Author Topic: Don't leave your scent blocker spray on the tailgate  (Read 11106 times)

Kingcreek

• friend
Don't leave your scent blocker spray on the tailgate
« on: October 07, 2013, 01:05:05 PM »
Especially if you are trespassing to bow hunt in my timber.
I found your tree stand a week ago but I left it there so I could find out who you are. I know you're young (19-20) but ought to know better. I followed your trail and found out you've been parking in the neighbors hay field in a low spot not visible from the road. You probably didn't notice the 2' twig I had stuck in the wheel track before you drove your truck in last night. I noticed it was flattened and while you were hunting in my timber, I hiked in and checked out your truck and so now I know who you are. If your tree stand is still there next weekend it's mine and the game warden will be there to meet you.
Oh and about that almost full spray bottle of scent blocker? The one you left on your tailgate? I poured it out on the ground. After a bit I felt kinda bad about that so I refilled it with the only liquid I had at my disposal. Notice the yellow tinted clear fluid?
Enjoy your hunt. Let me know how that scent blocking spray stuff works for you.
What we have here is failure to communicate.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
Re: Don't leave your scent blocker spray on the tailgate
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2013, 01:06:59 PM »
Win.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2013, 01:07:19 PM »
Oh and about that almost full spray bottle of scent blocker? The one you left on your tailgate? I poured it out on the ground. After a bit I felt kinda bad about that so I refilled it with the only liquid I had at my disposal. Notice the yellow tinted clear fluid?

BWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Are you a cook, or a RIFLEMAN?  Find out at Appleseed!

http://www.appleseedinfo.org

"For some many people, attempting to process a logical line of thought brings up the blue screen of death." -Blakenzy

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2013, 01:08:11 PM »
 =D
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2013, 01:15:25 PM »
Especially if you are trespassing to bow hunt in my timber.
I found your tree stand a week ago but I left it there so I could find out who you are. I know you're young (19-20) but ought to know better. I followed your trail and found out you've been parking in the neighbors hay field in a low spot not visible from the road. You probably didn't notice the 2' twig I had stuck in the wheel track before you drove your truck in last night. I noticed it was flattened and while you were hunting in my timber, I hiked in and checked out your truck and so now I know who you are. If your tree stand is still there next weekend it's mine and the game warden will be there to meet you.
Enjoy your hunt. Let me know how that scent blocking spray stuff works for you.

You sir, win the Intranets for 1 month!
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2013, 01:19:47 PM »
I'm feeling like crap, and having a stressful time in the office, but that story just brightened my day. Beautiful. :rofl:
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2013, 01:47:28 PM »
Bravo, Sir.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

HankB

• friend
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2013, 01:52:20 PM »
Nicely done.  :rofl:

Years ago I spoke to a fellow who had some undeveloped land in MN, somewhere up past Alexandria. He had "permanent"  tree stands erected, and was rather upset to find strangers had cut the lock to his gate, parked on his little road, and were occupying his tree stands.

Not being interested in confronting armed lawbreakers himself, and figuring they were probably buddies with the local constabulary (he'd been down this path before) . . . he quietly withdrew.

But upon passing up the tresspasser's cars on the way out, he made sure they'd have to walk out of there. (This was before cell phones.)
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2013, 02:11:31 PM »
I shared this story with a colleague, and he replied with an ARFcom tale about a landowner who found a tree stand he didn't place, and posted a no trespassing sign. Returned to find the sign torn down and the stand padlocked. He went to his barn in search of bolt cutters, but found his chainsaw first...
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2013, 02:25:06 PM »
I get permission to hunt various pieces of private property, sometimes I am the only hunter allowed, sometime 1 or 2 other hunters and I try to get to know the other people who have permission, so vehicles, blinds, stands are all known of who owns what. If I see a unknown stand on shared property I call the folks with permission to see who it belongs too if none of them I call the landowner. If the landowner doesn't know then its fair game to take the stand/blind and move it to another piece of land I hunt on for me to use.

I can't stand tresspassers, especially since much of the private land I hunt I do labor for the landowner or I bring them gifts, such a Christmas Ham, gourmet coffee, booze, etc.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2013, 02:26:45 PM »
Also, pick up some skunk cover scent, apply liberally to the vehicle of the trespasser. Bonus points if they forget to lock their vehicle.

Uranus is a gas giant.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2013, 03:36:46 PM »
It ought to be legal to shoot trespassers...especially poaching trespassers...

he made sure they'd have to walk out of there.

Cutting valvestems with a pocketknife disables a vehicle very well...

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2013, 03:43:19 PM »
It ought to be legal to shoot trespassers...especially poaching trespassers...

OP didn't say if the neighbor gave him permission to trespass into the hayfield.

Uranus is a gas giant.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2013, 03:45:57 PM »
Hehehehehe
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

Jocassee

• Buster Scruggs Respecter
  • friends
  • "First time?"
« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2013, 03:50:36 PM »
When I was young and stupid I may have accidentally trespassed a time or two. Not hunting, just walking, where private land intersperses with large USFS lots.

After getting a clue, I now consult the GIS system and a compass as best I can so I know what is where.

There is really no reason to trespass to hunt. If you are young and feel like you have nowhere to go, it's time to join a related org or make friends with responsible adults in your circle who hunt. If you demonstrate you are not a punk you will probably be invited. I don't hunt but I have been invited many times by people who know I shoot.
I shall not die alone, alone, but kin to all the powers,
As merry as the ancient sun and fighting like the flowers.

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2013, 03:53:52 PM »

Channel-locks (for the extra reach so you don't have to bend so much) work very well in removing them - just like the guys at the tire store do.

Head curmudgeon of our tribe cruises his land with chains, Kryptonite locks, game cameras, small GPS, and a nasty battery-operated saw he uses to cut steps off of stands that are not yet his.  (He is also a fair welder.)  Seems the Magistrate and Judges have some dificulty ignoring photo evidence that is not only time/date-stamped but location-stamped.  And since it's his land he can put as many boards as he wants along his private road.

Bow season just opened last Saturday and he's already had to help two pickup trucks off his land.  I think for the next one he's going to wrap the tow chain around the door pillars before he hooks it up to his tractor.  (Or, of course, if the driver does not want his assistance, they could push their vehicle the roughly 2 miles to the county road.)

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2013, 04:02:41 PM »
I know the kid's father and he's an OK guy but not a hunter so the kid wouldn't have been raised with good hunter ethics. I just know who he is by his truck. I don't know him personally but my feeling is he might be a bit of an arrogant and spoiled young man. The hayfield is owned by a guy that owns a lot of parcels of land (no fences) and doesn't care who hunts what. He lives about 10 miles away and probably drives by it 3 times a year. If the landowner was asked I'm sure he would have given permission but there aren't any trees in this hayfield.
I don't want to start an issue that winds up with dad involved or the neighbor. I will probably give the young guy some advice if I see him sometime, but it irks me that he never even asked. He just snuck in, even though it's posted.
What we have here is failure to communicate.

geronimotwo

• friend
« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2013, 04:04:32 PM »
a friend of mine has an issue with the neighbors tree stand being located right next to the line and facing his property.  he doesn't want to make waves, but it ticks me off to see them cut sight lanes on his property.
make the world idiot proof.....and you will have a world full of idiots. -g2

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #18 on: October 07, 2013, 04:48:27 PM »
Very well done sir!
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #19 on: October 07, 2013, 05:20:27 PM »
Not being interested in confronting armed lawbreakers himself, and figuring they were probably buddies with the local constabulary (he'd been down this path before) . . . he quietly withdrew.

And some people, even purported "gunnies," don't think we "civilians" should be allowed to own things like APCs, tanks, and F-16s.

Maybe the folks who don't think we should own such toys are the kind of people who hunt on other people's property without permission ...
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #20 on: October 07, 2013, 05:31:16 PM »
I agree, but more pragmatically, a chainsaw and a few strategic fallen trees, and a modest backhoe can achieve much of the same ends, and have obvious plausible deniability for the landowner if used.

http://cdn.randomfunnypicture.com/pictures/882back-hoe-truck-stuck.jpg
I promise not to duck.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #21 on: October 07, 2013, 07:02:44 PM »
a friend of mine has an issue with the neighbors tree stand being located right next to the line and facing his property.  he doesn't want to make waves, but it ticks me off to see them cut sight lanes on his property.

I'd call the Game Warden, they (hunters) aren't supposed to be doing things like that.

Uranus is a gas giant.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #22 on: October 07, 2013, 09:57:33 PM »
I'd call the Game Warden, they (hunterspoachers) aren't supposed to be doing things like that.

FTFY
Once they break the law they are no longer huunters.

And Kingcreek is a much nicer person than I am.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #23 on: October 08, 2013, 10:15:11 AM »
The piss in the scent blocker is pretty much win in my book.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Jamie B

• friend
  • I am Abynormal
« Reply #24 on: October 08, 2013, 11:25:12 AM »
We have 110 acres in prime Southern OH deer hunting territory.

I have taken 4 stands and several cameras over the years.

I carry a bag of smoke bombs when out for those stands on the property lines.

I love the smell of sulphur in the morning.....
Greatness lies not in being strong, but in the right use of strength - Henry Ward Beecher

The Almighty tells me He can get me out of this mess, but He’s pretty sure you’re f**ked! - Stephen