Author Topic: Saltwater/surfcasting reels  (Read 1853 times)

mtnbkr

• friend
Saltwater/surfcasting reels
« on: August 27, 2005, 06:39:42 PM »
I need a new reel for my saltwater rig.  Currently, I'm using my dad's old reel that's an internal spool model.  Nowadays, most reels are skirted, but Penn still sells an internal reel model called the Spinfisher Z (http://tackledirect.com/penspinz.html).  Does anyone know if there's a benefit to using the old internal design?

What do I even look for?  Compared to what I have now, just about anything is an improvement technology-wise.  I don't want to spend too much money as I only use this 1-2 times a year.

I'd keep my old reel except that it likes to trip it's bail in the middle of hail mary casts.  Not good when you're tossing a quarter pound or more of lure, lead, hooks, and leader...

BTW, the fishing this past week sucked.  I caught a sea trout that was just under the legal limit, a spot, and a couple fish that were too small to bother identifying.  That's for an entire week.  Last year, I caught 8 decent sized mullet and bluefish in a two day period.   Ah, it could be worse though.  Even on a bad fishing day, standing in the crystal clear surf off of Oregon Inlet while trying to catch fish is better than being in Northern Virginia. Smiley

Chris

« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2005, 08:04:42 PM »
I have not Salt water fished much as I am too far inland.  I have done some and had/have folks more into Saltwater.

WE all prefer the OLDer Penn Reels.  All my Penns are  the OLDer all metal. The new ones are graphite and metal that I have seen locally - I am guessing the Saltwater models are also graphite and metal.

I would look for an OLDer one. That is what I and my friends do. Like firearms , folks have to have the lastest and greatest, they trade in the OLDer classics for the  new models.  I would see whom is the nearest Authorized Rod and Reel Repair Service near you, especially if they do Penns.

Here Locally I use Arkansas Rod & Reel. Many times they have something, or secure for me and others the Classics. Perhaps someone trades one in. Perhaps someone does not want to pay the service bill and instead of getting a great reel gone thru...trade it in on a new reel.  Penns, ABU Garcia 5000s and 5500s, Shimanos, Pflugers...the old workhorses that always work.

I would contact the nearest Authorized Dealer and tell them what you want and get an idea of Price. They can keep eyes and ears open for you. These Authorized Dealers do work with other ADs, so they have a AD stay on the alert as well. Some attend Estate Sales and Auctions too. Just like firearms, there are some sweet deals to be had.

If I did not do Penn, I'd use Shimano. Shimano has a known history of gears in and such in other applications such as bicycles. They also had some proprietary designs and metallurgy. Translated - Shimano makes great reels. I still prefer the Older ones with less bells and whistles.

Long skirted spools were to provide less line twist due to memory and to aid in casting distance, If you notice most of these have rear drag. Most rear drag has less surface area for the drag. Drags can get hot, and be erratic. About this time the "pop off" spool became popular.  Well yes having a spare spool is wise. Smart to have backup line, and backup drag ( see below). Kinda handy to have two different line weights to make things more versatile.

Regular skirts - of old anyway - had the Front Drag. Larger Drag surface and so much more reliable and smoother, did not get as hot and fail either.  Personally I am in the camp the Regular Spool with the Front Drag is the most reliable and smooth - also a lot easier to adjust the drag and get a more sensitive setting than having to fiddle with the rear ones...espeically if "game on".

Some of the newer Regular skirts have the pop off feature with a front drag.  It really depends on the model as to the quality of the drag. I never really worried about "pop off" - I mean I gotta run the guides and all anyway. If I use the reel correctly I lessen the chance/ need to undo a gimped up line of the reel.

Internal Skirted.  
WEll I was skeptical at first. Then again as usual my elders and mentors were right. I first used these as a kid with freshwater. Hard to explain, I was transitioning from a Zebco 33 Tongue
Internal has a "balance", that is hard to describe. It casts veeerry smooth. The Drag is different in the way it seems to be smoother as well. Now this part is what got me. I was taught to use the hands / finger "on the reel". More sensitive to nibbles and such, able to assist the line in casting, and to aid in reeling in ( no rats nest). Internal is "right there" - one has more control of the features of the reel.

That make any sense? Smiley  I like the Internal.  Sometimes because of this feature alone one can steal a great reel for little monies.

Understand last time in the Keys I was showing Florida folks how a cane pole worked and how us Dumb Arkies use a throw net.  Not sure what the "baitfish" were called - kept catching them with pole and net. I also hold the record for catching the most "Sloppy Joe's"  hats with a throw net...dang women, she kept having her hat get in the drink and I kept having to cast the net to retrieve it. Wind kicked up  ...uh huh...that sixth time I caught out of the corner of my  eye her flinging it into the waves...The Record is six btw...Smiley

mhdishere

• friend
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2005, 03:57:10 AM »
mtnbkr,
Just remember, a bad day of fishing beats a good day of working anytime!

As for the skirted spool, my understanding is that it helps keep sand, salt and other crud out of the reel mechanism.  Personally I've used both for surf fishing and never found that the fish cared one way or the other what type of reel I used.

If I were you I'd bring my rod (or at least the butt end of it) to the fishing store and try a few reels in your price range on it, buy the one that feels best to you.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2005, 05:11:59 AM »
SM, I hear ya on the old equipment, but this IS old equipment and it's letting me down.  One thing I like about the new Penn Spinfisher Z is that it looks like my old reel, but has a mechanism to specifically block the problem I'm having.  My only problem is the price (they're cheaper on ebay though).  BTW, my "medium" rig is a Penn #9 levelwind.  I think it's older than me.  My grandfather gave it to me in semi-working condition.  I rebuilt it and mounted it on a Berkely Cherrywood rod.  It too did some fishing at OBX this week.

mhdishere, good idea on taking the rod to the store.  I never considered that. Smiley

Chris