Author Topic: Pretty disturbing  (Read 2562 times)

HForrest

Pretty disturbing
« on: August 25, 2005, 03:20:10 PM »
I just started my sophomore year in high school yesterday, and with the first day of school comes loads of papers. So, I look through the bundle of official school papers... same crap as last year... but then I come to something new. Text copied as written by the school.

August 24, 2005

Dear Parent,

With advancements in technological integration within the state of California, we will soon be able to electronically transfer a student's academic records from ---------- High School to their chosen colleges and universities. This will allow us to insure that accurate information regarding your student will be sent to the proper school in a timely manner.

In order to be able to include your student in this opportunity, we will need to have his/her Social Security Number on file. This is the identification precess that has been established by the UC and CSU systems, and that we will be required to use.

Please return this letter with your student's name and Social Security Number to the ---------- High School Counseling Office as soon as possible so we may begin updating our records.

Student's Name (Please Print): __________________________________________________________

Social Security Number:            _ _ _-_ _-_ _ _ _

_______________________________________
                                                                 Parent Name (Print)

________________________________________
                                                                   Parent Signature

Thank you,

-------- ------
Principal

Oh no. Hell no. No freakin' way. If they need my SSN, they can ask me personally, and allow me to supervise the deletion of its record after being tranfered to my college of choice.

This paper is going in the trash right now.

Brrlgrrl

• friend
Pretty disturbing
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2005, 04:02:48 PM »
No, I don't think so.  Although the SSN is becoming a recognized piece of identification, it was never meant to be that.  As it is, you are to keep your SSN private, away from prying eyes, etc.

Maybe your parents should explain that they don't feel comfortable in the days of  "dentity theft", giving out your SSN to make "recordkeeping" faster.

In otherwords, your parents need to find a "PC" way of saying, "Ki** my a**".

Good luck, we just barely got the SD graduated last year, and I'm doubtful that college will be an option.  You've already got a great head start, I wonder Combat, (as you are from CA), are your parents not the "typical fruit and nut" variety?

My SD (step-daughter) is a raging moron.  I'm sorry if that is offensive to anyone, but she is.  I didn't have much control over the situation as she was 16 when I met her.  She knows where I stand on social issues as well as gov't, and chooses to not be around. I really wonder if my views affected her in a negative way. 1. If I hadn't raised three stepkids previously and 2. She hadn't finished High School too damn close to San Francisco.
RE: 1.  
I raised three really cool (which says alot since I don't even like kids) Stepkids with an abusive ex who I've been hiding from for 3 years. I had the oppportunity to meet with the oldest recently.  I did a good job.  She questioned his BS and moved out immediately at 18.
I spent 7 years with her and her two siblings from pre teen to teenagehood. (is that a word?)
The two oldest have left home, are finishing school (high school and college) and the youngest is just screwed.  She's stuck in that house for two more years.  However, they have good heads on their shoulders, they know the difference between right and wrong in spite of their relationship with their father.
I just wonder, Combat, are you with your "natural" parents, a step, or adopted?  If step or adopted, late in childhood?  early?  
And to close re: 2.
Both families that I have been involved with have been within a 20 mile radius, the liberal SF BS should logically affet both groups.  Because of this commonality, I am logically dismissing this explanation.
So, to put it in really base forms:  I am the constant.  
Two families, radically different, turn out radically different.  
First family, totally screwed up; violent and abusive-kids turn out great(my direct influence 7 years).  
Second family, sweet, loving, "hippy-type surfer father"-kid turns into a "fag-hag"( okay I feel I must eloborate here.  I don't care what anyone does as long as they don't force it down my throat.  I'd be offended if my parents wanted to have sex in front of me, or attend an all-hetero parade, WTF is up with that?) she is not financially or morally accountable for her actions.  Everything is accepted as "thats just "Jane"".  
Combat- I wanna know, are your parents your natural parents, do they share your interests, and do they force you to be accountable for your actions?
Sorry for the rant folks, I haven't stopped by to visit in a while.  Even though I sound really bitchy, I'd like to know some other folks' experience.  I've become so frustrated in my current situation, that I've thought about leaving.  I'm very much in love and my boyfriend is the sweetest man I've ever met.  I also believe that is his biggest downfall.  I, on the other hand, am probably the biggest bit*ch he's ever met and I'm pretty sure he thinks that's my downfall!

HForrest

Pretty disturbing
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2005, 04:13:28 PM »
My parents aren't like me in the least bit. They're leftists, and were anti-gun until I started liking guns and badgered them for years to change their views. They don't really care about issues like this, and if I wasn't there to "keep them in line", they would've signed that form. It's kinda hard to believe sometimes, but they are my natural parents... could you explain a little further what you mean by"forcing me to be accountable for my own actions"?

brimic

• friends
Pretty disturbing
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2005, 04:26:57 PM »
Sounds like if you want to go to a school in the UC system, you will need to give your S.S. number anyhow. At best, the school will issue a student ID number that is different from your S.S. number if you request it. If you want to apply for student loans, you will need to give out your S.S. number. If you want to open a checking account in college, you will need to provide your S.S. number to the bank. If you get a job, you will need to provide your S.S number. If you ever buy a house, you will need to provide your S.S. number for a mortgage. If you don't want your S.S. number to follow you from cradle to grave, you were born about 60 years too late. Its better to save your angst for something that really matters.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

HForrest

Pretty disturbing
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2005, 04:32:38 PM »
I understand I'll need it in college, but it annoys me that it's a public K-12 school that wants it.

Brrlgrrl

• friend
Pretty disturbing
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2005, 04:34:20 PM »
brimic- I think the angst is appropriately applied.  The SSN was never meant to be an identification number.
Combat- 'forcing you to be accountable'- are you just toying with me?  
Situation:  16 year old kid wrecks car.  Not only do you take the keys, the kid loses driving privilage, and has to walk anywhere and everywhere, and they are happy about it because at least they get to go somewhere, even if it is only to school and work.
That's my example of forcing a child to be accountable, but I think you were just trying to get my goat. : )

Brrlgrrl

• friend
Pretty disturbing
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2005, 04:38:08 PM »
So Combat, a theory that I'm working on is that children rebel against parents, no matter what their affiliations.  I am not a good example of this theory, because my parents are very conservative.  They raised 4 children who turned out to be very conservative, just like them.  It seems liberal parent raise conservative kids, and conservative parents raise liberal kids.
Is that your situation?

brimic

• friends
Pretty disturbing
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2005, 05:32:18 PM »
The SSN was never meant to be an identification number
True.

I liken it to having a view of a mountain in your backyard. The mountain is neither good not bad, some people like it, others do not. You spend the rest of your life trying to move that mountain, but in the end, you will not make so much as a scratch in it. You can A. live with it, B. move to a place where the mountain cannot be seen, or C. get worked up about something that you can do nothing about.

Barack Obama

HForrest

Pretty disturbing
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2005, 05:39:16 PM »
Well, I do have many disagreements with my parents, but it's not simply because I'm rebeling against them, it's because I've thought it over and I genuinely think my parents' position is wrong. We agree on certain political issues, too.

With the "responsibility" thing, I know what that means in general, I just didn't really understand why you were asking me. Yes, my parents do make me accountable, etc. In the example you described... I somewhat disagree with the response of the parent(s) in question. If the kid can pay for his car, I think he should be able to drive. I believe that around 13-14, a child turns into a real person, and I think it's fair if he/she learns the actual, real-world consequences of their actions, rather than an artificial punishment from parents. If a kid wrecks the car, fine, but he needs to pay for it to be fixed- that's what will happen in the real world. Punishment from parents doesn't.

brimic

• friends
Pretty disturbing
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2005, 05:39:48 PM »
I understand I'll need it in college, but it annoys me that it's a public K-12 school that wants it.
If you go to a high school in the United States, they already have your number. You need to have your immunization records released to them to even step foot in the school building, if you play on a sports team, you need proof of insurance which also entails the ubiquitous S.S. number.

They are asking for it voluntarily to give them permission to send your transcripts electronically, which is probably a pretty big convenience that I would take in this day and age.

Barack Obama

Brrlgrrl

• friend
Pretty disturbing
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2005, 05:53:33 PM »
Ha!  Your comment hit really close to home Combat.
"If the kid can pay for his car, I think he should be able to drive. I believe that around 13-14, a child turns into a real person, and I think it's fair if he/she learns the actual, real-world consequences of their actions, rather than an artificial punishment from parents."
I agree to a certain extent, where we differ is, as an adult I am financially and legally responsible for said "child" until they are 18.  What the child does directly affects the adult.  My house - my rules, apply.  Once the "child" turns 18, they are now an adult and your reasoning directly applies.  Apparently I'm a Class 1 A Bit*h, becuase after not paying "her" phone bill two months in a row, I disconnected it, also all her medical bills went directly into her room, and out of my control(read checking account).  My reasoning is, if she is considered to be an adult to the world and can make her own medical, financial and legal decisions, then she can pay for them.  Unfortunately, in our situation, Daddy hasn't made that clear, nor has he enforced the standard.  I do whenever and wherever I can, and am viewed as a hard-ass.  I like to think of it as being realistic.
Phone bill is in my name, as an additional line.  I disconnected the wires in the phone jack in her room, but still pay the bill.  That's how I can be online at home right now! lol  
Okay, definately class 1A, but I've heard of worse stepmothers.  My ex step kids wouldn't agree with my self-evaluation, but they are very responsible.

HForrest

Pretty disturbing
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2005, 05:55:46 PM »
I really don't care about the practicality (or lack therof) and hopelessness of my actions against this thing, it's about principle.

jefnvk

• friend
  • I'll sleep away the days and ride the nights...
Pretty disturbing
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2005, 06:40:12 PM »
So this is to go to the UC or CSU colleges?

I'd not fill it out.  And then not go to either, and let them know why.
I still say 'Give Detroit to Canada'

Michigander

• friend
Pretty disturbing
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2005, 02:36:13 AM »
I read something somewhere about the "No Child Left Behind Act" requiring schools to transfer information from one school to the next following the student. IIRC, it requires all information, not just grades. Things like disiplinary information, behaviour, etc.
What if the hokey pokey is really what it's all about?

Antibubba

• friend
Pretty disturbing
« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2005, 05:01:29 PM »
On a different note, CW, I had no idea you were so "immature" (i.e, 16).  You just haven't been putting forth your ideas in the half-formed, arrogant bluster of your peers.  I shall now know better. Wink

Seriously, I never would've guessed your age by the way you express yourself.  I'm impressed.
If life gives you melons, you may be dyslexic.