Author Topic: APS Recipe thread #2: starting with Hotel Sierra Strawberry Shortcake  (Read 2364 times)

Yankee Shortcake:

Go preheat an oven to 400 degrees and make sure the rack is on the middle. Get a nice baking sheet and grease it with straight butter.

2 cups all purpose flour (place in large bowl)

Three and a half teaspoons of baking powder (Rumford is best, non aluminum, adjust amount up or down 1/2 teaspoon to account for sensitivity to baking powder taste)
Pinch salt
Two tablespoons sugar

^ Mix those things in with it.

Cut in four tablespoons of soft butter with a pastry knife or a fork or your fingers, and then two tablespoons of your favorite oil. These two tablespoons of butter substituted with, say, ultralight olive oil, are the difference between a delicious baked food and a night spent tossing and turning with heartburn. Your mileage may vary.

Get a 3/4 cup of milk. Optional: Buttermilk for taste.

Now you have a nice white looking grainy mixture. Stir in that milk. Stir SLOWLY. The object is to just carefully mix the milk into the dry ingredients, creating a soggy white dough, not to whip it into submission which will destroy the texture. Be generous with the milk and use all 3/4 cup. These are drop shortcakes, not rolled.

Get a nice wooden spoon. If you don't have one, any other will do. Drop four inch wide shortcakes on the baking sheet. They should be around 4" by 3" or so and an inch thick, this is so that they will fit best in the bowl. You may of course vary this.

Put them in the oven. Set your watch for ten minutes and get the pound of frozen strawberries out of the fridge. Frozen strawberries never go bad, but you can mix some of your fresh ones into the saucepan after cutting off the rotted parts. Tip: If you buy nice strawberries, freeze them yourself. Then you won't be throwing out perfectly good fruit that you didn't eat soon enough.

Squirt some lemon juice (maybe 1/4 tsp) and dap some white sugar (maybe two tablespoons) into the pan with them. Hey, I never said this was a healthy treat.

Put it on medium until they're all melted, then crank it up to high. Add a LITTLE water if the strawberries are all lonesome and juiceless, if you put in 1/8 cup they'll be swimming by the time you want to use them, so use your judgement.

Take the pint of really good vanilla icecream out of the fridge. Go check the shortcake. Yes, it's okay to break a little piece off to see if they're done inside. You can always put it back and then eat it immediately when you take them out.

The strawberry sauce should be boiling hard now. Let it keep boiling until the shortcake is done. You'll know they're done when their bottoms are getting brown, the peaks on top are browning, and the interior doesn't feel undone.

Take the shortcake out, stick a big spoon in the saucepan, split the shortcakes in half so now you have a lot of 1/2" thick shortbread slices, and get the bowls out. Put a layer of shortcake in the bottom so that they cover the bottom and stick up the sides, then put your chosen amount of icecream in the bowl, with a depression in the middle. Ladle boiling strawberries and their sauce generously over the icecream.

Now you have:

warm shortcake
cool vanilla icecream
hot strawberries.

If you're trying to seduce a woman, this is the first dessert to make in front of her. (practice first)

APS Recipe thread #2: starting with Hotel Sierra Strawberry Shortcake
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2005, 01:57:33 PM »
Please, God, let Blackburn eventually get laid. Amen.

HForrest

« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2005, 02:55:23 PM »
Bwahahahahahaha!

Brrlgrrl

• friend
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2005, 03:30:34 PM »
LOL Barbara! If that's the case then I'm in double trouble, as one who is in a happy, monogamous (and active) relationship, I LOVE recipes.  If I wasn't a pencil pushing, keyboard commando, I'd like to be a professional chef.  Okay, enough about me, on to the most disgusting, yet delicious recipe in the world!

My Mom's Cheese Bread (stolen from Black Angus)

A loaf (or ten) of sourdough, split lengthwise
A cup or so of mayonaisse,
A cup or so of butter
A cup or so of minced garlic
A cup or so of Monterey Jack cheese
A cup or so of Asiago cheese
A cup or so of Parmesan cheese
Spread a heapingly huge layer of the above concoction on the bread, bake until golden and bubbly.
Enjoy!
Blackburn- it has been my experience that this recipe may help your chances...lol

Felonious Monk/Fignozzle

« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2005, 04:44:10 PM »
Barbara and Brrlgrrl--
Thanks for the best belly laugh I've had in a year or more!!!

Blackburn-- take it in the good natured razzing as it's intended, bro.

Brrlgrrl

• friend
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2005, 05:12:09 PM »
Okay, heres another, but only cause Im really hungry (if you get my drift):
We stole this one from a little Italian place (where we had our 1st date):
Italian Appetizer(cause its the colors of the Italian flag)
Each serving:
Thick sliced tomato
Thick slab fresh Mozzarella
1 leaf of basil
Drizzle with olive oil, sprinkle with crushed red pepper and fresh ground peeper
mmmmmmmmmm&
I now make this into a salad, simply quartering tomatoes, halving or quartering (depending on size) Mozzarella, and that damn French word for little ribbons- chiffonade? Basil.  Yummy&
Its time for dinner
lol

HForrest

« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2005, 05:46:00 PM »
I'm now noticing that the name of Blackburn's recipe is "Hotel Sierra Strawberry Shortcake", and I'm guessing that Hotel Sierra is NATO phonetic alphabet for "homestyle". I'm seeing this, and I'm realizing Barbara's post is 100% serious, and not a laughing matter.

Tongue

Felonious Monk/Fignozzle

« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2005, 05:49:35 PM »
Recipes? Did I hear someone say...recipes?
And I say unto you, Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you.

Beer and Cheddar Cheesecake

The originator of this recipe first tried this recipe because they were on the 7th day of a Hopi Peyote ritual, and was trying to come down with a fifth of Canadian Mist.
To their surprise, it was actually very good. The cheddar cheese doesn't really dance across the floor like they thought it would, but it has a great texture, like corduroy, and taste like tomato-shaped watermelon!

Crust
1 1/2 cups graham cracker crumbs
1/4 cup sweet butter, melted
butter (to grease pan)
Filling
2 lbs cream cheese, softened
1 1/4 cups sugar
4 large eggs
1 teaspoon lemon juice
1/2 cup beer
1 1/3 cups shredded cheddar cheese
1/2 cup heavy whipping cream, slightly whipped
18 servings Change size or US/metric
Change to: servings US Metric
2 hours 15 minutes 15 mins prep
ADVERTISEMENT - Remove this ad

1. Preheat oven to 300F degrees.
2. For crust, combine crumbs with melted butter.
3. Press on bottom and sides of a buttered 8-inch spring-form pan.
4. For filling, beat cream cheese until soft.
5. Beat in sugar.
6. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
7. Add lemon juice, beer, and cheese.
8. Mix thoroughly.
9. Fold in cream.
10. Pour into the crust.
11. Bake in preheated oven for 1 ½ to 2 hours, or until center is set (cake will be golden in color).
12. Do not remove from oven.
13. Turn the oven off and allow the cake to remain in the oven with the door slightly open to let the heat out gradually.
14. Remove from oven and cool.
15. Chill before serving.

HForrest

« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2005, 06:14:54 PM »
This is an Italian recipe from a cookbook, one of my favorite dinners... it's called Drunk Chicken, or as I say, "Meal Plan Delta-Charlie"

Chicken Ubriaco (drunk chicken)

1/4 lb. butter or margarine
4 skinless boneless chicken breasts
1/2 teaspon tarragon
1 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon black pepper
1 clove garlic, minced
3 tbsp. onion, minced
1 cup dry vermouth
1 cup fresh mushrooms, sliced
1 cup sour cream
2 tbsp. water (as needed)

Melt butter in skillet over low heat, season chicken with tarragon, pepper, salt, onion, garlic. Brown chicken in butter, add vermouth, and cover. Simmer 10 minutes, turn chicken , add mushrooms, cover and simmer  10 more minutes. Remove chicken.

Evaporate remaining liquid by 1/2. Add sour cream, mix well. Place chicken back in sauce and heat, and serve over a bed of egg noodles or aborio rice (the aborio rice works really well).

« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2005, 07:00:01 PM »
Barbara Wrote:
LOLOLOL.

Blackburn, Women don't want a guy without experience.  Even Sir Thomas More's "Utopia" had folks make sure the cow gave milk before they bought the cow.  

October 2005 issue of "Family Circle" [ if ya gotta know I was over at mom's and she was given this issue to read...I was checking out the recipes FWIW]
ON page 96 is "The Secret Life of the American Wife" [ it was in the way of the recipe I was looking at].
Basically women enjoy sex and ain't got time to teach a young 'un - Amature night ain't cool.

Oh I can cook real food and desserts.  I enjoy sharing a kitchen and trying new recipes. Then again just picking up BBQ family pack to go, ordering a delivery Pizza,  and / or for dessert chocolate, cheescake, a pie, vanilla ice cream with Root beer for floats....are great ideas.

Sometimes a lady does not want to be in the kitchen, damn sure don't want a guy in the kitchen.  I mean quality time is quality time.  She can to a diner and watch some guy cook any time she wants to - and does not have to clean up his mess, and put the toliet seat down when he finally leaves...

Nope show up with vanilla ice cream , root beer, and a can of whip cream. Talk, communicate, and for goodness sakes LISTEN to her while you enjoy the root beer float. That will impress her more than cooking most often.

thorn

• friend
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2005, 07:52:51 PM »
ooooooooooo= do i give up mom's special breakfast muffin recipe???
EVERYONE dies for them, even if they are "french muffins"

ok first- BUTTERSCOTHCH BROWNIES- basically follow hershey's brownie receipe EXACTLY ai in preparation method, but instead of sugar, brown sugar, and forget the cocoa pwder. MMMMMMMMMMM.
(i just got that receipe finally after years of missing them, they are really good!)

OK- BREAKFAST MUFFINS- you got to do this right, melt the butter, put muffins in butter, THEN in cinnamon/sugar=
ok read on, and LOVE ME!  =NO ONE (unless you hate cinnamon) can resist the muffin!!

1/3 cup butter
1/2 cup sugar
1 egg
1 1/2 flour
1 1/2 tsp powder
pinch salt
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1/2 cup milk

bake at 350 for 20 min **** so that is for hte muffins, then=
roll in melted butter!!!1/3 cup butter (more) in bowl, dip muffins to cover with butter

then roll butter covered muffin in >>>>

1/2 cup sugar
1 tsp cinnamon

mom says always use MORE butter and cinnamon/sugar.

when you are eating these, thank Thorn's mommy!
ha hahah hahaha

i don't cook much, but i bake like you wouldnt believe! pies, cookies, cakes, i am VERY good!

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2005, 05:29:05 AM »
Quote from: Barbara
I am so glad I wasn't drinking coffee at that moment. Thanks for the exploding giggle this morning, I think people heard me outside my office because the foot traffic just sort of stopped after I laughed.

+1 for what SM typed

If you want a seduce a woman, talk to her, look her in the eye when you and try not to stare at her chest too much. When she walk away to go do whatever, stare all you want at her butt, be be careful if she does a quick turnaround.

Charby
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Larry Ashcraft

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2005, 06:50:15 AM »
Quote from: Brrlgrrl
Each serving:
Thick sliced tomato
Thick slab fresh Mozzarella
1 leaf of basil
Drizzle with olive oil, sprinkle with crushed red pepper and fresh ground peeper
mmmmmmmmmm&
We had that last night, along with spaghetti and crushed garlic and olive oil on fresh bread.

mmmmmmmmmm....

The only thing I would substitute is the tomatoes.  It should say "Thick sliced perfect tomato from Larry's garden". Smiley

Brrlgrrl

• friend
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2005, 03:54:01 PM »
Larry-
Around here they are fresh picked from "Dan's" garden!

Another one I'm making for my Mom's B-day party tomorrow:

Bowtie pesto pasta salad

Bowtie pasta
Pesto
split grape tomatoes
toss in chunks of feta cheese

Tonight I'm making a peppercorn pork tenderloin, grilled asparagus and garlic red potatos.