likely cost less than the LEO's primary weapon.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

thorn

• friend
« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2005, 09:08:52 AM »
Justin i got your point, i was just going with it.........!

jfruser= did you read the sheriffs dept account?? there's a link up top

thorn

• friend
« Reply #18 on: August 23, 2005, 09:24:07 AM »
UH to CLARIFY what htese parties are about=

these parties are about a bunch of people getting together to DANCE be NICE to each other, and go home happy.

THATS ALL. it isnt about giving people funny ideas of destruction later.
it is about dancing.

you know how you like to shoot for hours??? or play baseball? or watch TV?Huh?

we like to DANCE for HOURS!!!  that's all, just dance and have fun.

jefnvk

• friend
  • I'll sleep away the days and ride the nights...
« Reply #19 on: August 23, 2005, 10:08:54 AM »
these parties are about a bunch of people getting together to DANCE be NICE to each other, and go home happy.
I don't doubt that, but the reports of other similiar parties definitely do not do it justice.  Rapes, a near murder, etc. does not sound like my idea of a nice party.

Now, should they have broken up the party?  Absolutely not, unless there was reports of gross misconduct called in.  But that doesn't seem to be the case, it seems that this was a planned operation.

Onto the drugs.  I do not like the drug rules.  I could care less if the guy next to me is on crack, as long as he isn't bothering me.  But until the laws are changed and allow it, I'm not going to have any sympathy for him getting arrested.
I still say 'Give Detroit to Canada'

griz

• friend
« Reply #20 on: August 23, 2005, 12:21:41 PM »
A couple disclaimers first: First, I still can't get the video to work. So I can't comment on the level of force used. Im going by the comments of both sides and the newspaper because thats all I have to go on. Second, I am operating in the dark here regarding rave parties so I dont know who to believe as to what usually happens.

That said:

And of your three questions, which of them involves actions so heinous that they require a response from men wearing flak jackets, helmets, and armed with rifles?
If they suspected firearms, and the newspaper said some were charged with weapons violations, then an armed response would be appropriate.

Hey I believe that drug laws are wrong and have even been chastised here for voting accordingly. But the police will enforce the law. You shouldn't be surprised when they do. And for them to ignore a party similar to ones where people were shot and raped will not happen either.

Please dont get the impression that Im trying to defend excessive force here. If thats what happened then it was wrong and the police should be disciplined. But look at the bright side. If the police were as brutal as you say, and the people putting on the show did have the permits required, then just think of the party they can put on with the proceeds from the lawsuit.

GigaBuist

• friends
    • http://www.justinbuist.org/blog/
« Reply #21 on: August 23, 2005, 03:47:28 PM »
Looking at the video I noticed something... the uniforms don't even have 'POLICE' written on them, and it would appear that the officer's faces are covered.

That's just a little too creepy for me.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #22 on: August 23, 2005, 06:18:36 PM »
"Rapes, a near murder, etc. does not sound like my idea of a nice party."

Similar things have happened at major league sporting events.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Winston Smith

• friends
  • Cheaper than a locksmith
    • My Photography
« Reply #23 on: August 23, 2005, 06:19:43 PM »
Yeah.. I'm coming around to the negative side on this one, at gigabuist has the reason.
Jack
APS #22
I'm eighteen years old. I know everything and I'm invincible.
Right?

jefnvk

• friend
  • I'll sleep away the days and ride the nights...
« Reply #24 on: August 23, 2005, 06:43:16 PM »
Similar things have happened at major league sporting events.
Good point.

On the other hand, every major sporting event I have been to has a multitude of LEO's on hand to take care of any situtation that may arise.
I still say 'Give Detroit to Canada'