Author Topic: Submitted for your approval...  (Read 3418 times)

BakerMikeRomeo

Re: Submitted for your approval...
« Reply #25 on: March 22, 2007, 04:55:06 PM »
Where does one find white parts like that for an AR?

At Ace Hardware, in the Spray Paint aisle. Cheesy
Two cans of Krylon Fusion white, one can Krylon Fusion Satin Grey, one can Krylon Chrome Aluminum, and one can Krylon Fusion Matte Finish. Woo!

Quote from: Manedwolf
Why not steelcase nickel-plated-bullet ammo?

Wolf is all I have kickin' around.

I made a discovery while taking the pictures of that thing: point-and-shoot camera, shaky hands, and bad light do not make for the best of artsy-pants pictures.

I'm trying to come up with a good name for it. My Nano is in the picture 'cause the iPod was my *pretentious* Inspiration */pretentious* for the color scheme, so I'm trying to come up with a good Apple iThing style one. iGun is too generic, and i15 I think takes too long to say...

~GnSx

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
  • Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
« Reply #26 on: March 22, 2007, 04:59:32 PM »
iPoodle (shooter)
"Not all unwise laws are unconstitutional laws, even where constitutional rights are potentially involved." - Eugene Volokh

"As for affecting your movement, your Rascal should be able to achieve the the same speeds no matter what holster rig you are wearing."

Brian Williams

• friend
  • I want one of these
« Reply #27 on: March 22, 2007, 05:06:45 PM »
My son said
"Blanco Fantastico"
Brian
<><
:)

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #28 on: March 22, 2007, 05:14:00 PM »
iAR gun®
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #29 on: March 22, 2007, 05:16:03 PM »
...Two cans of Krylon Fusion white, one can Krylon Fusion Satin Grey, one can Krylon Chrome Aluminum, and one can Krylon Fusion Matte Finish...
How did the Chrome Aluminum paint turn out?  I need to paint a bike part silver, but I wasn't sure which of the hardware store's 27 different varieties of silver spray paint to use.  It's remarkably easy to end up with fugly silver spray paint job, and I want to avoid that.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #30 on: March 22, 2007, 08:13:46 PM »
Disapproved.

Thanks, Mike.  I've been trying to put my thoughts together on the matter, and you've done it for me.  Of course, I just hate the whole gun, regardless of color. 
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #31 on: March 23, 2007, 05:23:04 AM »
I hope you used high-temp (engine) paint on certain parts?

Otherwise, that could get interesting after a long fast-firing session...

Regular spraypaint will bubble and flake off hot metal. Engine/manifold paint, which comes in silver and quite a few other colors, won't. In fact, engine enamel would just bake on and become a nice, hard finish.

Mags, especially steel ones, if disassembled and the follower taken out, could be painted with enamel and then baked for a few hours at low heat (check the manufacturer) to get a durable finish less likely to scratch off in the well. And, of course, I hope those weren't teflon-coated mags, or the paint's gonna come off. Smiley

BakerMikeRomeo

« Reply #32 on: March 23, 2007, 07:45:08 PM »
How did the Chrome Aluminum paint turn out?  I need to paint a bike part silver, but I wasn't sure which of the hardware store's 27 different varieties of silver spray paint to use.  It's remarkably easy to end up with fugly silver spray paint job, and I want to avoid that.

You can sort of see how it looks on the rifle, but the lighting is bad. It's definitely obvious that it's silver spray paint, and not an actual chrome/steel/aluminum jobbie. On the other hand, I haven't managed to scratch it yet, and it seems significantly more resistant to chipping and variously otherwise getting hosed up than the Krylon Fusion is. One screwy factor with the look of the silver on iAR ("eye-are" Thanks, Harry!) is that it has a coat of Krylon Fusion Sketchy Matte Finish over it. It was five bucks at the hardware store, and it looks acceptable (well, as silver ARs go..) for five bucks spent. I hope some of that helped.

Quote from: Manedwolf
hope you used high-temp (engine) paint on certain parts?

A brief aside: it took me like six months to figure out your name. Maned Wolf. Like, a wolf with a mane. For the longest time I read it as Man-ed-wolf and for the life of me I couldn't figure out what the hell you were on about.

And no, it's all Krylon Maximum Sketch paint. I did poke around for "Heat" paints and "Grill" paints and "Engine" paints, but Ace didn't have any in the colors I wanted (who would want to paint an engine sissy schoolgirl white?).

Otherwise, that could get interesting after a long fast-firing session...

Regular spraypaint will bubble and flake off hot metal. Engine/manifold paint, which comes in silver and quite a few other colors, won't. In fact, engine enamel would just bake on and become a nice, hard finish.

Yeah. I expect my first time out is going to get a little grody. There's overspray (and, uh, just regular ol' paint) on the barrel and gas tube which I am sure will flake and burn and generally otherwise be gross with the swiftness when I take it to the range for its first post-painting shooting. I imagine that also the brass deflector, charging handle and maybe the delta ring and maybe the inside of the (heat-shielded, of course) handguards will also catch a butt-kickin' for being lawn-furniture paint on a gun.

This was my first time "refinishing" (shut up, I can hear you snickering) a firearm, and I didn't want to spend a hundred dollars on an airbrush and canned air or a compressor and a bunch of wacky products I'd have to mix up and screw around with and adjust and this-that-and-the-other just to end up with something stupid or irreparable. I figure the krylon is undurable enough that in time it'll flake, burn, bubble and get-the-hell-scratched-out-of-it away, and I can do something a little bit more sensible with my rifle.

Mags, especially steel ones, if disassembled and the follower taken out, could be painted with enamel and then baked for a few hours at low heat (check the manufacturer) to get a durable finish less likely to scratch off in the well. And, of course, I hope those weren't teflon-coated mags, or the paint's gonna come off.

They were "grey with shiny showing through the scratches" CProducts mags before I laid into them with the krylon. And if you look at the white mag that's on the bottom, I think you can probably see the scratchy, grisly results of my first attempt to stuff it in the paint-caked magwell. Woo!

Live and learn, and then send it to a gunsmith...

~GnSx

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #33 on: March 24, 2007, 01:35:52 AM »
And no, it's all Krylon Maximum Sketch paint. I did poke around for "Heat" paints and "Grill" paints and "Engine" paints, but Ace didn't have any in the colors I wanted (who would want to paint an engine sissy schoolgirl white?).

I take it you don't have any PROPER auto-parts stores in the area. Suburban "oh, I need some car wash soap!" kinds don't count. You want the kind that when you walk in, are full of muscle-car chromed hood intakes and truck winches. They'll have exhaust manifold paint in silver, cherry red, and all sorts of other colors.

And if you really want to do it "permanently", DuraCoat DOES come in white, since it's part of their camopacks. Smiley

BakerMikeRomeo

« Reply #34 on: March 24, 2007, 01:51:50 PM »
I take it you don't have any PROPER auto-parts stores in the area. Suburban "oh, I need some car wash soap!" kinds don't count. You want the kind that when you walk in, are full of muscle-car chromed hood intakes and truck winches. They'll have exhaust manifold paint in silver, cherry red, and all sorts of other colors.

Actually, now that you mention it, there's an Advance Auto Parts like 200 yards away from the Ace Hardware. Once the shady Krylon starts to wear off, I might snoop around there for exhaust manifold paints in the 'ppropriate colors.

And if you really want to do it "permanently", DuraCoat DOES come in white, since it's part of their camopacks. Smiley

Your momma's so tactical she's got a DuraCoated wedding band.. *cough* but yeah, I know DuraCoat comes in pretty much every color under the sun, I just didn't want to buy an airbrush and have to screw around with hardener and elasticiser or thinner or all that mess just yet. Thanks for the heads up, though.

~GnSx